X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Drill/Driver: Ridgid Vs. Dewalt

After trying to make up my mind between Ridgid and Dewalt for my new drill/driver, I finally picked up an X3 Hammer Drill this morning. Got it from Home Depot for $149 (regular $299) - it seemed like the perfect opportunity at that price.

Anyone have some experience using these two brands? Did I make the right decision?

The Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement that includes replacement batteries ended up being a big determining factor for me. But I remember reading some negative posts about it I believe - is it as good as advertised?

Thanks guys.

Re: New Drill/Driver: Ridgid Vs. Dewalt

I own battery powered drill/drivers from both Ridgid and DeWalt. Both have performed exactly as they should and have been trouble free. I would buy both brands again in a heartbeat if the tool I happened to be looking at suited my needs.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Speaking of suiting needs… I’ve seen a few people on here suggest buying a dedicated drill/driver (non-hammer), and an additional dedicated hammer drill. I’m assuming this is to avoid people boring 1” holes though 16” of concrete using a drill/driver/hammer drill?

The needs I have for my drill are realistically more suited to a drill/driver, but the convenience of having the hammer drill setting for small masonry holes seemed to make sense to me.

Is there other reasons that I should have bought a non-hammer drill/driver?

Comment

The only considerable difference between the drill/driver and hammer drill would be mainly weight. Drill/driver being a fair bit lighter for just general day to day usage. But if you arent using it for hours on end daily then the weight shouldnt play a factor for you. IMO I think you made the right choices.

Bill

Comment

There's no significant advantage to buying a non-hammer cordless drill. On the professional drills the weight savings is almost non-existant. Non-hammer models come in highly compact varieties for lighter work but these are still no substitute for the full size driver drills. Even then that's starting to change since Makita now has compact hammers as well. Dedicated hammer drills of the corded variety are still quite a bit more effective at the higher end models but if you need to drill 1" holes though neither of them is really suited for that. Thats when you get a rotary hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by dmehak View Post
            After trying to make up my mind between Ridgid and Dewalt for my new drill/driver, I finally picked up an X3 Hammer Drill this morning. Got it from Home Depot for $149 (regular $299) - it seemed like the perfect opportunity at that price.

Anyone have some experience using these two brands? Did I make the right decision?

The Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement that includes replacement batteries ended up being a big determining factor for me. But I remember reading some negative posts about it I believe - is it as good as advertised?

Thanks guys.
            Whether it's good or not is irrelevant.....at that price you essentially paid for the batteries, charger, and bag, and got the drill for free!

But seriously, I think it's a pretty good drill, and a smoking deal at that price.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

Is it possible to buy the other X3 tools individually? Or do you have to buy the 5 piece kit to get them?

Comment

Originally posted by dmehak View Post

Thanks guys.
                If you're not going to be using the drill all day every day and are just looking for a decent non commercial drill than you made a decent choice. However depending on your needs the DeWalt does tend to perform faster and the batteries do last longer. I noticed you mentioned something about the LSA and free batteries but if you spent some time doing some research through the forum I think you would find countless threads with complaints about it.

Comment

The problem with LSA is people see it as an unconditional warranty, as in "it breaks, we replace/fix it forever". LSA is not a priority or contractual service (like Hilti for ex) in any way, so the time it takes to get something thru LSA might cost more than a new tool. People also tend to think this is an over-the-counter exchange. The only time Ridgid will replace anything is when it costs them more to fix it, and that is pretty much never with the exception of batteries. So if your drill burned out, expect it to be repaired and not replaced.

LSA also covers only kits.

Comment

How does the Ridgid LSA compare with Dewalt's warranty?

http://www.dewalt.com/us/warranty_in...nformation.asp

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Looks like they have the same 90 day satisfaction guarantee and 3 year limited warranty, but I also see Dewalt has 1 year free service? Not sure what that is, or if Ridgid has something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post

LSA also covers only kits.
                      That is incorrect.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        That is incorrect.
                        Had me worried there for a second... I couldn't figure out why Ridgid would have covered the box for my drill with information about their LSA if it wasn't included in the program.

Glad to hear it is still covered - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          That is incorrect.
                          In other words, if I buy an extra battery pack or charger from HD for my existing kit it is also covered under LSA?

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                            In other words, if I buy an extra battery pack or charger from HD for my existing kit it is also covered under LSA?
                            Indvidually purchased batteries are not covered. Just another issue with their program.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                              Indvidually purchased batteries are not covered. Just another issue with their program.

But, kits and individually purchased tools - corded and cordless - are eligible for the program. Batteries and chargers purchased individually are not eligible. Ridgid routinely sells their drill/driver kit at times (like right now in Canada for $149) where you get 2 lithium batteries and a charger and they throw in the drill to boot and they're covered under the LSA. If you want one battery for $99 why not 2 and the extras for $49? A little creativity can get you what you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X