Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Ridgid tools at HD

There are a lot of good discussions on this thread. Some random comments:

Woussko, we had add-on tools for a few years (MaxSelect) which we thought would accomplish what you talk about and, truthfully, they didn't move as quickly as we expected. What could we have done differently?

Frankiarmz, good to hear from you. Nobody has hit me up for the cordless 1/2" impact for months. At least I know you saw the survey so you can't say we are completely ignoring the idea ;-)

Ru, you've sniffed out our sinister plan. Force three compact drills upon every toolbox. Hope the baby (bet that term is about done) is doing well.

Doughboy, To be honest, I thought the flashlight was a gimmick in a combo kit for the longest time. Now I find myself using it almost as much as the drill. Though addicted is a strong word, maybe I should set up a hotline...

Makita...OK, I'm not typing the rest of the user name ;-)...I like the benchtop table saw, but wouldn't put it on the same applications as the 2410 (which I really like.) While it has good power, I think that one in particular is an awesome fit for installing hardwood floors

Lastly, the issue of announcing early. I really don't know what early is. A week? A month? I've been burned by two things in announcing early. One, if an improvement on an existing product, sales on the current model stop as people wait for the new one. That can delay the launch because there is too much inventory to get through. Two, given enough time/notice, competition can do a ridiculous promotion on their similar product and really hurt a launch. It is easier to give hints and notice on "new to the market" items where inventory and competition are not an issue. I could have done something with the fiber cement saw...coolest thing in the category. I am also trying to give more hints on Twitter if anyone is following me there.

OK, a bit long winded I know. Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for all the posts.

Comment

Well a wink's as good as a nod, so I guess I'll keep quiet and see if I get surprised .

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
        Lastly, the issue of announcing early. I really don't know what early is. A week? A month? I've been burned by two things in announcing early. One, if an improvement on an existing product, sales on the current model stop as people wait for the new one. That can delay the launch because there is too much inventory to get through. Two, given enough time/notice, competition can do a ridiculous promotion on their similar product and really hurt a launch. It is easier to give hints and notice on "new to the market" items where inventory and competition are not an issue. I could have done something with the fiber cement saw...coolest thing in the category. I am also trying to give more hints on Twitter if anyone is following me there.

OK, a bit long winded I know. Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for all the posts.
        I don't think it's about giving out a specific date and time on delivery. I would think everyone knows that doing so would just end up getting people pissed off when deadlines are not met. I think it's more of, "Oh, we have this and this coming out soon to upgrade or replace such and such." The mini impactor and two speed update on the drill/driver kind of just showed up...after I purchased five or so of the small single speed units to stick into a few of my road boxes. Whoops. Now I'm not angry about that or anything, the tool does exactly what I need it to do, but I'm sure you can see my point on that.

On another note, just saw an 18v compact four piece compact kit in HD (still packed up in the shipping material) using the max compact drill (with the shorter chuck), impact driver, worklight, and the one handed reciprocating saw. Was retailing at around 329 bucks if I remember right. Damn shame that I can't find just the drill in my local stores as I really like that tool.

Comment

Woussko, we had add-on tools for a few years (MaxSelect) which we thought would accomplish what you talk about and, truthfully, they didn't move as quickly as we expected. What could we have done differently?

Frankiarmz, good to hear from you. Nobody has hit me up for the cordless 1/2" impact for months. At least I know you saw the survey so you can't say we are completely ignoring the idea ;-)

Ru, you've sniffed out our sinister plan. Force three compact drills upon every toolbox. Hope the baby (bet that term is about done) is doing well.

Doughboy, To be honest, I thought the flashlight was a gimmick in a combo kit for the longest time. Now I find myself using it almost as much as the drill. Though addicted is a strong word, maybe I should set up a hotline...

Makita...OK, I'm not typing the rest of the user name ;-)...I like the benchtop table saw, but wouldn't put it on the same applications as the 2410 (which I really like.) While it has good power, I think that one in particular is an awesome fit for installing hardwood floors

Speaking of max select, I think making more tools in those couple years would have helped. I constantly read posts where people want more 24 volt tools. Maybe too pricey at 119, cant speak for everyone.

Comment

Has anyone tried the new one handed recip saw?

Comment

Originally posted by thediyer View Post
              Has anyone tried the new one handed recip saw?
              Hell yeah, real cool. It should have been a 24 volt tool, damn.

