Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jet benchtop 8" Jointer/Planer combo - anyone?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet benchtop 8" Jointer/Planer combo - anyone?

Contemplating getting a jointer, preferably bench-top due to limitation of space (2-car garage = 2-cars = "shop"). Searched around the web this weekend and saw this: http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=35866257

Apparently Jet has launched a new bench top line of power tools for woodworkers.

They are so new that I can only find ONE (1) person reported to have bought a 10" version Jointer/Planer combo, apparently he is happy with the purchase. I think the current consumer market condition is a bad timing for Jet to launch a new line.

But this 8" combo fits my bill (both space and $) ...... although I don't like the fence (looks flimsy) but don't they all as far as bench-top is concern? ... but for ~$100 more than the Delta Shopmaster, I'll get an 8" planer too.

Ridgid Jointer is still on my list ... there is a corner in the garage where I "may be" able to park it ... but I still worry that it may be a too big and a too heavy duct collector. Which mobile base would you recommend for JP0610?

Decision, decision ....

Re: Jet benchtop 8" Jointer/Planer combo - anyone?

The feature that makes a jointer a jointer is the infeed and outfeed table lengths, this tool has a combined table length of 29" (from what I see in the specs). My 6" Delta has that much on just the in OR out feed table.

A rule of thumb I have heard for jointers is that they can joint a board are reasonably well up to twice the infeed table length. The specs don't list the in and out table lengths so I can only guess that the infeed length is roughly half of the 29" listed, so 14.5" for the infeed is probably within an inch.

If you only work with short boards because your projects are all small in size and could use the 8" width this jointer offers AND have no need to plane wider than 8" this is your tool. Otherwise I'd keep looking or figure a way to get a floor model 6" jointer squeezed in your limited shop space and somehow later fit a planer in there too.

The RIDGID JP610 has no mobile base available unfortunately. HTC and others make universal mobile bases, they are available from Woodcraft and other places.

If I could fit only one tool in a limited space I would consider getting a planer. The new RIDGID planer gets decent reviews but the benchtop planer I like is the DW-735, not cheap but an excellent performer. You can face joint boards up to the width of the planer by making a sled to carry your board through the planer. The sled is nothing more than a good quality FLAT piece of 3/4" ply, some Baltic birch would work nicely, but not the junk 5 ply junk from the big box stores. It needs a stop fastened to the front for the board to rest against as they are both pulled through the planer.

http://modernwoodshop.com/2008/06/18...a-planer-sled/

Edge jointing can be accomplished using a router and/or a table saw.

The choice of a planer over a jointer as first tool after a TS for the shop has been bounced back and forth many times and will undoubtedly draw a fury of replies here. Everyone has their preference and I am just stating mine. But a planer with a sled can do most of what a jointer can. A jointer can not be made to thickness boards with parallel faces. And a planer takes up less space than the jointer.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That's enlightening, Bob. Thanks for the feedback. I have read some shop note about a Jointing jig for TS and am thinking of building one.

I do have a question on this approach for thicker stock e.g. 2" thick, will a Jointing jig (for TS) build from 3/4" MDF sufficient to handle thick stock with the blade raise up to make one pass?

Any potential safety concern that I should not try?

Tks

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
        That's enlightening, Bob. Thanks for the feedback. I have read some shop note about a Jointing jig for TS and am thinking of building one.

I do have a question on this approach for thicker stock e.g. 2" thick, will a Jointing jig (for TS) build from 3/4" MDF sufficient to handle thick stock with the blade raise up to make one pass?

Any potential safety concern that I should not try?

Tks
        There are a couple of TS jointing designs out there, but the basic premise is you have something with a straight edge ride against your fence, and hold the wood to be jointed to that piece of wood. One way to do it, for example is to use some permanent clamps that are high enough to accommodate your 2" piece.

Comment

Working...
        X