X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 volt cordless drill chuck

Is it just me or is antone else having a problem with the chucks on the cordless drills?
    Evertime I use it when screwing or unscrewing something...the chuck always loosens up and the bit comes out!!! It never fails!!
    I've had the chuck replaced and then they gave me a new drill...but...it still keeps happening!
    Anyone know of a good chuck thet will replace the rigid one that is better and doesnt loosen! I bought rigid for the warranty thats it. When I had my milwalki drill it was great until you had to buy batts! Hence buying rigid...the free batt replacement. Its annoying delaling with the chuck issue!!

Re: 18 volt cordless drill chuck

Try a Jacobs brand chucks available from HD and Lowes. I've had good luck with them.
    Ern

Comment

If I remember correctly, my Ridgid drills came with Jacob chucks. The 24v drill chuck has a Jacob 700 on it, and the 18v compact has a 500 series. I'll double check that later.

Comment

Originally posted by mbord View Post
        Is it just me or is antone else having a problem with the chucks on the cordless drills?
        Evertime I use it when screwing or unscrewing something...the chuck always loosens up and the bit comes out!!! It never fails!!
        I've had the chuck replaced and then they gave me a new drill...but...it still keeps happening!
        Anyone know of a good chuck thet will replace the rigid one that is better and doesnt loosen! I bought rigid for the warranty thats it. When I had my milwalki drill it was great until you had to buy batts! Hence buying rigid...the free batt replacement. Its annoying delaling with the chuck issue!!
        As Hottrod noted most of the Ridgid drills use Jacobs chucks which are used by many of the quality tool mfgrs. Our DeWalt drills use the same Jacob chucks as our Ridgid drills and we have only had one problem with them which leads to a cautionary note. For years we had placed the drill bit in the chuck and while holding the chuck firmly pressed the trigger and powered the chuck tight with the drill motor. When we purchased our first DeWalt drill with the new style ratcheting chuck we (against the instructions in the user manual ) continued to power the chuck tight with the motor. This lead to the only failure we have experianced with the ratcheting chucks. Our experiance with these chucks has been that they hold drill bits much more securely than the old style. It is necessary to "crank" them down tight by hand though.
        good luck.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by mbord View Post
          The best Jacobs chuck you can buy (900 series) is a toy compared to Rohm all-metal self-tightening chucks. Find a local Dewalt service centre and get a chuck for DC925 or DC927 drill. If the drillbit gets stuck and tries to spin in the chuck, Rohm will grab it so hard that jaws will cut grooves on the drill bit shank. You don't need to crank it like Jacobs chucks, just twist it until you hear 3-4 clicks.

Have Ridgid service center put it on for you with red threadlock.

This is a very good thread with pictures:
          http://forums.ereplacementparts.com/...925-chuck.html

PS: Prepare to shell out $65-$80 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
            The best Jacobs chuck you can buy (900 series) is a toy compared to Rohm all-metal self-tightening chucks. Find a local Dewalt service centre and get a chuck for DC925 or DC927 drill. If the drillbit gets stuck and tries to spin in the chuck, Rohm will grab it so hard that jaws will cut grooves on the drill bit shank. You don't need to crank it like Jacobs chucks, just twist it until you hear 3-4 clicks.

Have Ridgid service center put it on for you with red threadlock.

This is a very good thread with pictures:
            http://forums.ereplacementparts.com/...925-chuck.html

PS: Prepare to shell out $65-$80 for it.
            Putting thread lock on it isn't going to help. The chuck is loosening up its grip on the bit. It is not loosening up on the drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dockrey View Post
              Putting thread lock on it isn't going to help. The chuck is loosening up its grip on the bit. It is not loosening up on the drill.
              I just love when people comment on things they don't know about. Did you actually read my post?

The Rohm chuck from DC925 doesn't have a center screw and might come off the ridgid spindle if the Ridgid service centre doesn't have a special rig to put them on. Also, despite same size, the spindle thread might have different tolerances between the brands. That's why I recommended to put threadlock on it. Rohm chucks never slip becase of their design. If your bit gets stuck and you have very high torque drill, Rohm chuck jaws will cut into the drillbit shank and prevent it from slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                I just love when people comment on things they don't know about. Did you actually read my post?

The Rohm chuck from DC925 doesn't have a center screw and might come off the ridgid spindle if the Ridgid service centre doesn't have a special rig to put them on. Also, despite same size, the spindle thread might have different tolerances between the brands. That's why I recommended to put threadlock on it. Rohm chucks never slip becase of their design. If your bit gets stuck and you have very high torque drill, Rohm chuck jaws will cut into the drillbit shank and prevent it from slipping.
                Yes, I read your post. I even followed your link. If you re-read your post you will see that it is very confusing. Plus, you explained it better when you decided to post to what I said. On top of that, if you buy the chuck from a DeWalt service center wouldn't they put the chuck on for you for a fee? And lastly, what does what I posted have anything to do with you accusing me of not knowing what I am talking about. Now I remember why I quit posting here.

Comment

Both Jacobs and Rohm make different grades of drill chucks in both keyed and keyless. I personally would go for a good industrial grade keyed chuck. As to the retaining screw, be sure the replacement chuck is drilled and countersunk so you can use the retaining screw that came with your drill. As for buying such a chuck you'll do best at a good industrial supply house. Online places like McMaster Carr, Travers Tool, MSC Industrial Supply, WW Grainger and Enco. I find in many cases that Enco prices are lower than the others.

www.use-enco.com

Jacobs and I would go with the middle or top one, not the economy chuck.
                  http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2

Rohm - http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMPXNO=5802614
                  For the money I would recommend the Rohm. This chuck has served me very well many times on several drills
                  that needed the chuck upgraded.

I am assuming a 1/2" capacity drill and chuck with 1/2-20 spindle threads.

I recommend a little Locktite on the retaining screw threads but not on the spindle threads.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem and I dont think its a defect, I think that the electric brake stops so quick that the chuck loosens. I ease out of the trigger when drilling and it stays tight the whole time.

Comment

It isn't the chuck, it is the brake on the motor. It stops the motor with such force the momentum built up on the chuck causes it to loosen and your bit falls out. Terrible design, probably never even tried it before they built it. Glad I only bought it to back up my Makita.

Comment

Working...
                      X