Router table-how big?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router table-how big?

I am in the process of building my first router table. So far I have a Rockler fence, T tracks, miter gauge track, and a Rockler metal mounting plate. How big should the table be? Most of the commercially built tables are approx. 32"x24". Any particular reason? I would like to build mine slightly larger. Any input is appreciated!

Re: Router table-how big?

The only concern I would have would be the depth you choose from the front of the table to the router bit location. Based on your size, choose a dimension that is comfortable for you to use but not set back so far that you're having to reach and stretch.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      The only concern I would have would be the depth you choose from the front of the table to the router bit location. Based on your size, choose a dimension that is comfortable for you to use but not set back so far that you're having to reach and stretch.

Badger Dave,

I agree with you on the depth of the table (front to router bit). A shorter depth aids in keeping the hands at shoulder width and away from the turning blades. Whereas, a deeper depth pulls the hands together more and closer to the blade. Excellent response and advise - it made me think too. Good to have such good posters and responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Norsky View Post
        I am in the process of building my first router table. So far I have a Rockler fence, T tracks, miter gauge track, and a Rockler metal mounting plate. How big should the table be? Most of the commercially built tables are approx. 32"x24". Any particular reason? I would like to build mine slightly larger. Any input is appreciated!
        I finished mine not too long ago. The table is 46 1/2 X 26 1/2 because I needed the drawer space for "all things router". It is loosely based on Norm's Router Station plan:

Name:  c50b168dd393ff6711afef7db72e1b83.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  994f739389d32833e1bf818bad36a7c3.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  90801c66fc8b7cc9426e7e2046d3d454.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  03f5cca27756077d8ca29deecbf9d765.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

I also still have the original plan and DVD if you haven't gone too far and might be interested. I hope this helps...

Dan

Comment

danparkcityut, that's a beautiful table, nice job.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

That's quite a compliment Dave, especially considering the source... thank you.

All of the wood was someone else's scrap, but I did spurge on a lift and dedicated motor.

I think if I had it to do again, I'd use some pre-fab countertop material for the table surface and put the longer side of the table on the infeed side. Other than that, I've been very happy with this addition to my shop.

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X