"Contractor" Bags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Contractor" Bags

Is it just me, or is anyone else disappointed to see Ridgid supplying these "contractor bags" with their tools? What ever happened to the hinged hard plastic carry cases they used to have?

I find it hard to believe they would make this switch for any other reason than cost. A fabric bag, that's universal, and will fit anything you stuff into it, vs. a blow-molded hard plastic case that actually protects the tool inside, and is custom fit for each different product.

It's too bad really...

Re: "Contractor" Bags

Well, it's sort of a mixed bag.....

The blow molded cases do provide better protection for the specific tool, but
    a lot of space is wasted and you can't store peripherals such as brad nails, saw blades,
    drill bits, etc. easily.

The case also does consume a lot of space VS what they hold.
    The case does protect the tool from damage when tossing [throwing]the case into the rear of a pick up truck

The bag design [Ridgid does offer various designs and sizes] do offer more storage. for example, I have the entire 18V set..drill, impact driver, planer, reciprocating saw, jig saw, circular saw. And they all fit easily into the large Ridgid bag. There is plenty of room for batteries and storage containers of saw blades and drill bits. I did add some 1/8" Masonite to reinforce the bottom. Obviously the bag is quite heavy but the handles allow easy lugging.

So..is there a simple solution for good tool storage? Not really. You will read posts from folks who love the case and hate the bags and vice versa
    If you are trying to locate hard cases try E-bay or the places that sell Ridgid parts. The same goes for the bags.

I like the hard cases for my pneumatic nailers and staplers but room for the nails and staples are minimal. I prefer the hard case as it ensures the tool is kept clean and safe.

I use the bag for the tools I mentioned above..and yes it does bother me somewhat that they can get scuffed up rubbing against each other. but the convenience of lugging one bag instead of a number of cases makes it a good solution for my needs.

Cactus Man

Comment

Both of you have good points, but hard to accept a nylon bag when I just dropped $250 on a framing nailer!

Comment

the tool line my Ridgid tools are replacing came in thos plastic boxes and i found they were a pain in the butt. I would have a saw and drill in the case. I could not fit extra drill bits, screwdriver tipsin the case there was no room. I purchased a sawz all from another company, and it came with a hard case and a bonous bag, it did not take long to transfer the drill and stuff to the bag, easier to carry to work and could load it up with all the extras and the hard cases just end up on a shelf taking up space.
        I got one Ridgid tool in a hard case, a 14.4 impact driver set, and the case has never seen daylight. i put my driver in a bag and I am off to work with it. never take the case.I do not toss my tools around i always place the bag neatly and make sure it does not tip over, it is always over flowing but they work for me.
        Need or want a 14.4 impact driver hard case...i will trade mine for one of those orange bags any time. any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
          the tool line my Ridgid tools are replacing came in thos plastic boxes and i found they were a pain in the butt. I would have a saw and drill in the case. I could not fit extra drill bits, screwdriver tipsin the case there was no room. I purchased a sawz all from another company, and it came with a hard case and a bonous bag, it did not take long to transfer the drill and stuff to the bag, easier to carry to work and could load it up with all the extras and the hard cases just end up on a shelf taking up space.
          I got one Ridgid tool in a hard case, a 14.4 impact driver set, and the case has never seen daylight. i put my driver in a bag and I am off to work with it. never take the case.I do not toss my tools around i always place the bag neatly and make sure it does not tip over, it is always over flowing but they work for me.
          Need or want a 14.4 impact driver hard case...i will trade mine for one of those orange bags any time. any takers?
          If they had a hard case that would fit my framing nailer, I would trade you!

Comment

As a DIYer I like them both The Ridgid 18V drill/impact combo came with a bag and I kindda like it more than the hard cases as I have with my other DeWalt/Makita drills.

I also have Ridgid tools came with a hard case which I prefer: a 5" ROS and a finished nailer.

I think that for tools whcih I use more often, the bag is more handy. But since I donlt use the ROS and the nailer as much I am glad that they are in hard cases for better storage and protection.

Comment

Most companies are switching to canvas bag. Hard cases are an absurd waste of space. They can hardly hold any accessories for the tools. Canvas bags can be stuffed with just about anything you need. There's no need to neatly organize organize things to get them to close and you can put in a lot more tools. I dont care if they rub against each other or if they are not as protected. These are tools after all, not glassware. They will not be harmed by it. I got rid of most of my hardcases and consolidated everything into a couple of bags bought on ebay.

Comment

Does Ridgid offer just the bags for sale? I recently purchased a reman Ridgid belt sander, but it came without a bag. I would like to get one.

Thanks,
                Steve
                Last edited by dakota350; 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota350 View Post
                  Does Ridgid offer just the bags for sale? I recently purchased a reman Ridgid belt sander, but it came without a bag. I would like to get one.

Thanks,
                  Steve
                  Ebay.

Comment

The Milwaukee set on my truck is in a nice compact contractors bag. The Milwaukee set in the house is in molded cases that take a ridiculous amount of room.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I ABSOLUTELY can NOT STAND "Contractor" bags. It's the one thing I can not stand with my V28 set, yet the V18 Milwaukee set comes with a nice, ridgid, hard case that protects the tools.

I do NOT see the argument about "wasting space," or storing "extras" (accessories).

I like a nice, square or semi square case that protects my tools and allows me to find things quicker, nor is there this big tangle of crap inside the tool bag.

As for storing extras/accessories, I carry a seperate stanley tool box to store all of this such as hole saws, sawzall baldes, hacksaw blades, grinder blades, self feed bits, self feed bit extensions, drill bit cases, pilot drill bit cases, and any other cutting or drilling accessory since it would be rediculous to try and stuff all these into my "contractor" bag and try and find them, or better yet, protect/take care of them, in a timely manner. You would not believe how organizing things this way greatly reduces lost bits, as well as allows you to find the right utensil much faster as opposed to it being stuffed at the bottom of a "contractor" bag.

I also have a seperate tool box that has all my soldering tools - fitting, brushes, flux, solder, small turbo torch, reamer, mini & tubing cutters, etc, so if I need to do any soldering, it's all in the box ready to go and all I need to add are the pipe and fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
                        I will so take you up on that deal if its still open!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dakota350 View Post

Thanks,
                          Steve
                          theres a "recon" Ridgid store where i live, and they have 100s of thoses bags in all sizes. theyre $6.00-$10.00

Comment

As some had pointed out it has more storage and that makes sense to most contractors, I climb into attics and some times in very tight areas so I use the bag to load up on tools and supplies I need without having to lug my tool belt and risk loosing a tool in the insulation. Just my 2 cents

Cheers
                            Glen

Comment

I have likes/dislikes for both. For instance my Impulse I like to keep it in the hard plastic case. It has alot of pieces and thingies that are nice to keep organized. My circular saw and sawzall are tough enough to not need any protection, they get stacked on each other (with care taken to not mess up the table on the circular saw). Nailguns get stored in a custom made compartmentalized box that keeps em organized. I bought a 6 pc dewalt kit many moons ago, I kept everything in the case when I was not using my hands to make a living, but once that changed, the case went away and have never looked back. It took up so much less room. I am always on the prowl for the "contractor bags." I currently have about 6 medium to large bags I keep in the car (yes I said car) holding things that are not fragile and are nice to keep together. I prefer to have hard cases for items that have lots of small pieces that need to stay organized, or are easily damaged.
                              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                              X