Sucking up acid with Ridgid WD1450 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucking up acid with Ridgid WD1450 ?

Hey I was looking at this Ridgid vacuum and it looks like it will do what I want it to .

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Except I am thinking I will be wanting to suck up acid with it... in the future. I am wondering if anyone knows, or knows how to find out. I'm sure Ridgid must have a number to call.. I am just not sure about if I'd be talking to someone who'd really know. The manufacturer should have a good help desk #?

I looked at the owners manual but it didn't really say.

Thanks,

Erin

Re: Sucking up acid with Ridgid WD1450 ?

My first thoughts were that this is a joke question, but then my calendar indicates that it's NOT April 1st!

Sucking up ACID? Surely you jest! But in case you're serious, there is a Ridgid service number listed in your owners manual. You can also look here on this website and find a support number.

You don't mention what kind of acid you're talking about but I'm left with the thoughts that you've got more than a few concerns here. Like the wand and hose are more than likely a plastic of some sort, and then there's a paper-composite filter, and then of course the vacuum vanes and then the motor assembly. I would be inclined to think that most acids would readily corrode through most of these materials. But even if the plastics were corrosion resistant to most acids, I would think that the filter material would not withstand even the weaker acids and would soon give way, allowing the acid to blow through the motor assembly.

With the collapse and/or destruction of the filter, the acid would then be blown into the room, and at that point, you'd have some serious physical problems.

Good luck, but sucking up acid with an off-the-shelf, vacuum unit would be highly questionable even for a $149 "professional" vacuum.

CWS

Comment

Do I need to use carbide-tipped bits to chip uranium ore? I want to make a chess set out of uranium.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
        Do I need to use carbide-tipped bits to chip uranium ore? I want to make a chess set out of uranium.
        Come on dude, everyone expects you to answer the guys question!

Comment

It will probably work great for a short while until the acid eats through the filter and the aerosol like spray of acid mist through the guts of the vacuum and out the exhaust port either attacks and wrecks the motor in the vacuum or the respiratory system of anyone in the area not wearing a good respirator.

Comment

Working...
          X