Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18v Battery "Fix" SAFE??

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
    I believe the new Ryobi 18V Lithium Ion batts will fit in your tools and will turn them into super performers. Hopefully there wll be someone who can confirm my guess. You would have to purchase a charger compatable with the LI batts also.
    Really!? That's worth checking into. Thanks!
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Comment

[QUOTE=reConx;212163]Provide the model# of your Ryobi 18V drill for the best answer. All of my "old" BLUE Ryobi drills are compatible the new 18V Ryobi Li batteries. The drills feel stronger and are a tad lighter in weight. I purchased a discontinued Ryobi P813 kit mainly for the batteries+charger.

Batt. #1322401 "use only with charger #1423701"
      And the answer is...???
      Stay well and play well.
      Skip

Comment

If you have a computer and know how to use search engines then no, it's not worth buying. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nicad+%20zapping+tutorial[/QUOTE]

DRC-Wartex,
        Yes, I have done extensive searching. That is a cool animation though. Did you make that? Very cool. Despite my own research (thanks google) I thought some of you out there would have some personal experience with this. It was also my hope that you would suggest what is for sale at $7 is the same info available for free.
        Thanks much.
        Skip
        Last edited by skipsax; 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM.
        Stay well and play well.
        Skip

Comment

If you have a computer and know how to use search engines then no, it's not worth buying. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nicad+%20zapping+tutorial[/QUOTE]

Since I got $25 to HD for my birthday, I smell a trip to HD coming on...
          Stay well and play well.
          Skip

Comment

From my own personal experience: I do not have any Ryobi tools and do not know the prices of new batteries for them. All my battery operated tools happen to be DeWalt 18 vXP. I got tired of paying the prices of the new batteries also and started searching for something better. I found "Prime Cell" a place that rebuilds batteries using higher amphour battery cells. I have now had them rebuild five (5) of my batteries which they changed from 1200 maH to 2400 maH for $46.00 each. I cannot complain about these batteries. I do not work for "Prime Cell". This was my own experience and am happy with them. Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
              From my own personal experience: I do not have any Ryobi tools and do not know the prices of new batteries for them. All my battery operated tools happen to be DeWalt 18 vXP. I got tired of paying the prices of the new batteries also and started searching for something better. I found "Prime Cell" a place that rebuilds batteries using higher amphour battery cells. I have now had them rebuild five (5) of my batteries which they changed from 1200 maH to 2400 maH for $46.00 each. I cannot complain about these batteries. I do not work for "Prime Cell". This was my own experience and am happy with them. Thanks, David
              I'm just curious, Dewalt makes batteries with 1.3, 1.7, 2.0 and 2.4 Ah, with XRP being 2.4 Ah. Where did you get the 1.2 rating? Some very old 2.4 and 3.6 tools use 1.2 but those are long discontinued.
              Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 03-03-2009, 02:09 AM.

Comment

The compact Nicad batteries are 1.3ah if I remember correctly. I don't think those can be upgraded to 2.4ah as the cells wouldn't fit. Right now the 2 packs for XRP 18v nicads are selling for $89 here and I can get them for about the same one ebay. I looked in to battery rebuilding options and with 2 way shipping costs it always seems to end up costing more than just buying new.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                  The compact Nicad batteries are 1.3ah if I remember correctly. I don't think those can be upgraded to 2.4ah as the cells wouldn't fit. Right now the 2 packs for XRP 18v nicads are selling for $89 here and I can get them for about the same one ebay. I looked in to battery rebuilding options and with 2 way shipping costs it always seems to end up costing more than just buying new.
                  DC9099 compact is 1.7 Ah just like a non-compact version of it. They are made by Sanyo, 4/5C form factor, model CP 1700SCR LK (one is in front of me right now). They CAN be upgraded to 2.4+ Ah NiMH which do exist in 4/5C form factor, just very unlikely someone does this.

DW9046, DW9048, DW9050, DW9051
                  DW9057, DW9062, DW9072, DW9074, DW9094, DW9098
                  DC9094, DC9099, DW9061, DW9071, DW9091, DW9095, DW9099, DW0240
                  DW0242
                  DC9071, DC9091, DC9180, DC9360,DW9096,DC9280
                  Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 03-03-2009, 02:12 AM.

Comment

$50 fix was two new batteries a couple weeks ago bought at HD. Safe and fixed.
                    Stay well and play well.
                    Skip

Comment

I don't know what the 'battery fix' is, but I assume it is using a similar voltage source to zap the battery back to life.

I just did this on a 17 year old Craftsman NiCd. I tried using the charger. After 10 goes on the charger, I got the voltage up to 10 volts from the original 6. I only use the battery for a light these days, the drill works fine, but I have newer ones. Replacement battery is $70, and not worth it. To zap it, I used a 24 volt battery connected -ve to -ve and +ve to +ve. The +ve connection was intermittent (repeatedly tapped the connection). Checked the battery voltage after every 20 taps. Eventually got up to 17 volts and then put it on the charger. Charged up OK. Came off the charger at 21 volts (same as my other 18 volt batteries).

