X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milwaukee - New M18 3/8 and 1/2 Impact Wrenches

From what I have read on most fasteners you don't need anymore than 150ft/lbs of torque or you risk snapping them more often than not. Large impacts with 300+ ft/lbs are great for some instances, but usually in automotive or very large fastening situations.

Comment

Originally posted by workerbob View Post
      From what I have read on most fasteners you don't need anymore than 150ft/lbs of torque or you risk snapping them more often than not. Large impacts with 300+ ft/lbs are great for some instances, but usually in automotive or very large fastening situations.

Impact wrenches are definately a case were more power than the competition is not always better. Too much power can destroy whatever it is you're working on. Picking the appropriate tool is more important.

Comment

I've always wanted to buy one of those full size cordless 1/2" impact wrenches for the hell of it, but I wouldn't use it that much other than changing car tires. The 36V DeWalt model ,for example, is outrageously expensive. Actually they would be excellent for driving large wood bits such as self feeds or augers if you get the right adapter. If you get an air powered one you need a big compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
          I've always wanted to buy one of those full size cordless 1/2" impact wrenches for the hell of it, but I wouldn't use it that much other than changing car tires. The 36V DeWalt model ,for example, is outrageously expensive. Actually they would be excellent for driving large wood bits such as self feeds or augers if you get the right adapter. If you get an air powered one you need a big compressor.
          I love my V28 Milwaukee impact wrench - don't use it much, but man is it handy when I do. It drove half inch, five inch long lag bolts into four inches of wood last fall with ease.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            I love my V28 Milwaukee impact wrench - don't use it much, but man is it handy when I do. It drove half inch, five inch long lag bolts into four inches of wood last fall with ease.
            I'm jealous Mack! Now the only thing that would make it worse is if you said "Yeah, I keep a spare in my Corvette Z06 because my girlfriend who is a sex therapist/exotic dancer likes to use it on the Lamborghini she shares with her twin sister! Oh Yeah I can dream!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Sceeter W Wheels;215276]I've always wanted to buy one of those full size cordless 1/2" impact wrenches for the hell of it,

Good enough reason for me! I have some bits by Irwin that will go through a sixteen inch telephone pole! The adapter is for the half inch impact and fits their hex shank bits. Takes about five seconds to drill through a 2x4.

Comment

You're going to make me spend money I don't need to, aren't you?

Originally posted by tinmack View Post

Comment

Milwaukee also makes this bad boy:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192145_192137

with the 7/16" quick change so you can pop in the wood bits with that shank. I wonder why more people don't use an impact wrench for large bits because there'd be no kickback in a stall.

[QUOTE=Frankiarmz;215286]
                  Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                  I've always wanted to buy one of those full size cordless 1/2" impact wrenches for the hell of it,

Good enough reason for me! I have some bits by Irwin that will go through a sixteen inch telephone pole! The adapter is for the half inch impact and fits their hex shank bits. Takes about five seconds to drill through a 2x4.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sceeter W Wheels;215290]Milwaukee also makes this bad boy:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192145_192137

with the 7/16" quick change so you can pop in the wood bits with that shank. I wonder why more people don't use an impact wrench for large bits because there'd be no kickback in a stall.

Most of the tradesmen are introduced to the Holehog and that's the tool they know and use. The impact wrench with the proper auger bit would run circles around a holehog in my opinion.

Comment

I think the constant hammering would wear out an Impact Wrench pretty quickly but considering the safety difference to me it would be worth it. Some company used to make a heavy duty keyed drill chuck that would mount on a short length 1/2" square drive impact socket extension. Now that would be great for drilling big holes!!!

I'll give you a hint. The Milwaukee 1680 Super Hawg drill has a safety clutch in low gear. That should help save people from getting busted up when things jam hard.

Sceeter and others

Milwaukee also makes this corded model in case you need more power and/or have lots of work to do all at once.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192182_192137
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Woussko; 03-11-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Now if you really want to drill some big holes, here is the right tool to use. No more little toys.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/milwaukee/1854-1
                        This bad dog works and works hard and long.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I'm jealous Mack! Now the only thing that would make it worse is if you said "Yeah, I keep a spare in my Corvette Z06 because my girlfriend who is a sex therapist/exotic dancer likes to use it on the Lamborghini she shares with her twin sister! Oh Yeah I can dream!!!
                          If that was the case, Frankie, I would NEVER be around to type replies on this forum.

I would be too tired to type..........
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I completed the transformation of my M18 1/4" hex impact driver to the 3/8" square drive impact. The 3/8" anvil from Milwaukee was about $20 after shipping and handling. I swaped out the 1/4" hex anvil and now I can take off lug nuts, etc. with my new toy. I bought another M18 impact with the hex anvil as a replacement - $70 tool only on ebay. So I essentially got a new cordless impact for $90.

I won't use the impact for much heavy duty stuff so I went with 3/8", but the 1/2" anvil is only $2 more. I really wanted it for tight spots where a breaker bar is tough to use or where there are many bolts to remove to save time. So far so good!

My sex therapist/exotic dancer wife loves it, too!

Comment

I have an older 18V 1/2" drive made in USA Milwaukee that is a beast. Can take lugs off my F350 4x4 easily, torqued at 175 ft/lbs, which requires much more torque to remove. The reversible battery feature is great for access in removing lugs and improving the balance. Been wanting a 3/8 impact 14.4V too but the bare tool from Milwaukee is $150. and never have I seen a price drop.
                              The DW corded impact would not budge them , that tool went back.
                              I too would like an angle grinder in the Ridgid line 24V but that is not going to happen now.

Comment

Working...
                              X