New compact table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New compact table saw

This still doesn't exist according to ridgid.com / homedepot.ca / homedepot.com, but they've had them in boxes in one of the local HDs for a month or so now and finally took one out for display; here's some (amazingly low-quality, sorry) photos.

It's got a Bosch 4100-style split blade guard / antikickback / riving knife arrangement, with snap-on/off to mount/unmount. It's small, dewalt 744-sized but with a normal fence rather than the rack and pinion. The fence is nothing like as nice as the TS2400 fence, but it seemed fairly good as far as small fences go, if you see what I mean. (no grippy thumbwheel to adjust it with).

The table extends, and as far as I could work out you lock the fence to 13" on the extending section, then read distance from a fixed point on the body while the ruler on the fence slides next to a static ruler (ie, not unrolling like the TS2400). Pivoting/raise/lower the blade is a similar mechanism to the 2400.

CDN$349 -- the 2400 sells for CDN$549, and it seems like about the right price for this one given how it compares. (the miter gauge is cheesier, for instance, but it's a real miter gauge in t-slots, and it should work okay)

I didn't try to pick it up, but I suspect it'd be liftable one-handed; the wheels/handle look functional, and there's no stand so you'd need something else to get it to a usable height but you're not hauling a stand around if you're happy to work on the ground.

Anyway, just thought people might be interested.

Re: New compact table saw

I believe there is a Craftsman version of this saw that looks exactly the same. I don't know if it is the same price though.

Comment

ANY new table saw design after Jan 2008 has to have a riving knife and no-tools required removal/replacement of the guard. Existing designs can continue to be sold until Dec 2011 I believe it is, then they must be withdrawn or revised to include a new style, approved guard and riving knife setup.

What is the RIDGID model number of this saw? Can't make it out on the box in the photos.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Yey, ridgid copies Dewalt DW745. Too bad this one costs more and doesn't have a rack and pinion system like dewalt does. No deal.

Comment

I found the CM clone:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921828000P

There are some subtle differences, different retractable handle etc. The silver/gray table "looks" beefier than the non-stick cook top on the CM. They both have wheels unlike the Dewalt 745. 24" rip over the Dewalt's 16". The CM accepts a 6" dado up to 1/2" width. The Dewalt site says "N/A" under dado for the 745.

The Ridgid looks like a neat little saw to throw in the truck when your buddies call for help. The CM I'm not sure. Sometimes CM seems to "cheapen" the specs. when they order from TTI.

Just My $.02
          Ern

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
            Yey, ridgid copies Dewalt DW745. Too bad this one costs more and doesn't have a rack and pinion system like dewalt does. No deal.
            Really? Last time I checked the DW745 retails at Sears for $429USD. The new portable RIDGID TS is only $349CAD which as of today is only $285USD. As you can see from my occupation I am an accountant as well as a carpenter (two professions values come in pretty handy) and $285 is not more than $429, maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I've been interested in this TS for a while. I own a TS3650 an love it but was thinking about getting a TS2410 as well for the portability for jobs that required a TS at the jobsite, but when I saw the eflyer with this new saw I thought maybe it would be better seeing as it's smaller, and well cheaper than the TS2410 (and yes, the DW745) even if it sold for a straight USD to CAD, $349, hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

I think the model # is R4516

Comment

This is a definite knock off of both DeWalt models and the Bosch saw. The rack and pinion feature is a great thing which of course they missed the boat on, again, here. Wheels? What is the point and purpose of them? I realize it has a pull handle but little plastic wheels aren't usually very effective around a job site and tend to break. Hopefully they are covered under the LSA.
              I believe the DeWalt 745 is around $375 which is certainly a better deal if for nothing else just the fence alone and I believe it was a larger cut capacity as well. I did see their 744 w/new stand al Lowes for $525ish.

Comment

I took a close look at this saw before buying the TS2410. Yes it is compact but the fence was the biggest disappointment. It seems very *flimsy* in my opinion the metal forming the fence is very thin steel unlike its bigger brother and doesnt operate smoothly as it doesnt lock into its track instead just slides on a groove. Kind of reminds me of the $99 Delta I have been using and for the price of $349 I dont think Ridgid has a winner in this saw. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

Comment

Specs for Dewalt DW744 series
                  http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=15325

This is a tried and proven model. In my area contractors use and like it very much. It's where I would put my money if I were about to purchase a portable table saw.

Let's do keep in mind it is not a serious cast iron contractor and sure not a cabinet type of table saw, but it can do some good work given a skilled user and a little time to do it right.

Comment

To confirm a couple of answers; yup, it's R4516, and yes, the Sears one is essentially the same thing. Also, while the fence clamps at both ends (ie, it has a bar running all the way down it for the required mechanism) it's certainly a lot flimsier than the 2400 fence, and there's no slots so it's less adaptable.

(much) higher-quality photos (coincidentally next to a Dewalt) attached.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dmitchrid; 02-12-2009, 01:16 PM.

Comment

And here's a really big shot of the back of the box, in case anyone wants to read specs / whatnot.
                      Attached Files

Comment

does any one know if the new safety guard design can be bolted or fastened to an older saw?
                        Last edited by pesciwasp; 02-13-2009, 12:05 AM.

Comment

is that little saw a belt drive and not a direct drive?
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

From my exam of the saw it is a direct drive like its bigger brother.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                              does any one know if the new safety guard design can be bolted or fastened to an older saw?
                              Not usefully -- you could possibly take the metal parts of the guard from the 2400 and make appropriate slots in it to fit the new plastic bits of the blade guard, but that wouldn't really get you anything significant.

The whole point of the new design is that it's all based around a riving knife so it raises/lowers/tilts with the blade -- and you can't retrofit a riving knife to a saw that doesn't have one already.

Comment

Working...
                              X