Comment

Yeah, I'd have liked to see more 24v tools. The price was a bit prohibitive. We all thought the Lithium Ion price premium would have lasted longer so when prices came down so quickly it then became cost prohibitive. Besides, weight seemed to be the big driver. People were more excited about "18v power at 12v weight" than "24 at 18." Lesson learned for all of us. There are some tools which would be cool at the 24v. You never know, it may make a come back some day.

That compact drill from the kit is coming out by itself. It is the R86007. Don't know the exact price but it shouldn't surprise you.

I love that one hand recip saw. Great for PVC and small demolition jobs. However, if you are doing some big time "tearin' stuff up" you'll still want a bigger saw, like the R3002.

Comment

That compact drill from the kit is coming out by itself. It is the R86007. Don't know the exact price but it shouldn't surprise you.
                  Good deal.

Comment

Was at HD today and saw two new kits. 3 piece includes the Autoshift drill, radio and one handed recip saw for 249.00. 4 piece includes Autoshift drill, new impact, LED light and one handed recip saw for 329.00. The new impact is shorter than the Makita but a little heavier, more torque and the light is on the handle. All in all I like the new Impact, the radio and the one hand recip. but the Autoshift drill and light I can do without. The Milwaukee rep said they are going to deeply discount the Maxselect tools and stop selling them.

Comment

Thanx for replies. Response about product launches makes sense. I do have a suggestion though, once products are released in store, have the specs, descriptions, etc.. on the ridgid web site, and on the home depot website. I believe none of the new products are on either.

Comment

I saw a new RIDGID Fiberboard Saw today at the HD, It was pretty much a circular saw with a fiber blade and some sort of dust collector system. Looked pretty sweet but was $199

Comment

"Woussko, we had add-on tools for a few years (MaxSelect) which we thought would accomplish what you talk about and, truthfully, they didn't move as quickly as we expected. What could we have done differently?"

