X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inch sliding compound miter saw Laser

I just bought this saw and set up the Laser to land on my cut mark and when I drop the blade to make a cut the line moves approx an eighth of an inch as the saw gets closer to the wood I attempted to adjust the gibs on the slider but no change to the problem.Is this a common problem or should I return the saw for another

Re: 12 inch sliding compound miter saw Laser

oldhome,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

I don't have that particular model, but on my 10" CMS the laser is mounted on the saw arbor. From your description, it sounds similar. In any case, the laser is going to move right along with the blade/motor assembly.

On my saw, there is no adjustment; but I can't imagine how any laser in that position can be adjusted to hit the kerf exactly. Similarly, if you adjust the light to strike a 3/4 thick piece of wood, it will be off on a 2" piece. The laser positioned almost anywhere on the carriage, strikes the work piece at an angle from the travel of the blade's outer edge. It's focus will be totally dependant on the distance and as the carriage moves or the wood changes thickness. But of course, I'm not up to date as to where the laser is mounted, and my local HD still has the old model with it's non-adjustable, arbor mounted laser.

So, as you move the saw down toward the base, the laser line has to move. It's sort of like having one of the headlights on your car focused on a tree at the end of your driveway. You move the car forward or back and the light beam will move off the tree.

Bottom line is that it's a common complaint. Perhaps someone with the same, newer model can offer something more up-to-date, but from my experience "the laser" is only a close reference tool, and not something that provides dead-on accuracy. About the only way I can see a laser being absolutely accurate, would be to have it mounted in a fixed position, directly above the kerf, where it wouldn't be effected by the work piece or the movement of the blade travel.

CWS

Comment

oldhome
      I have the Ridgid sliding saw and I love it. But when I put the laser on and tried to tune it I just couldn't get on mark to were I trusted it. Never could get used to them anyway, the saw works fine for me with out it.
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Thankyou for the info.I rethought the process I was using to set the laser and then readjusted it on a scrap piece of wood.I made a cut then lifted the saw Readjusted to that line then recut setting the laser on a new spot and it was dead on. The laser still moves to the left approx an 1/8 of an inch as the saw is dropped on to the wood but it cuts on the spot marked.I wanted to be able to position the wood and possibly clamp it prior to moving the saw. this now works OK.I like the saw and find it has lots of power and cuts square and true .

Comment

Great! Your adjustment and expectations sound reasonable and you should now be happy with the laser application. I think some owners expect to see the laser's beam to maintain it's position on the kerf for the full extent of travel.

I looked at the latest HD setup of the Ridgid SCMS this afternoon and it appears that your approach is the most practical one, IMO.

Thanks for explaining your final adjustment and results,

CWS

Comment

I also have the 12" SCMS. I bought mine a little over 2 years ago but aside from a large flooring project when I first bought it I only use it occasionally. I was using it last weekend and noticed that the arbor mounted laser doesn't work anymore. I'm really not sure when it stopped working, it may have been a while ago and I just did not notice until now. My question is this, how long do the batteries in it usually last, I'm assuming it uses some sort of replacable watch cell bettery.

Comment

Working...
            X