18V Li-ION hammer drill cutting out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V Li-ION hammer drill cutting out.

Hi all, new to the forums, however have (and have) several Ridgid tools and have been very happy.
    My wife bought me the X3 18V Hammer Drill for Xmas. I have not had the chance to use it much yet though. Tonight while drilling through several studs with an aggressive 3/4" bit, I noticed that the drill cut right out mid-drilling. No power to light or drill. I replaced the battery with a fresh charged one, which didn't seem to help. It appears when the drill gets bogged down, it just cuts the power right out. I am even able to replicate it with my hand. The drill is in drill mode, and it's not a clutch thing.
    I have noticed that I cannot get the drill to do it in 2nd gear (high torque)

I'd like to know if this is a defect in the drill, or whether that is just the drill not being able to complete the job with that much torque.

Just tried it with my normal Ridgid 14.4V, and I can't stop it, or get it to replicate the new X3

Thoughts

Puppypappa
    Last edited by puppypappa; 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM.

Re: 18V Li-ION hammer drill cutting out.

Originally posted by puppypappa View Post
    The drill is in drill mode, and it's not a clutch thing. I have noticed that I cannot get the drill to do it in 2nd gear (high torque) I'd like to know if this is a defect in the drill, or whether that is just the drill not being able to complete the job with that much torque.
    Just tried it with my normal Ridgid 14.4V, and I can't stop it, or get it to replicate the new X3
    For best performance drilling with a 3/4" bit should be performed in LO (1) speed range. Drill speed will be low but the drill will have more power and torque. HI (2) speed will increase but have less power and torque. Check your manual to see whether (1) or (2) is the LOW range versus HIGH range.

Be sure the drill setting is drill mode and not in a lower clutch setting.

If this does not help you might need to exchange it within the 90 day or proceed with the warranty work
    Last edited by reConx; 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

My new X3 does the same thing if I try to drill with a large (7/8") ship auger bit. Thats how I remember to change it to low speed. Not sure whether it is supposed to do it or not, but mine does it as well.

Jef

Comment

Well, back from my trip to HD. I must say that tonight I was very impressed with their customer service. Much more than on previous occasions. The tool rep let me take 3 off the shelf, and all three reacted the same way. He was surprised, and had never seen it react that way. Especially when I showed him my X2 14.4V that almost ripped his hand off trying the same thing.
        Our only conclusion was a preventative circuitry to prevent damage from either torque or heat buildup within the drill.

An a side note, now that my 14.4V is discontinued, any idea for replacement batteries?

Puppypappa
        Last edited by puppypappa; 02-11-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Well, back from my trip to HD. I must say that tonight I was very impressed with their customer service. Much more than on previous occasions. The tool rep let me take 3 off the shelf, and all three reacted the same way. He was surprised, and had never seen it react that way. Especially when I showed him my X2 14.4V that almost ripped his hand off trying the same thing.
          Our only conclusion was a preventative circuitry to prevent damage from either torque or heat buildup within the drill.

An a side note, now that my 14.4V is discontinued, any idea for replacement batteries?

Puppypappa
          The lithium ion batteries do have battery management circuitry that your 14.4 NiCad batteries do not have that will keep an excessive draw of current from the batteries. They will cut power to the tool which is by design. Most, if not all, lithium tools have preventative circuitry either in the battery or in some cases in the tool itself. When I am drilling something like you were doing, I also us the NiCads because they will allow that kind of amperage pull, but the tool will respond by producing more heat as a biproduct of that action. Replacement batteries are probably best had from ebay from what I've heard on the forum. Hope this helps.

Comment

Puppypappa

Some tool manuf. don't change the battery platform each time they change technology.... something to consider on your next cordless purchase.

Comment

Puppypappa
              We still have them at HD in Auburn, NY and they are available on Ebay

Comment

Working...
              X