Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i remove turtle wax from ts3660 to put on correct wax

Okay, i learned i put the wrong wa on my 2 week old TS3660

i have two coats of that turtle wax on it already.

I will look at home depot for the johnson or minwax.

should i go over the turtle wax with the new correct wax?
    or should i remove the turtle wax? if so how do i do that?

also where do i find that t-9 or ssomething similar rust preventive?

do i really need to put that on before i wax it? i have no rust on it

also is this the johnson paste wax i should get:
    Attached Files

Re: how do i remove turtle wax from ts3660 to put on correct wax

I'm actually not sure what would be the best way to remove the turtle wax but you really should remove it. I understand most car waxes have silicone which will rub off on the wood and ruin/stain the finish.

You should definately use a rust preventer before the wax though. Wax alone will slow the rust but not nearly as effectively. Boeshield and similar products will protect it weeks or months longer. Depends on the enviroment and use.

Usually the idea is to scrub the top clean with WD40 and steel wool to remove every trace of contaminants. Allow the WD40 to evaporate completely until the top is perfectly dry. Apply boeshield and wipe off excess. It penetrates into the metal so even if the top looks completely dry its still protected. Then wax the table to make it slide smooth. I get it at Sears. It's like $25 for a can of t-9 + rust remover but the stuff lasts a long time.

Comment

I replied to the removal question in your thread about where to find the Johnson's paste wax.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I'd try mineral spirits to remove the auto wax. I would think that should do the job just fine. Basically the mineral spirits should thin out the wax and in doing so, some will undoubtedly get spread around by your cleaning rag. So, I'd go through the process two or three times and make sure I get into the miter slot and over the table edges too to ensure I get any residue from the first and subsequent passes. Basically, you need to remove it from the surfaces that will be in contact with the project wood.

CWS

Comment

Nobody else mentioned it so I will, yes, that is the Johnson's Paste Wax you should buy.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
          X