X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about 18 volt X3 drill

So I recently (tuesday morning) bought the new X3 kit.I love this kit, this thing has monsterous amounts of power and outstanding features.

Now I have what is probably a stupid question about the drill. When drilling with it, and the drill torques, is the drill designed that the handle snaps to the side, or is my drill already broken. A few times now, when drilling with it, the drill will grab and torque clockwise and the handle seems to break away. Is that right?

If it is, thats an awesome feature, if not, well that sucks my brand new drill is already broken.

Thanks for any answers, and please be kind with my stupid question

Jeff

Re: question about 18 volt X3 drill

Jeff,
    It sounds like the bit is binding in the material that's all. Unless your drill is actually coming apart, I would say this is not unusual, especially if you are using large self-feeding, or paddle bits.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
      Jeff,
      It sounds like the bit is binding in the material that's all. Unless your drill is actually coming apart, I would say this is not unusual, especially if you are using large self-feeding, or paddle bits.

Ern
      Yes it is binding, that I am not concerned with. My concern is the handle of the drill actually breaks away to the right, or counter clockwise, when the drill binds or torques hard in a clockwise motion. Is that supposed to happen or is the handle of my drill broke? It seems as though it is supposed to happen as I can't seem to make it happen in any other situation. If I am just holding onto the drill, the handle will not snap counter clockwise like it will when it is drilling and binds down.

Jeff

Comment

Doesn't sound normal, but I don't own an X3 either, so I can't say for a certainty. But, I don't believe that any tool should give way at the handle, as you've explained, as it could cause an unexpected injury. My suggestion would be to return it for a new set under the 90 day HD return policy

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
          Doesn't sound normal, but I don't own an X3 either, so I can't say for a certainty. But, I don't believe that any tool should give way at the handle, as you've explained, as it could cause an unexpected injury. My suggestion would be to return it for a new set under the 90 day HD return policy
          It almost seems as though it is there to not cause injury. I have seen a lot of broken wrists from drills binding and torqing hard clockwise, that swhy it seemed to be a cool thing if this is supposed to do it, as it keeps the wrist from snapping hard left as well.

I wish somebody from ridgid would look at there own website and answer a question.

Jeff

Comment

I know about the wrist torque stuff when a drill binds what a pain that can be. Have not seen nor heard of such a breakaway handle as you describe on the X3, but innovations occure all the time. I do know that with the battery being at the base of the handle the electricals run the length of the handle to provide power to the motor. I would think that if the X3 has a breakaway feaure that you mention, the motor and electricals would disengage to avoid snapping the handle altogether to prevent shorting the battery and really causing problems. I'd suggest that you call Ridgid Tech Support for a definitive answer, but to me it doesn't sound right and the unit needs to be replaced as the torque situation that you experienced split the drill casing. Just my thoughts on your situation, but I've been wrong before.

Comment

Working...
            X