Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can i find johnson paste wax for TS3660

I bought a TS3660

where can i find Johnson paste wax?

i bought turte paste wax, but not sure if that is as good.

I have looked at Walmart in automotive and cleaning areas; and have also looked at my grocery store.

any ideas where to find or is turtle wax okay

Re: where can i find johnson paste wax for TS3660

Definitely do not use the Turtle Wax. I found Johnson's at my local grocery store in the aisle were they have the floor wax. I've seen where some people say they have gotten it at Lowes. Home Depot carries MinWax Furniture Wax or Paste or something like that which is just as good as the Johnson's.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought my Johnsons paste wax at Home Depot at the same time I bought my 3650 there. About this time last year, maybe Home Depot stopped carrying it?

Jeff

Comment

My HD didn't have Johnson's, but it does have Minwax. As long as it is not auto (silicon wax); but furniture wax, he should be OK.

Comment

Be sure to use a rust protector like boeshield before waxing the top.

Comment

All the Home Depots around me have it in the cleaning supply aisle. Look for the yellow can with red writing on it.

Cheap and works great!

Comment

i have two coats of that turtle wax on it already.

I will look at home depot for the johnson or minwax.

should i go over the turtle wax with the new correct wax?
              or should i remove the turtle wax? if so how do i do that?

where do i find that rust stuff, previously recommended?

thanks

Comment

is this the right wax
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes, you should remove the turtle wax; it will wreak havoc on your finishing process. I don't know how, maybe just a lot of elbow grease and scotch brite.

Comment

derek that's the Johnsons I use. Got it at HD. you can find boeshield at woodcraft, amazon and a few other websites. I would use wd40 and a scrub pad to remove the auto wax boeshield also has a cleaner but its pretty bad smelling you got to have a very well ventilated area. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by derekparker View Post
                      i....
                      or should i remove the turtle wax? if so how do i do that?.

thanks
                      Naptha (i.e charcoal lighter, coleman lantern fuel, etc) will remove it. Wipe on wet with one rag and dry it off with a clean one, flipping it over to clean side with each wipe. Lacquer thinner will also work, and mineral spirits will probably, also. You want something that stays wet long enough to dissolve the turtle wax and give you a chance to wipe it up before it dries again. Fast drying solvents like MEK or Acetone won't work because they dry too fast. Make sure you have good ventilation and no spark source when using it, because all are flammable.

There may be a citrus cleaner that will work, but I have not tried one. If you need something non-flammable, oven cleaner or Greased Lightning will work. Make sure you have eye-protection and rubber gloves, and you may experience flash rust when you rinse off with a wet rag. The flash rust can be removed with steel wool and WD-40.

If you want to use automotive wax, Mother's brand makes one that has no silicone in it. Check the label.

Silicone will transfer to the wood when running it across the saw, and is almost impossible to get out of the wood fibers. When you go to coat it, the finish will draw back from the silicone, giving you "fisheyes" in the coating. If the wood is not to be coated, like construction framing, then it doesn't hurt anything.

Hope this helps

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Yes the boeshield rust remover is seriously foul smelling. Only use with good ventilation. You should only need this to remove heavy rust though. For protection you should only use the T-9. Light surface rust is better removed with WD-40 anyway.

Comment

Having read so much about the Boeshield product on various threads, I finally went to their web site; http://www.boeshield.com

A product developed by Boeing Aircraft, their products have developed a place in the aircraft, marine, bicycle, gun and tool markets. Click on their Tools tab and they give a number of places that their product can be found ... including Sears!

Comment

Originally posted by MGedge View Post
                            Having read so much about the Boeshield product on various threads, I finally went to their web site; http://www.boeshield.com

A product developed by Boeing Aircraft, their products have developed a place in the aircraft, marine, bicycle, gun and tool markets. Click on their Tools tab and they give a number of places that their product can be found ... including Sears!
                            Yeah I picked mine up from Sears....couldnt believe they actually had it!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                              Yes the boeshield rust remover is seriously foul smelling. Only use with good ventilation. You should only need this to remove heavy rust though. For protection you should only use the T-9. Light surface rust is better removed with WD-40 anyway.

MSDS for WD-40

Wikipedia page about WD-40 (who wudda thought they'd even have one)

US Army paper on WDCs (Water Displacement Compounds)

And last but not least...this
                              Wacky Uses for WD-40
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X