Checked the battery after 7 days, and it was holding a charge better than the other battery from the pair that I have.

We will see how long this lasts. I fully expect it to deteriorate quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                        Your best bet is to send it to Voltman ( http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront ) or buy a new one on eBay. Don't buy batteries from stores, you get ripped of on markup.
                        I would NOT recommend Voltman batteries. I used them to rebuild 3 18V DeWalt batteries, which they did promptly, including getting them back to me.

I am not a professional, so the batteries were not put to heavy duty use, though I cycled through them all and periodically charged them to prevent the voltage from getting too low.

The run times were not any longer than my two other standard 18V XR batteries (not XRP), which are a few years older. For some reason, my Voltman batteries lose their charge much more quickly than the stock XR packs, when they are not used. Charge them all, put them on the shelf for a few weeks, and the old DeWalt batteries have lots of juice, while the Voltmans are dead. Not really sure why.

After about a year, one of the batteries would not hold a charge at all, so I contacted Voltman, explaining my situation, and I was told "too bad, nothing we can do for you." I had hoped that as a first time customer who had spent over $100 with them that there would have been SOMETHING that could have been done.

It's too bad, since I really wanted to like them, but my overall experience with them had turned sour.

I'm back to buying OEM packs, unfortunately.

Comment

I saw that on ebay (magical battery fix)...you can learn about that for free...do a google search online for "nicad battery fix" and you will get about eight or ten good hits that will tell you the "tricks" for free !! Most of them involve putting a huge resistor across the battery poles to jolt them back to life. The ryobi batteries are very reasonably priced...not like the milwaukee or dewalt...I would just spring for new batteries. Whenever I hear of a new trick, I check with google...there are just as many nice, honest people in the world as there are scammers...so it makes sense that if the trick worked, you would hear about it on forums like this (from nice, honest people) !

artie in miami

ps why is the little yellow smiley guy on the right calling me a "loser"...he must have spoken to my wife !

Comment

Re: 18v Battery "Fix" SAFE?? - - solution

All,

I found a trick to fix my 18 V Ryobi battery and here is how to do it:
                            (when my battery didn't want to take charge with the green & yellow light being on when plug in the oulet)

-Have the battery install on the charger first.
                            -then have plug (from the charger's cord) touch to the outlet just enough to those lights on, then lift the plug aside so the plug is slightly not touch to have he lights off, then touch to on, then untouch to off. (on/off doesn't have to be very fast)
                            -Keep making those yellow and green light on-off-on-off for about more or less then 10 times, then the red light will be on for you to charge your battery.

Work for me, but the battery won't hold very long.
                            Please do let all know, if you could get yours to work using this way. Thank you.

So, plan to use the battery right after it got charged for 1 or 2 hour.
                            If you don't use the battery after charge, it will loose all the charge. and that is the reason it got bad and won't let you charge in the first place.
                            Last edited by scy909; 11-09-2010, 06:25 PM. Reason: see if it work for other

Comment

Greetings,

Great post explaining dentrites and their formation at the end of a batteries life from DRC-Wartex! Awesome information for all to know here. As ray (roadrashray) stated, the 18volt Lithium Ion line is backward compatible, so you can get the next gen now that the pricing has come down a bit. They last longer, charge faster, and in many cases are lighter in weight than the original. As someone else posted they are available at your local Home depot and may have special pricing in the next few weeks due to the holidays.

Hope that helps,

HD 116

Comment

Originally posted by Carl762 View Post
                                Now, that is good to know. When mine wear out, LithiumIon here I come.

the new li-ion are backward compatible with the earlier 18v tools, the charger as was mentioned is not, so you will need a new charger and batteries which are expensive. Batteries bought alone are $89 each I think.

If you are not looking to add a tool to your collection, the cheapest way to get 2 full size (P104) batteries AND a charger is to go to the paint section and buy the cordless hand held paint sprayer (model P631K). It's ~$161 or there abouts. For that price you get the charger, 2 batteries, and the paint sprayer whcih if you don't want it you can sell it on ebay or craigs list and recoup some money.

P631K Sprayer
                                (2) P103 Compact Lithium-Ion Batteries
                                (1) P113 Dual-Chemistry Charger
                                (2) Atomizer Valves
                                1 Quart Quick-Lock Container
                                Cleaning Brush
                                Lubricant
                                12 in. Wide Fan Tip
                                1 in. Round Tip
                                Canvas Tool Bag
                                Operator's Manuals

Click image for larger version

Name:	487796f49bba073cf75801d36c770c73.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	12073
                                ---------------
                                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                                ---------------
                                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                                ---------
                                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                                ---------
                                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X