X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts3650 tablesaw cast extensions problems

Does anyone have an issue with the Cast iron extension wings? I have assembled my saw and have come to the conclusion the cast wings are really out of whack- up to 4mm in some areas. I had to clamp the wings while installing them to flush them up with the table (warped), when the operation was done I used a straight edge to confirm my suspicions, and voila, bad news, they were really out. I also noticed the wings were longer than the table by about 1-2mm. I spoke to the service rep from Rigid and he was not y forthcoming with a solution ( ok sir we'll send you some new ones.) This saw has the potential to be a "excellent" saw rather than an "OK" one, it would only take a few "tweaks" at the factory level to ensure a truly "quality saw".

The big orange box store is starting to hum and haw about replacing the saw, and from what I understand it it might take 3 or more months to have the warranty carried out.

Does anyone have any advise, I am thinking I might have the surface machined? but the cost I would think would not make it worth it.

Thanks, Shaun

Re: ts3650 tablesaw cast extensions problems

4 mm = <.016" or about 1/64th of an inch. If the table is flat, especially around the blade, and you have positive downward pressure on the work in the blade area (which you should have for an accurate cut), you will not see enough variation to be measurable in the wood, which will expand and contract with humidity changes, and is flexible, also. If the variation is not constant, it will pose no problem, just as a gouge in the top doesn't affect the cut. If the drop is all at the outside edge, shim the bottom under bolt. If it is high, shim over the bolt.

As for the wings being .008" longer, that does not affect the use of the saw.

Realize that this amount at the extension edge will result in only a .003" deviation at the top of a 3" thick cut (and less than .001" for a 3/4" thick board). That is less than the allowable run-out on many saw blades.

IMHO, it will not affect the work and it is within the tolerance of any like-priced saw.

If it is beyond what you can accept, than return the saw and wait for the granite topped and hope for the best.

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 02-23-2009, 11:59 PM.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

4 millimeters = 0.157480315 inches, which is closer to 5/32.

Comment

You are correct - My bad and my apologies. I misread the decimal point.

Time to return the saw.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Well had round 2 with the Home-D people,it has now been passed on to the section bosses "boss", boy this could go on for ever. I sent a e-mail to Rigid and was told to use the local warranty outfit. The Home-D tool guy said it could be as little as three months for the work to be done, (oh boy). So with a new plan in hand I set off for home. To make a long story short, I ended up draw filing the extension wings (with a Home-D "Flat Bastard") and table ends for four hours, and after several mountings and re-mountings after filing I get close to the desired level of flatness across the table. Now comes step two, I loosely mount the extension wings, and insert four layers of tinfoil folded over each other and rest the long shim on top of the wing bolts. The rest is straight forward, tighten the bolts and clamp and re-tighten them until done, oh, and clean up the tinfoil with a razor blade.

The extension wings are still out a little, about the thickness of a sheet of paper, I think I can live with that for a while, or at least until the memory of the whole ordeal fades a little.

Shaun.......

PS.

Many thanks to all the folks who post their tips and tricks on the different forums, I sure hope the "Rigid" and other tool people read each others forums and take these problems and complaints to heart. If they do, everybody wins in the end.
          Last edited by Shaun; 02-28-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Sheet of paper? Thats pretty thin (i.e. not very far off!!!)

I think there is a spot on mine thats just as the max spec Ridgid allows. It seems to be the left wing, and to the left of the clamping holes. Its not a lot of the wing that is off, Ive thought about filing/honing it down, but determined its probably not worth teh effort.

Comment

The majority of my aggravation was with the left wing. I personally would spend the time on it, it really doesn't take that much effort. The worst part of the whole deal is wrangling those wings on and off many times, it gets kind of tedious-but it's worth it.

Cheers, Shaun...
              Last edited by Shaun; 02-28-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X