X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 - How flat is flat

Just bought a Ridgid TS 3650. I find a 0.0120 inch difference between the right side of the table top and the left side. Is this within the normal parameters for this saw? Not much better than my Delta Shopmaster it is replacing. I am not including the extentions.

Roger1942

Re: TS 3650 - How flat is flat

IIRC, I previously read on this forum that the mfgr spec is .015. If it is all in one area, it can be a problem. If it is small spots, it should not affect the saw's accuracy.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
      IIRC, I previously read on this forum that the mfgr spec is .015. If it is all in one area, it can be a problem. If it is small spots, it should not affect the saw's accuracy.

Go
      Thank you for your prompt reply. The difference is constant all along the left side back to front. I'm puzzled.

Roger1942

Comment

When laying a straight edge across the table, is the drop just in the last couple inches, or is the top bowed? (I guess I'm really asking how you measured it and how far the defect extends across the top).
        Go

Comment

Mine mesures similar. With a 4' straight edge, if I leave it on the table to the right of the left wings clamp openings, everything is perfectly flat. If I move the straight edge to cover the whole table, it seems to be .015 or so too high on the left side. Because the rest of the table is flat before putting it on the far left of the left extension, Im thinking the problem is the extension itself.

Its within spec (barely) of what Ridgid supposedly uses. Im wondering if it can be ground down at least a little with a sharpening stone.

Since I cant return the saw (no other ones left locally thanks to the 399 price), Im going to have to live with it or try to get another extension from Ridgid.

Comment

I don't have a straight edge ruler so I used a carpenter square and did not check it. The problem was not the table top but the square. Accually the center part of the table seems to be pretty flat. With the extentions wings it's a bit different but I guess its just a matter of shimming in the right places. Actually the problem was not the saw but the guy in front of it. Thank you to all who have taken the trouble to answer my post and please accept my appologies.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
              Mine mesures similar. With a 4' straight edge, if I leave it on the table to the right of the left wings clamp openings, everything is perfectly flat. If I move the straight edge to cover the whole table, it seems to be .015 or so too high on the left side. Because the rest of the table is flat before putting it on the far left of the left extension, Im thinking the problem is the extension itself.

Its within spec (barely) of what Ridgid supposedly uses. Im wondering if it can be ground down at least a little with a sharpening stone.

Since I cant return the saw (no other ones left locally thanks to the 399 price), Im going to have to live with it or try to get another extension from Ridgid.
              0.015 at the very left edge only means .003 out at the very top of the blade (3" deep cut). This could be caused by a bit of grit on the mating surface of the extension to the table. If it bothers you (and realize that wood will flex that much in that distance) I would first remove the extension and ensure it is perfectly clean on the mating surface. Also remove any burrs with a mill file. A very slight adjustment on the wing when installing will take care of the problem.

I used to be a machinist, and worked to 0.0001" tolerances. It took me a bit of adjustment to realize that wood will change 1000 times that in a day if the humidity goes up or down. Table saws are not absolute precision machines, regardless of how much you pay for them. As long as the area around the blade is flat, and you apply positive downward pressure when making a cut, (with featherboard or push block) it will be accurate.

JMTCW

Go
              Last edited by Gofor; 02-13-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Actually reading my response it wasnt crystal clear.....the .015 out comes at the left edge *of the clamp openings* in the left extension, not at the far left edge.

Granted, its still probably not enough to complain about, but its closer to the blade than the far edge of the extension itself.

Just wanted to clarify

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                X