Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charger or battery problem on new X3 pack NOT good firs impression

Hi folks,
    just purchased 5pcs X3 tool pack and I'm NOT impressed
    Right out of the box I had to change non working light.
    Problem was the connection to battery on the base.
    Took me 2 trips since they refused to change the light only and forced me to return the whole set.

Now while 2nd battery was charging both Red and Green LED started to flash. No description on the charger but manual states that it means faulty battery or charger....

Should I return it and get different brand ?

Thanks
    Last edited by lifeisfun; 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM.

Re: Charger or battery problem on new X3 pack NOT good firs impression

Did you put the plastic cover on the light? It has a "click in" type switch where the light can only be operated when the cover is on.

If your cover is on with the bulb in and you have no light, then your light is either defective or the bulb is done.

Mine works fine, but didn't until I installed the cover on the bulb. You can check your bulb in any light socket as well............
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

On the first one I had to replace. was problem with the connector that makes contact to the battery. ( Yes, bulb cover MUST be installed in order to get it work )

Comment

Re: Charger or battery problem on new X3 pack NOT good first impression

Originally posted by lifeisfun View Post
        Hi folks,
        just purchased 5pcs X3 tool pack and I'm NOT impressed
        Right out of the box I had to change non working light.
        Problem was the connection to battery on the base.
        Took me 2 trips since they refused to change the light only and forced me to return the whole set.

Now while 2nd battery was charging both Red and Green LED started to flash. No description on the charger but manual states that it means faulty battery or charger....

Should I return it and get different brand ?

Thanks
        Yeah.....not a real good start with a new tool set. We are a contractor and have a bunch of the Ridgid cordless tools using them hard every day and have had few problems.
        Occasionally charger lights will indicate a problem and we pull the battery out and reinsert and the problem goes away. Many others on this forum have posted the same issue. Don't know why this happens, some say it has something to do with the battery protection circuitry.
        Saw your other post regarding a jig saw and the suggestion is correct that the MaxSelect will work with ANY Ridgid 18V batts, in fact any Ridgid 18V tool will work with your 18V batts.
        Good luck....Ray

Comment

Re: Charger or battery problem on new X3 pack NOT good first impression

Thanks for reply Ray
          I tried several times and also left the battery "rest" couple hours
          but every time charging ends in the same error.

Comment

Does it start showing defective as soon as you place the battery on? If not put it on, leave it until it starts flashing, remove, let sit for 10 min or so then replace. After a few times if it doesn't start charging then I would say you are the unluckiest man alive. Then again they always say third times a charm right? I love my X3 set and haven't had any problems with mine (this is my second set though, first had a battery missing).

Comment

It charges for while and than it starts flashing
              I tried what you suggested, I even left the battery rest for couple hours - NO luck.

Comment

At my job we ares 3 to have the drill and impact driver combo with the 1.5 ah lithium ion battery and within 2 month of use we all have one defective battery not good G808
                Last edited by smoktire; 02-15-2009, 01:57 AM.

Comment

ya know, i dont want to rain on anyones parade but afer doing some extensive research i found out a few secrets the tool manufactures dont want anyone to know or spread around: i am a contractor with about 37 years experience, yeah ...i'm old. i have been through the gamet of battery tools, starting with the first 9 vt makitas. i have bought them all, de walt, makita , craftsman, etc, just recently i bouth the millwaukee 18 volt kit, total garbage, fisrt a bad charger, then 3 batteries no good, then 3 new batteries no good , tehn a little detective work, it seems the manufaturer milwaukee who was recently bought out by someone else has a severe problem with the electronis with their new litium line. the dont take a charge, they wont hold a charge and they dont like temsperture under about 35 degrees, after calling around a few repair shops i find out it is a major problem with both millwaukee and makita, many retured batteries and chargers. . and no reture call from millwaukees service line after i inquired. I have been looking to replace my set but i dont konw what to buy, i have been told by the repair shops they dont have an answer, the lithium line is not perfected at theis time feb 09. buyer beware. i retured my $600 set of millwaukee and i am trying to find a replacement, haitachi? panasonic? it seems none like the cold waether. i am in north nj and i do all exterior trim and wood siding so if you are having battery or charger problems, it is not the name brand of your tool, it is the technology of the lithium line, good luck!

Comment

Ruzis,

It wouldn't matter if you had a line of lithium tools made by God himself, they still wouldn't function well in cold weather. Cold weather and lithium batteries DO NOT get along AT ALL. If you are outdoors in cold weather in NJ, as you stated, you need to stay away from lithium, regardless of brand.

Comment

I thought one of the advantages of the lithium battery technology was that it could operate at lower temperatures than the NiCd batteries.

I don't have any Ridgid Li batteries (still not sure the technology is mature, or has proven itself), and cannot speak from experience. Would be interested in other's experience with Ridgid and other manufacturers' Li batteries with use in cold temperatures.

Comment

We are a contractor in upstate NY and are now in our third winter of using 18 and 24 volt LI batts and have extensive experiance using them in below freezing weather with no problems. We bring a bag of batteries to the job in the truck and use them through the day with no problem. If you leave LI batts outside overnight in freezing weather they will not work until you cycle them through the charger for a few minutes and then they are ready to go.
                        As far as LI dependability most of the contractors in our area have been using 18. 24, 28, and 36 volt LI batts in Makita's, Milwaukee's, Ridgid's, DeWalts, craftsman and Bosche tools for the last couple of years now with virtually no problems. They are light, powerful, dependable and can be recharged at any point which for professionals is a real advantage
                        To the guy who claims to have found the "secret" that the manufacturers don't want us to know, I suggest he was listening to the wrong whispers cause LI batts are the prefered professional batts by guys who have thousands of hours of experiance. Oh yeah......Ridgid, Milwaukee, Ryobi and Craftsman are all built by TTI and have been for several years.

Comment

Working...
                        X