X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with my 10" miter saw.

Ok, so I was trying to change the blade on my Rigid 10" miter saw, and now I think I'm screwed. The blade bolt is on SUPER tight. First it wouldn't budge, then it got stripped. What the hell am I to do now?

Re: need help with my 10" miter saw.

I don't know about the Rigid's, but some are reverse threaded. Are you sure you're turning it the right way? Try using some vice grips to grab the stripped bolt.

Comment

My Craftsman is made in the same factory as your Ridgid is and it's righty loosey, lefty tighty.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yes it is supposed to loosen clockwise, and that was the way I was trying to turn it. I can grab the bolt with vise grips because it sits flush down inside the laser housing. It was an allen key bolt. I am so pissed. I need to put up some chair rail in my soon to be born son's nursery and this is all i need to finish it. Damn.

Comment

So you are saying the hex inside the head of the bolt is stripped?

You might try a screw extractor but you will probably have to cut it down to get the right diameter to bite the ID of the bolt. This will most likely require a grinder with a cutting wheel as a hack saw will not touch the hard steel of the extractor.

Hey, a chance to buy a new tool!

Another option that might work (and cheaper than buying a new grinder) would be to get a TORX bit that fits snugly and hammer (tap in this case) it in (but you don't want to beat on your MS too severely). Then carefully turn it in the right direction. If this fails you can drop back to the screw extractor.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Unfortunately, if the screw is so tight that you stripped out a socket hex head, which has some significant bearing surface; I doubt that you'll find a screw extractor will offer more advantage. Of course at this point you have little other choice than what has been suggested.

Of course you have to give this a try first, but the only other suggestion would be to sacrifice the laser in order to get to the actual head of the bolt, where you can then use visegrips. That of course will take some doing in itself. Then you'll have to order or find a replace bolt, all of which puts your CMS out of action for some time.

I'm not sure how this would be handled by a service center and/or whether you even have one close enough to be timely. If not, I think I'd still give them a call (or Ridgid tech support). You could of course rent a CMS from your local rental center to complete your project or perhaps borrow one from a friend if possible.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

first oil the bolt up spray it with some penatrating oil or WD40 let it sit for a while then go to your hardware store and look for an easyout bolt extractor something like this http://www.toolprice.com/product/682...Extractor.html

take your time use plenty of oil and try not to force it too much. you dont want a bent shaft.
              Last edited by Arthur96; 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burnout42 View Post
                Ok, so I was trying to change the blade on my Rigid 10" miter saw, and now I think I'm screwed. The blade bolt is on SUPER tight. First it wouldn't budge, then it got stripped. What the hell am I to do now?

The bolt is reverse threads. My friend had the same problem. We had to heat the bolt up with a mini torch and finally got it out. Ridgid uses a bolt that should of been heat treated more with a deeper female hex for the wrench. We didn't try a screw extractor. Not sure if it would work anyway with reverse threads.
                The owners manual is in the link below if you need it

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B451AF6...ZA_015_eng.pdf

Comment

Gizmoman beat me to the punch. A screw extractor is not going to work because it is made to spin opposite to grab the screw and the screw is already backwards. I'd try the heat trick with the mini torch and the TORQ head to see if you can get it out. Maybe try a metric allen the next size up from the standard one combined with the heat? Good luck with it. I have to put some chair rail up in my soon to be here son's room as well in the next month, hopefully I don't have to take the bolt out! Good luck!

Comment

Yes, a standard twist style screw extractor will not work for reverse threads, but a square one will work in either direction.

TORX bit as I said or I like the idea of trying a metric allen slightly oversize.

You could also TIG weld a bolt on to the head of the stripped one, you're gonna need a new bolt anyway.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X