Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee vs Makita 1/2" compact 18v L-I cordless drill-??

I went to HD looking for a good quality L-I 18v compact cordless drill and came across 2 that seemed to my liking, one was a
    Mikwaukee Mod# 2601-22, and the other was a Makita Mod# BDF 452 HW with 2 batteries...
    Both drills were the same price, $199 ea and I kinda liked the Milwaukee the best till I saw that the Makita came with 2 batteries......
    Anyone have any input on these drills, good, bad or ugly, which would you go for if either...???
    Thanks and have a good one...Tater...

Re: Milwaukee vs Makita 1/2" compact 18v L-I cordless drill-??

I have done my own tests with a multitude of compact 18v tools. The Milwaukee 2601-22 is probably the worst of the bunch. It is very under powered, won't drive a 1" spade bit in second gear. If you don't plan on doing anything large with it, then it's a decent drill. Lightweight, good grip and very compact. Last I checked the 2601-22 came with two batteries?.

Since you didn't ask for opinions on other drills, I won't offer one.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the makita. They also have a two piece set for $80 more that comes with an impact. Or you can upgrade and get the LXT218 two piece set for $100 more, and that includes the 3.0Ah batteies, rather than the 1.5Ah. Overall a much better value.

Here is one review done by Popular Mechanics.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...57.html?page=2

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
      I have done my own tests with a multitude of compact 18v tools. The Milwaukee 2601-22 is probably the worst of the bunch. It is very under powered, won't drive a 1" spade bit in second gear.

Wow, thats pretty terrible. Seems it didn't do well in the popular mechanics test either. I've had the compact Makita for about two years and it's a truly capable drill for such a small size. It can even come close to keeping up with its big brother in lighter duty work.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        Wow, thats pretty terrible. Seems it didn't do well in the popular mechanics test either. I've had the compact Makita for about two years and it's a truly capable drill for such a small size. It can even come close to keeping up with its big brother in lighter duty work.
        Yeah, I agree seems like the Milwaukee comes out about on the bottom, I did find out that it also had 2 batteries as Kanxrus said and also Kanxrus I did want yours others opinions on the compact drills or even advice to stay away from the compacts if you think I should, kinda thought the part where I said "which would you go for if either...???" might have brought that out...lol... Yes I do need advise... PS-Are they all made in China, all I saw was...???
        Last edited by Tater; 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Went back by H-D and looked for the above mentioned Ryobi P203 but found only P813 P814, they looked about the same as the P203 pictures but I don't know if they are anyway the same......
          What would you go with...???

Comment

I bought the Makita back in December and have been real happy with it. They also have a 2 pack of 3ah batteries for $99. I don't ever run out of power. LOL
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
              Went back by H-D and looked for the above mentioned Ryobi P203 but found only P813 P814, they looked about the same as the P203 pictures but I don't know if they are anyway the same......
              What would you go with...???
              FYI: since you looked at the P813 did you check out the price? It was marked $199>$99 for drill+light+charger+2x2.4Ah Li batteries. It may not be the powerhouse like DW/Milw/Mak but it is the best value for the $$ plus it performed well in the PM test.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                Both drills were the same price, $199 ea and I kinda liked the Milwaukee the best till I saw that the Makita came with 2 batteries......Anyone have any input on these drills, good, bad or ugly, which would you go for if either...???
                I got the Makita BHP452 hammerdrill+BTD140 impact driver. Both are ergonomic, powerful, light-weight power tools. Got a 2-pk 1.5 Ah Li batteries@$39 last month to make these light-weight power tools even lighter.
                Last edited by reConx; 02-18-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                  FYI: since you looked at the P813 did you check out the price? It was marked $199>$99 for drill+light+charger+2x2.4Ah Li batteries. It may not be the powerhouse like DW/Milw/Mak but it is the best value for the $$ plus it performed well in the PM test.....
                  I believe the price was $159 for just the drill & 2 batteries, I will double check, I could be wet, I do have CRS...lol...
                  My son came by yesterday, had his volt meter with him and checked my 18v B&D battery & charger, seems it is the charger and not the battery as I had thought... I may see what I can pick one up for if I can find one, the battery at H-D was $30... I still would like to get into the Lith-Ion batteries as I have some experience with other products with Lith-Ion and they really seem to be much better batteries...
                  If things don't work out with the batteries and charger I will probably go with the Ryobi drill + 2 batteries @ &159...???

Comment

The P813 kits have been clearanced, looks like Ryobi are promoting the Autoshift drill in it's place (P814). Very hard to find the P813 now. As noted above, they were being sold off for $99. I bought one just for the batteries and charger. If you find one of the P813 kits, take it to the register and ask for a price check. You might be lucky and find they have lowered the price further.

I believe the drill in the P813 kit is the P204 shown in the Popular Mechanics test.

Comment

Have you guys seen or looked at the RIDGID R86007? Our latest version of the compact 18V. I used it a few nights ago with one of the woodboring bits. Loved it as I could drill 3/4" holes at a 90' angle because it could fit comfortably between the studs. I was using the 1.5ah battery and probably did 50 holes before changing out. Anyway, add it to your comparison list if still in the market. Be curious to see what you end up with and how you like it.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86007-Drill/

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                        Have you guys seen or looked at the RIDGID R86007
                        I like the R86007 enough to recommend it to my friends. Great power, lightweight (bc of Li) and similar in size to my old R84001 which has been ultra reliable. The R84001 was my first Ridgid and the LSA might prevent me from ever truly replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                          Have you guys seen or looked at the RIDGID R86007?
                          Was going to suggest the R86007, but I didn't have any experience with it other than admiring it at HDs' tool section. Tempting me, but I have the R86006 compact already and love it. The R86006 was a good performer in the PM test, and was tested with the 1.5 ah lithium battery as that is what comes with the drill kit - only fair to test with what you actually get in the kit. Of course, the numbers would have been better with the larger battery, but the same could probably be said of any of the drills. I also have the Ryobi P204 that I purchased for the batteries to power my older Ryobi stuff. It is similar to the R86006, but different in some subtle and not so subtle ways that makes the R86006 really stand out.

Comment

[quote=ProBrand;210259]Have you guys seen or looked at the RIDGID R86007? Our latest version of the compact 18V. I used it a few nights ago with one of the woodboring bits. Loved it as I could drill 3/4" holes at a 90' angle because it could fit comfortably between the studs. I was using the 1.5ah battery and probably did 50 holes before changing out. Anyway, add it to your comparison list if still in the market. Be curious to see what you end up with and how you like it.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86007-Drill/[/quote]

Is there any plans to switch to Sony cells or a variant of LifePO4 for batteries in the future?

Comment

Well I went by H-D again this morning with thoughts of getting the Ryobi w/2 battries (P813 or P814) but it was neither, it was P815 w/2 compact batteries for $159... I told y'all I had CRS...lol...
                              Anyway since my charger seemed to be what was bad, I had seen a compact B&D drill w/2 18v batts. (Ni-Cad) and charger for about what I could buy 1 batt. & charger for, well that is what I bought for $69, I'll probably regret it, but whats done is done...
                              Thanks folks and have a good one...Tater...

Comment

Working...
                              X