" Pro Brand", you asked so here it is. Explain how $200 for 1; 24v battery and a charger is reasonable? [ I would expect that from Festool.]
                          You stopped the 24V production because you wanted more sales. Even at that $200 cost you could hardly find any starter kits, I know I tried for months even your rep. could not find any, and the tools are set to run on 24V but you have forced us to either have awful performance in 18v mode or use 2 , 24V batteries from an already expensive kit ,for all the tools we have or buy another expensive kit and try to sell the duplicate tools except for the batteries, which are what everyone else is looking for so you are still stuck . Who designed this marketing plan ? Ther were very few tool kits even. The idea was to add what you wanted , when you wanted at a reasonable cost so you did not have to buy kits with extra chargers and extra drills to get different types of tools and more batteries.
                          Ever since cordless tools with removable battery packs came to market there were extra and replacement batteries that could be EASILY bought as well. Not so with the maxselect lineup. How could it ever have succeed if you did not have reasonable cost battery kits available like the 18v LiI Ryobi green tools? Are you not the same parent company?
                          The Ryobi kit is 18V, costs $100. Milwaukee 2x 18vLiI w. chg [amazon]is around $130 Ridgid 24V, $200. If you rate the LiI cells at max chg. voltage, 4v, then 6 x4= 24V. The 18v is probably the 3.6V actual rated usable value 5 x 3.6 =18V. I am not sure of how many cells are in the cases but 1 or 2 even LiI cells do not cost $100. The 18v over the 24v charger cost is minimal as well. Ridgid is not being honest in saying it is costing 2x the cost of the 18V Ryobi kit. You are charging $100 for the LSA? The Milwaukee 2 batt kit, 5 year warranty is again $130. I though that the price surely would come down after intro. It did not until clearanced at $100. I keep hearing the "cost was just too high to sell from HD/Ridgid. "You set those costs artifically high . You created the problem with flawed logic. We are not stupid. We know 1 or 2; 4v LiI cells in the packs do not cost $100 more, plus you are forced to spend more because you have to buy another charger which defeats the whole concept of the max"SELECT", we were supposed to "get it" select what you want, right?
                          If you bought 2 more starter kits it would cost over $400 for 2 batteries and 2 chargers . Is it reasonable to expect good sales at those costs? Was Ridgid really serious? Most of us who are heavy tool users have many batterie, but not a 1:1 ratio with chargers. These tools were directed at the "heavy duty user", NO? I read that , I assumed that what I was buying .
                          I would like to talk to whoever thought that spending $200 at a time to add on a battery and forced to buy another charger was a good idea.. Why does Ridgid fail to see that this marketing plan can not possibly work? You have all sorts of max select tools but overinflated priced battery kits that no one can find anyway with "heavy duty" tools that need 24V's them to run properly. The 2 starter kits I did manage to find were both defective, and the store refused to order any replacements. I never found any after months of trying. A year later I just happend to buy a limited sale at HD.com for a HD kit 24V. Again another drill I do not want or need but I did at last have 2 24V batteries and 1 charger. Am I happy, NO. This was absurd. Never, never will I buy another Ridgid cordless tool again. Your company is so unpredictable and disorganized that I would be crazy to do this again. There was no way I would buy any used or ebay items as there would be no LSA. Waiting 1 year to be able to use the 24V tools properly that I bought is totally unaceptable. That is the main reason I bought into the Ridgid cordless line again for the 24V LiI system. What am I missing here?
                          I think HD/Ridgid thought they would attract a premium price for the "new" LiI 24V segment, but Ridgid is not a premium brand in my mind and may others. The tools maybe have premium prices though ,for some that have high replacement costs incurred by frequent LSA issues[batteries,chargers,chucks,triggers...], such as in the cordless line so there is an added cost to those tools. Nothing is for free. I am under no misconception as to the added costs included for the LSA.
                          The Ridgid tools are average performers usually but the LSA is attractive in the cordless tools. We all know the batteries do not outlast the tools.
                          Now HD/Ridgid is saying , sorry and good bye to all those who have 24V max select tools and want more batteries, tools in the future, but we support you.... I guess it does not matter ,that it is critical to even use them you need 24V batteries, but too bad for us consumers who bought those tools for the expressed purpose of your own sales info. of a more powerful tool that even weighs less. Yes they do weigh a lot less with no battery in them! I have been told by CS that it is HD fault, poor sales, stores do not order them, China has supply issues, HD says Ridgid just stopped sending them, we do not know what happened.....many excuses no solutions.
                          Can you name ANY manufacturer who does this? You can easily buy Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee batteries for tools that are even 15 years old if you want., for a reasonable cost from many different suppliers. Try to buy a 24V Ridgid battery at HD, you can not. Try to buy a 9.6v battery for an excellent screwdriver at HD. The most frequently needed item and essential part, the POWER supply, is not readily available.
                          The one I really blame is myself. I stopped buying Ridgid years ago when the TTI / HD became in charge and all my local service ctrs. stopped repairing Ridgid. I had the rest in Makita, deWalt, pre TTI Milwaukee, and Ryobi as backup tools. I only had 1 Ridgid 12v drill and angle impact special kit because that was unique. I did not buy anything eles for years. Then, I got fooled by the 24v maxselect concept thinking that Ryobi, the same company, seemed to have product so why shoud it be any different. HD had a free $100 contractor gift card offer with new commercial credit account, the LSA., add what you like..all seem like a great idea at the time. Wrong.

Comment

Andrew,

Thank you for the thoughtful response. You are right. I asked for it.

The 24V system made sense to me when you added tools to a drill or combo kit (especially when the prices on those came down.) The starter kits did not sell a whole lot for the reasons you mention. Particularly, they were not easily found, or probably more so, the price was prohibitive.

The fact that we disappointed you to a large degree is not something I take lightly. To your comment about parent companies- While it is true that TTI manufactures a large portion of the power tools, it is Emerson that owns RIDGID, and we have a responsibilty to keep the brand's promise of premium products aimed at the demanding professional in good stead across the entire tool portfolio. I very much appreciate your thoughts on where we've missed the mark.

Thank you for your time in the market and on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MakitaRules View Post
                              I looked at the bench top 10 inch saw and thought the fence was to flimsy the ts2410 has the best fence on a portable table saw imo
                              I assume your not counting the dewalt rack n pinion fence, you cant get any more accurate than that.

Comment

Originally posted by RidgidMANJames View Post
                                I saw a new RIDGID Fiberboard Saw today at the HD, It was pretty much a circular saw with a fiber blade and some sort of dust collector system. Looked pretty sweet but was $199
                                I saw this saw as well and am worried about getting replacement blades for it. I know I've asked in other threads but there has been no response. Anyone, Probrand included, know about the 5" blades?

Comment

Working...
                                X