X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee - New M18 3/8 and 1/2 Impact Wrenches

Today, 02/24/09, I received an E-mail from Milwaukee Electric Tool Corp. being that I'm a member of their Heavy Duty Club. It shows what they say are 2 new tools in their newish "M18" class of cordless tools. They are a 3/8" and a 1/2" square drive impact wrench.

Here is some info on each of them.

3/8" drive model 2651-22 and 1/2" drive model 2652-22

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...E?OpenDocument

Special note: I bet these have been out for some time. It seems the last to find out about new Milwaukee products are members of their Heavy Duty Club and it's been that way for years. GRRRRRR ___ In addition these do not come cheap. For the $$$, I can get a very good air powered impact wrench and have nice $$$ left over for good quality impact sockets. The Ingersol-Rand model IR213C comes to mind. The model IR231G looks much the same but is a POC beside the C version.
    Last edited by Woussko; 02-24-2009, 08:48 PM.

Re: Milwaukee - New M18 3/8 and 1/2 Impact Wrenches

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    Today, 02/24/09, I received an E-mail from Milwaukee Electric Tool Corp. being that I'm a member of their Heavy Duty Club. It shows what they say are 2 new tools in their newish "M18" class of cordless tools. They are a 3/8" and a 1/2" square drive impact wrench.

Here is some info on each of them.

3/8" drive model 2651-22 and 1/2" drive model 2652-22

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...E?OpenDocument

Special note: I bet these have been out for some time. It seems the last to find out about new Milwaukee products are members of their Heavy Duty Club and it's been that way for years. GRRRRRR ___ In addition these do not come cheap. For the $$$, I can get a very good air powered impact wrench and have nice $$$ left over for good quality impact sockets. The Ingersol-Rand model IR213C comes to mind. The model IR231G looks much the same but is a POC beside the C version.
    You are not alone. The RIDGID forum members have the same beef. They dont know about new tools either, usually end up buying other companies products because they dont know what RIDGID is working on. The other members on forum, or what comes out in CANADA first is how I find out.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
      You are not alone. The RIDGID forum members have the same beef. They dont know about new tools either, usually end up buying other companies products because they dont know what RIDGID is working on. The other members on forum, or what comes out in CANADA first is how I find out.
      Pfft...we found out about the seesnake micro about 3 months after you all had them.
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        And how

We the Ridgid forum members in the USA seem to always be the last to find out.

Comment

Milwaukee...............yet another TTI company. Anyone see a pattern here?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            In addition these do not come cheap. For the $$$, I can get a very good air powered impact wrench and have nice $$$ left over for good quality impact sockets. The Ingersol-Rand model IR213C comes to mind. The model IR231G looks much the same but is a POC beside the C version.

Remember when you buy these sets you're also paying for the cost of two batteries plus a charger. The cost of the tool itself is much cheaper. Chances are if you're buying one of these you will already have your basic M18 kit so you'll look for the bare tool. Same with air powered ones. They might be cheaper but only if you already have a capable compressor, which is by no means a portable solution.

Comment

180ft/lbs of torque for the 1/2" model is not very much compared to most of the other cordless models. Why so weak?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                180ft/lbs of torque for the 1/2" model is not very much compared to most of the other cordless models. Why so weak?
                Se when they come out with a V36 series that we will get all excited and grab one even though the $$$ will make us and once we get home and realize what we spent all the big $$$ for.

Comment

I believe the smaller ones are rated by in/lbs of torque and not ft/lbs. The conversion is done by 12. So 180ft/lbs= 2,160 in/lbs. I'm assuming I understand you right?

Comment

Its fairly standard. Look at all other manufacturers and they all have similar models. It's sort of an in between model to the impact drivers which are usually in the low 100ft/lbs and the big wrenches rated at around 300ft/lbs. Thats a large gap in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                      Remember when you buy these sets you're also paying for the cost of two batteries plus a charger. The cost of the tool itself is much cheaper. Chances are if you're buying one of these you will already have your basic M18 kit so you'll look for the bare tool. Same with air powered ones. They might be cheaper but only if you already have a capable compressor, which is by no means a portable solution.
                      Yeah, unlike RIDGID, MILWAUKEE sells most of their tools in stand alone mode!!!

Comment

From what I've read so far, the new Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench is actually the class leader in having the most torque 'specified' for cordless 'compact' impact wrenches. For this class size of 'compact' impact wrenches, it beats out Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt, etc, on paper. Whether it can provide more 'useful' sustained torque and lead the way in real world performance is another matter. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't, but the people who buy this tool and compare it to their other tools through their own first hand experiences will know exactly how it stacks up against all their other equipment.

