X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill is sparking - Is this normal

I Just purchased the 18v Compact Lithium Ion drill. When it operates it sparks a bit. When you release the trigger the bit stops nearly immediately and then makes a somewhat significant spark that actually travels a short bit outside the drill. There is a slight electrical smell. Is this normal or is it just because it is new?

Re: Drill is sparking - Is this normal

Originally posted by AlexM31 View Post
    I Just purchased the 18v Compact Lithium Ion drill. When it operates it sparks a bit. When you release the trigger the bit stops nearly immediately and then makes a somewhat significant spark that actually travels a short bit outside the drill. There is a slight electrical smell. Is this normal or is it just because it is new?
    I don't think there should be a smell, or it should go outside the drill.

It is normal to see sparks through the vent holes on a drill when you release the trigger, because of the braking mechanism.

Comment

Please try this and report.

1. Set the drill to forward and run it about 1/2 speed and no load for about 5 minutes.

2. Slowly release the trigger and once stopped set it to reverse.

3. Run drill in reverse at about 1/2 speed for 5 minutes under no load.

4. Slowly release trigger and when stopped, repeat step 1.

Now you should have fully broken in (seated) the carbon motor brushes. It is normal for there to be sparks when you quickly release the trigger as that acts like an electric brake. Try to get into the habit of slowly releasing the trigger whenever possible.

Comment

I will give this a try and let you know how it works. Thanks!

Comment

OK -
          This seemed to make quite a difference. It has stopped sparking unless I quickly start it to full speed or go from low speed to full speed. I am not sure my old drill had a braking mechanism that would stop the drill this quickly. If I slow it down very carefully it will not spark. But releasing the trigger from even half speed still causes a spark although it is not as large as it was when I first used it this afternoon. I understand the concept of the brushes. Are the things I described above relatively normal? Since I just bought I wanted to make sure it was ok. At this point I think it is.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM31 View Post
            OK -
            This seemed to make quite a difference. It has stopped sparking unless I quickly start it to full speed or go from low speed to full speed. I am not sure my old drill had a braking mechanism that would stop the drill this quickly. If I slow it down very carefully it will not spark. But releasing the trigger from even half speed still causes a spark although it is not as large as it was when I first used it this afternoon. I understand the concept of the brushes. Are the things I described above relatively normal? Since I just bought I wanted to make sure it was ok. At this point I think it is.

Thanks

AlexM31,

What you are experiencing as far as sparks and smell are completely normal as the brushes in your drill settle in. It occurs regardless of whether your drill is in forward or reverse and is most noticeable at the higher RPM and abrupt trigger release. Enjoy your purchase.

Comment

Alex

It seems to be OK as you describe it now. I hope you get lots of good use from it.

Comment

Thanks again to all for help. I have had good experiences with my other rigid products and look forward to getting good use from this drill as well.

Alex

Comment

I almost positive that this is talked about in the manual and is explained that it is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                    AlexM31,

What you are experiencing as far as sparks and smell are completely normal as the brushes in your drill settle in. It occurs regardless of whether your drill is in forward or reverse and is most noticeable at the higher RPM and abrupt trigger release. Enjoy your purchase.
                    It's OK as Spinalzo and others have said. Just don't use it in an explosive atmosphere (that is not a joke).
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dockrey View Post
                      I almost positive that this is talked about in the manual and is explained that it is not an issue.
                      Yup. Says it right in the manual that comes with it, I saw it when i paged through mine.

Jeff

Comment

The sparking is caused by the electric brake. What that does is basically quickly fire the brushes in reverse when the trigger is let go to make it come to a quick stop. The faster the tool is running the bigger the spark because it needs to run the brake harder to make it stop. This will in no way damage the tool and is perfectly normal. Most tools now have electric brakes. Besides being a good safety device they enable you to transition quickly between work pieces without waiting for blades or bits to spin down. They also tend to improve precision since they give close control of when the tool stops.

Comment

Working...
                        X