X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v lith ion dying

When I originally bought the auto shift 18v lith ion drill I received an battery that the charger said was charged but did not work in my drill. I brought the drill back and received a new battery and drill that worked great until last week. The battery is doing the same thing again. I'm sure its nnot the charger because my other battery works and chargers just fine. Does anyone have any ideas of why this happens?

Re: 18v lith ion dying

I have 2 of the 18V LiOn batteries. One of them does completely fine, meaning is charges and works great. The other one for some reason will not charge on the charger and flashes defective battery. This charger will however charge the other LiOn battery fine and all of my Nicad batteries. When I take the "defective" battery to a buddies charger, it charges fine. Can't figure this one out either. The batteries get completely discharged before recharging also.

Comment

Well I would be satisfied ith a defective message but the charger either just flashes red or it will eventually flash green and in about 10 minutes it will say it is charged. But when I. Put it in my drill or any other tool nothing happens. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment

jdg05: Don't completely discharge your lith ion tools. Lith Ion is not nicad. Read your manual.

Comment

ErikReppen - I did read the manual and it says "...Instead, power from the battery pack will drop from full to zero once the full charge has been drained from the battery. Once this happens, recharging of the battery is required. It is not necessary to drain the battery completely before recharging. Lithium-Ion battery packs have no memory and can be recharged at any time..."

So, from reading that, one can fully "drain" the battery during use or continually charge it during use. That is my interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg05 View Post
            I have 2 of the 18V LiOn batteries. One of them does completely fine, meaning is charges and works great. The other one for some reason will not charge on the charger and flashes defective battery. This charger will however charge the other LiOn battery fine and all of my Nicad batteries. When I take the "defective" battery to a buddies charger, it charges fine. Can't figure this one out either. The batteries get completely discharged before recharging also.

I had this problem too. I just took the battery off and plugged it back in a few times and it works. Just hangs up a bit at times.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikReppen View Post
              jdg05: Don't completely discharge your lith ion tools. Lith Ion is not nicad. Read your manual.
              100% False. LiOn Battereies maintain a full charge until they are dead or 100% drained. It is virtually impossible to know when a LiOn battery is nearly dead. In NiCad you can hear it running low on juice, not the case with LiOn.

Comment

wrong, you can tell when a lith ion is going dead or partially charged, the milwaukee xc batteries have a "gas gage" that tells you how much charge is left, but just for the record all lithium ion batteries are no good the dont take a charge, wont hold a charge and the manufacturers wont admit to this problem but the more you read the more you will find out from other users that this is a fact

sr

Comment

Originally posted by ruzis View Post
                  wrong, you can tell when a lith ion is going dead or partially charged, the milwaukee xc batteries have a "gas gage" that tells you how much charge is left, but just for the record all lithium ion batteries are no good the dont take a charge, wont hold a charge and the manufacturers wont admit to this problem but the more you read the more you will find out from other users that this is a fact

sr
                  Come on....You bought a Milwaukee LI set, had problems with it and returned it and now you are posting all over this forum that you know the "secret" and LI batts are no good. I suggest you don't know what your talking about. We have over 60 cordless tools and use both NIcad and LI batts and work them hard every day. All of our crews prefer the LI batts becuase they are light, powerful, hold a long charge and can be recharged at any time. All the contractors around here are converting to LI batts for the same reasons.
                  Oh, by the way....it has been our experiance that there is no drop off in performance for LI batts when discharging. They pretty much deliver full power until they run out of charge and stop.
                  Ray

Comment

Working...
                  X