X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery replacement?

I bought an 18V Lion drill a year ago... registered online for the lifetime.

Went no there yesterday to find out how I get teh batteries replaced (neither hold a charge anymore) and see that the warranty period says 3 years not lifetime and was told that I need to go to a local service center... which is 1.5 hours away.

I find it hard to believe there is no 800 # to call to get these batts replaced... and how can I get my warranty to reflect the lifetime as it should?

Re: Battery replacement?

When you registered your tools, did you send in the upc and a copy of the receipt? Even though you can fill out the form online, they still require you to send in these items. And even when done correctly, they do take along time. You might want to call their customer service and ask about it.

As far as battery replacement, you do have to take them to a service center. They usually want you to bring in the whole kit so that they can make sure it's the batteries and not the charger or something else.

Comment

Also, call ahead and see if they have the batteries on hand so that you can swap while you're there. If there is more than one service center in your area, that might just help you to choose between them as it'll cut down on wait times. I had choices between service centers as they were about equidistant from my home and the phone call made all the difference in getting things done.

Comment

Last edited by Mark0815; 02-22-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Another satisified ridgid user

Dude, buy makita, bosch or dewalt from a local supplier and if it breaks just bring it to them and they will run it over to the service center and call you when it's fixed.

Comment

Mark,

You sound a bit "unhappy". I bet you also found problems with Home Depot's parking lot.

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be sarcastic as you're obviously really upset. But, you still have a 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee and a 3-year warranty, which is still a lot better than most of the competition.

The terms of the LLSA are widely known and even if you didn't know, don't you think that you, as a consumer, have a certain level of responsibility to yourself to look into such details, before you throw away everything?

As far as your comparison to automobile dealorships, well let's just say that your Ridgid tool costs tremendously less and I don't think you'll find a single retailer who will provide service for any kind of "tool", unless of course you bought their store warranty. Home Depot does provide a 90-day window for returns, but even then, you have to have the original boxes and packing materials for the "return" to be accepted.

Now, let me see if I can help you out a bit. Once you calm down, put on your "happy customer" personality and call Ridgid support and see if you can go through the registration process without the UPC. On occasion, that has been known to happen. But I can almost guarantee, that if you call them and give them a rant, you'll probably not find a sympathetic ear. No guarantees either way of course, but a friendly call about your dog eating your homework... uh, I mean your boxes, and you may be successful. Hopefully, these purchases were fairly recent and you haven't thrown your receipt away too.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
              Another satisified ridgid user

Dude, buy makita, bosch or dewalt from a local supplier and if it breaks just bring it to them and they will run it over to the service center and call you when it's fixed.
              Ive met and known alot of canadian people, you are by far the nastiest, know it all, antagonist canadian i have ever witnessed.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                Ive met and known alot of canadian people, you are by far the nastiest, know it all, antagonist canadian i have ever witnessed.
                Warty wasn't born here.

He's an imported nut, like a macadamia.
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by jscozz View Post
                  I find it hard to believe there is no 800 # to call to get these batts replaced...
                  Think about it. If all you had to do was call an 800 number to get batteries swapped out, every shady character on the planet would find a way to get ahold of old/damaged/defective batteries and pull scams for new batteries. There HAS to be some sort of personal interaction (aka you have to go to a service center, no matter how much you don't like it) for a system like this to be feasible and sustainable.

I'm assuming you went back to the Home Depot store you bought the drill at and asked about getting new batteries and were told no (you didn't specify)? I would go back and ask for THE Store Manager, not one of his/her ASM's, not a Department Head acting as the MOD. I would politely explain your situation, and politely ask if there is anything he/she can do. If he/she says "no", then you could either ask for his/her District Manager's name and phone number, or you could go to the Special Services desk and ask for the Customer Care phone number. Unless the Store Manager is absolutely hard core, I bet you walk out with replacement batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                    Warty wasn't born here.

What's the matter Tinny? You won't claim ownership to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Tools 4 Everyone View Post
                      If he/she says "no", then you could either ask for his/her District Manager's name and phone number, or you could go to the Special Services desk and ask for the Customer Care phone number. Unless the Store Manager is absolutely hard core, I bet you walk out with replacement batteries.
                      Not a good idea in my eye. In these touchy times where everyone is watching expenses and bottom lines, it wouldn't be fair to arm twist the manager into breaking the battery exchange policy of one of his vendors. Remember, Home Depot is only the seller of this tool and the tool manufacturer sets the service/return policy for their company. I know that we feel that there is a relationship between the two entities, but why should that be any different than if you had purchased Dewalt or Makita? You know the policy on how to get a replacement, but it costs you some time and maybe some money. The alternative is to press the Home Depot employees to break the manufacturer's policy under threat of reprisals from their higher-ups for having a customer controversy or, for having a dollar loss on the battery against there bottom line. It's a no win situation in these leaner times for the vendor. You may not think so, but it's what you agreed to when you bought the tool.

I add PlumbersCrack's by line that speaks for itself: Life is not always as convenient as we would like, but it's much better to work on a solution, than to dwell on the problem that won't fix itself
                      Last edited by Spinalzo; 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM. Reason: Adding Additional Information

Comment

You are correct Cracky.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                          Warty wasn't born here.

Cool, my faith is restored in Canadians! Love Canada, I am from Buffalo, spent half my life in Niagra Falls. Labatt Blue rules!

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                            Cool, my faith is restored in Canadians! Love Canada, I am from Buffalo, spent half my life in Niagra Falls. Labatt Blue rules!
                            Glad to set your mind at ease.

On the beer front, Labatt Blue is darn tasty, and there's some nice microbrews in the Ontario area. One of my faves from that area is Steamwhistle. Sleemans makes a new white ale which is mighty tasty as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback...

When I said there should be an 800# for replacement I did not mean site unseen... if my APC UPS battery dies I call an 800#, they send me a new one I ship the old one back... done. I would not mind paying shipping to get the batteries to Ridgid... as long as the new ones were shipped to me free of charge as per the warranty. My only problem is with having to drive 1-1/2 hours each way to my nearest service center... add in some time there and that is half a day of my time... which is valuable to me. So, it will cost me more in my time to get two batteries replaced under warranty than it would to go buy two new ones... that is my only complaint.

Like I said, I would gladly pay the shipping to get the bats to Ridgid... saving me a trip... and allowing me to have my warranty honored. Is there any Ridgid service center that allows this?

Comment

Working...
                              X