Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milwaukee vs Makita 1/2" compact 18v L-I cordless drill-??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milwaukee vs Makita 1/2" compact 18v L-I cordless drill-??

I grew up on cordless power tools and have worked with all the major brands . The one I have always stuck with has been Makita , I work them hard and they got to be tough . I use Makita Drills/Impact drivers & Reciprocating saws everyday , Its my personal work tools and it is surley My recommendation to anyone considering getting an cordless arsenal .I think you would be hard pressed going wrong with Makita. You can get free shipping on all your Makita tools

CORDLESS DRILL MAKITA

Comment

I have always had good luck with the Milwalkee cordless tools and use them everyday installing boilers. Dewalt will usually work ok for about 6 months and break. Dont like Makita much either. Never tried Rigid cordless but I have a truck full of rigid pipe wrenches and a 700 threader.

Comment

Over the years we have purchased and worked very hard most of the major brands of power tools, both corded and cordless including Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Bosch, Ridgid, et all. Cordless tools have been mostly Makita, Dewalt, and most recently Ridgid. For the most part they have all performed well in the very demanding environment we work and abuse them in every day. Occasionally they don't perform as well as we would have hoped or break and must be repaired, however I can't point to any one brand out of those mentioned that I thought exhibited excessive problems. When they do break we of course want to receive fast service and parts at a reasonable cost. Again I don't remember any product where we experienced any problems in that area.
        Two years ago we decided to focus on purchasing Ridgid power tools due to the perceived benefits of the 90 day "no hassle return policy" and the "Lifetime service agreement". To date we have purchased around Ridgid 80 power tools and have been very satisfied with the performance. Are they all perfect or the best performers in each catagory? Of course not, just as all the other brands we have used over the years were not always the best. Again for the most part they do the job that our professionals expect every day. I can tell you honestly that if they were not OK our guys would be bitching to me and telling me to replace them. The biggest complaint has been with the MaxSelect impacts. With 18 volt batteries they are worthless and with the 24 volt batteries they are excessively heavy. To date we have had no failures so I can't comment on the whole "Ridgid service center" thing. I will have something on that shortly as I have started collecting some batteries that have stopped performing adaquately.
        Anyway, to go back to Tater's original question regarding cordless 18 volt drills, I believe any of the original mfgrs he listed , namely Milwaukee or Makita would do a very good job for him as would Makita, Ridgid, Bosch or several other of the recognized professional brands of tools.
        We tried a Ryobi 18 volt tool set a few years ago and were very dissatisfied with them. I used the drill personaly on a deck job and found that the batteries quickly overheated as well as the drill. The trigger control was non existent which made it very difficult to control depth driving on the screws. I remember it as being very hot at around 100 degrees during this job, however we were also using a Dewalt 14.4 volt drill on the same job and did not experience any problems with it. Now to be fair, this was several years ago and I have no experience with the newer Ryobi tools.
        Good luck with your choice......Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 11-25-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I have the 2 pc Makita compact set and love it. I travel alot for my job and everywhere I go, I have hard time getting to use my own drill because the locals grab it to use. Some have even gone out and bought their own. I have the 1.5 mah batteries and am ok with them. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
            I have done my own tests with a multitude of compact 18v tools. The Milwaukee 2601-22 is probably the worst of the bunch. It is very under powered, won't drive a 1" spade bit in second gear. If you don't plan on doing anything large with it, then it's a decent drill. Lightweight, good grip and very compact. Last I checked the 2601-22 came with two batteries?.

Since you didn't ask for opinions on other drills, I won't offer one.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the makita. They also have a two piece set for $80 more that comes with an impact. Or you can upgrade and get the LXT218 two piece set for $100 more, and that includes the 3.0Ah batteies, rather than the 1.5Ah. Overall a much better value.

Here is one review done by Popular Mechanics.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...57.html?page=2
            Kudos. There's not a lot on this forum that would say that often (myself included, sadly ), but kudos for you on this.

Comment

I purchased the Makita LXT combo pack last year (Black Friday) and I LOVE it!

Batteries and tools perform well and are very comfortable.

Comment

Working...
              X