X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milwaukee 0234-1 older model

i just bought a mint version of this beauty on ebay.the serial number seems to put its date of manufacture in the mid 1980s.the 1/2 inch chuck has the milwaukee name stamped into it -did jacobs make this chuck and let milwaukee put their name there or is this just not a jacobs chuck?Also any info regarding significant upgrades or downgrades over the years on this model would be appreciated--i have a bad feeling i might start collecting them

Re: milwaukee 0234-1 older model

Can you post the first part of the serial number such as 532A or 532-xx____ ?

In my opinion the best of the model 0234 was the limited edition 0234-75 which was their 75th anniversary edition model which I think was 1999 if I remember correctly.

As for the check saying MILWAUKEE, a good many of their chucks say that and are made in Japan or China to Milwaukee specs. The ones made in Japan are pretty nice.

If you would like a parts list, this link should help you find the correct one for your drill.
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/p...tartKey=0234-1

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

hi thanks . the serial no. starts with 532140 - i looked at the parts diagrams from several eras- in other words ,drills starting with a certain set of numbers were manufactured in one time frame and as i said mine seems to come from the mid 80s but i looked at the chucks on almost every diagram and the part number is always the same-im not sure what to make of that - i feel kind of gypped cos i was hoping this being an older model it would have a jacobs chuck- is that anything worth caring about? thanks for indulging my neurosis

Comment

I wonder if the original chuck might not have failed and the previous owner replaced it. My 0234 dates back to the 70's and it has a Made in USA Jacobs chuck.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you have one of the chucks that says MILWAUKEE and on the mounting end (You need to remove the chuck to see it) it says in tiny letters JAPAN those are normally very good. A real USA made Jacobs chuck 33BA1/2 might be a little better but it only goes down to about 5/64" where normally the Japan chucks or a good German made ROHM can hold 1/16" easy. This doesn't make them superior in quality however. It could well be your chuck was replaced. As long as it is a good one I wouldn't worry about it. Normally a Jacobs K32 key should fit. Regarding Jacobs, you do not want the lower grade #26BA1/2 which is not a real industrial chuck even though it looks like one.

Dave, Does your 0234 have a 4.5 Amp motor and all nylon case? There was a time when they didn't use aluminum for the gear case. Milwaukee learned that was not a wise move and changed to aluminum gear cases and "diaphragms" (spacers) too. A bit later they upped the motors to 5.5 Amps.

If you look you'll see the latest is listed as 0234-6 and serial numbers start as 532D. The -6only means it comes with instructions for all of North America. English, French and Spanish
          Last edited by Woussko; 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

this chuck has 1/16-1/2 stamped into it also right below that 1.5 -13 mm. it is a 5.5 amp and on the plate which has the serial no. in the upper right corner are the letters CDJE thanks again for the information

Comment

Woussko, yeah, it's a 4.5amp model but the outer gear casing is alum. Do you know if they played around with the gearing on these drills over the years. I only wonder because at 4.5amps this drill has spun me around on more than one occasion and I can't imagine why they would need more oomph by upping the power.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,

I would have to check part numbers. I own a 0224-1 which is a 3/8" version rated at 0-1200 RPM and it has loads of torque. Currently my 0234-1 is not that old has a 5.5 Amp motor and is rated at 0-850 RPM. It can rip my hands off if I'm not careful. Today they have the 0229, 0300 and 0302 with 8.0 Amp motors and also the 0244 (limited production) which is a geared down 0234. They are outright dangerous tools.

I did buy one of the first of the 0234-1 back in the 70s, wore it out and later got a newer one. It was all nylon, had the 4.5 Amp motor and had more than enough umph to get any reasonable job done. For my big tuff work, I have BEAST spade handle drills (several) and I really need to respect what they can do to me.

If memory serves me right Milwaukee made up a 4.5 Amp Magnum series drill like the famous 0234 but in a high speed 1/4" chuck version. I need to contact Mr. Garb of tech support to see if he remembers it. I have heard of people changing gearing around, but can't recommend it. I'll try to check part numbers for the old version 0234 and the later ones. I think they have changed lots of the internal parts over time. My bet is mostly to lower production costs and help get rid of problems as they were discovered.

What really gets my *&^%$# is how TTI marched in, fired many fine people of MET and today is just milking profits off the name. I best cool off or this thread will become just my howling away ranting.
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-17-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Checking part numbers for gears, there have been part number changes several times over time. I suspect the older 4.5 Amp motor may have run at higher speed and was geared down a bit more. The spindle speed rating has been 0-850 for the 0234 all along as best as I can tell. The 0224 (3/8") version was 0-1200 RPM and the limited production 0244 is at 0-650 RPM. I do see and have used the high speed 3/8" version the 0233 and if the crappy keyless chuck is replaced with a quality keyed chuck it's a handy drill. Personally I like a similar Makita model better. It just feels nicer in hand. As for the geared down 0244 if I really needed more torque and power, I would get the 0300 which while made in China isn't too bad. They run nice after a simple breaking in and have loads of UMPH in a little package. Personally I like the 0234 best of all drills in it's class. My all time favorite is the 0234-75 which is more for show but is built to work and work hard too. I really like the totally cool steel case that comes with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X