I like looking at specifications, but looking at numbers can only give a person a limited amount of information. For instance, I have the Milwaukee M18 2650 impact driver among several other newer versions of impact drivers from Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt, etc. Even though the M18 impact driver is rated at more torque than our other impact drivers, our Dewalt DC827 impact driver was able to remove nuts torqued to a higher spec that our M18 could not remove. And more important to me was that our DC827's simply killed every other impact driver I tested when it came to getting the job done quicker.

This doesn't mean the M18 2650 is junk. In fact, I like the M18 2650 impact driver very much. It has a lot to offer and it would make a good choice for some people. I personally like the looks and ergonomics of the M18 better than the DC827 and the battery fuel gauge is terrific because it gives the user a 'general' idea of how much capacity remains in the battery as long as its used correctly. Unfortunately, the M18 impact driver is heavy compared to some impact drivers. For instance, the M18 2650 impact driver with its XC battery weighs in at 4lbs 1.5oz on my scale and the DC827 weighs in at 3lbs 9.5oz with a nano battery on my scale. The DC827 is almost a half pound lighter.

My point is, the new M18 1/2 inch impact wrench is a very powerful tool when compared to other impact wrenches in its class of 'compact' tools. It's not nearly as powerful when compared to a much larger impact wrench such as Dewalts DW059 with 300 ft/lbs of torque. And I would not always trust the specs as written on paper to make my purchase decisions. Try to get some time with the tool and check it out for yourself and compare it to other tools you might have or tools your friends and other contractors have because those experiences might influence your decision, whatever it might be.

Comment

I was excited to see the new square drive impacts on the M18 line. I have the driver and drill and like them both. Since I didn't want to spend the money ($179) for the bare tool 3/8" impact, I just ordered the 3/8" anvil from Milwaukee ($15 plus shipping). I am going to swap out the 1/4" hex anvil and use the new impact for automotive stuff. Btw, I attached a square drive adaptor to the impact driver and it did remove a lug nut at 100lb-ft. However the torque twisted the adaptor so my experiment was short lived. I think this tool should be able to take off brake caliper bolts and other medium size fasteners.

I'll buy another impact driver off ebay to replace my modified one. Save myself some dough!

I'll let everyone know how my experiment goes...

Comment

Originally posted by qadsan View Post
                            From what I've read so far, the new Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact wrench is actually the class leader in having the most torque 'specified' for cordless 'compact' impact wrenches. For this class size of 'compact' impact wrenches, it beats out Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt, etc, on paper. Whether it can provide more 'useful' sustained torque and lead the way in real world performance is another matter. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't, but the people who buy this tool and compare it to their other tools through their own first hand experiences will know exactly how it stacks up against all their other equipment.

I like looking at specifications, but looking at numbers can only give a person a limited amount of information. For instance, I have the Milwaukee M18 2650 impact driver among several other newer versions of impact drivers from Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt, etc. Even though the M18 impact driver is rated at more torque than our other impact drivers, our Dewalt DC827 impact driver was able to remove nuts torqued to a higher spec that our M18 could not remove. And more important to me was that our DC827's simply killed every other impact driver I tested when it came to getting the job done quicker.

This doesn't mean the M18 2650 is junk. In fact, I like the M18 2650 impact driver very much. It has a lot to offer and it would make a good choice for some people. I personally like the looks and ergonomics of the M18 better than the DC827 and the battery fuel gauge is terrific because it gives the user a 'general' idea of how much capacity remains in the battery as long as its used correctly. Unfortunately, the M18 impact driver is heavy compared to some impact drivers. For instance, the M18 2650 impact driver with its XC battery weighs in at 4lbs 1.5oz on my scale and the DC827 weighs in at 3lbs 9.5oz with a nano battery on my scale. The DC827 is almost a half pound lighter.

My point is, the new M18 1/2 inch impact wrench is a very powerful tool when compared to other impact wrenches in its class of 'compact' tools. It's not nearly as powerful when compared to a much larger impact wrench such as Dewalts DW059 with 300 ft/lbs of torque. And I would not always trust the specs as written on paper to make my purchase decisions. Try to get some time with the tool and check it out for yourself and compare it to other tools you might have or tools your friends and other contractors have because those experiences might influence your decision, whatever it might be.

"Class Leader"??

You guys need to check out the "Monster" of all cordless impacts:
                            650ft/lbs of torque'smoke' a couple of competitors.
                            Phil
                            Tools Rule

Comment

Just a few thoughts on the last couple posts. Yes, the SnapOn impact is a monster. The Bosch is advertised at 350ft/lbs, not too shabby! If you are going to use socket adapters make sure they are "impact" rated just like drive sockets. Come on Ridgid, get your feet wet and give up a nice 18volt impact wrench we can be proud of, anything over 240ft/lbs should do the trick.
                              P.S., please sell it individually and not part of a kit! Enough of the kit only stuff already, do you realize how many folks are turning away and buying other brands which do sell individual tools?

Comment

Working...
                              X