X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Battery "Fix" SAFE??

A Ryobi 18V set I have had for about 7 or 8 years is tired. This is NOT the newer + One. Both batteries won't charge at all. I can't confirm there is a problem with the charger. I suspect the batteries. When looking online for replacements for these batteries. I did find many sites and ads for "Battery Fixes". There even was a video I found showing how to "shock" the batteries in question with a welder.

Since the tools themselves are still working properly and just fine, I didn't want to spend another $300-$500 on a set of Dewalt or other. The Ryobi set has been fine but as I replace tools, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Dewalt and yes RIDGID are more my speed.

Now the question: Is this "battery fix" worth buying for $7 or so or should I stay clear of this supposedly "safe" practice. Money is money but safety is no joke to me.

Thanks much in advance.
    Skip
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Re: 18v Battery "Fix" SAFE??

If you are happy with the ryobi, IMO great tools for the price, why wouldn't you just stick with it, and purchase new batteries or a whole new set of teh newer ryobis at a fraction of the cost of a "name brand."

I always buy the best tool I can afford at the time, that being said my tool collection is quite eclectic, ridgid, milwaulkee, craftsman, dewalt, and yes ryobi.

I wouldnt give another dollar to these scam artists advertising a quick fix for anything!

Comment

Originally posted by skipsax View Post
      A Ryobi 18V set I have had for about 7 or 8 years is tired. This is NOT the newer + One. Both batteries won't charge at all. I can't confirm there is a problem with the charger. I suspect the batteries. When looking online for replacements for these batteries. I did find many sites and ads for "Battery Fixes". There even was a video I found showing how to "shock" the batteries in question with a welder.

Since the tools themselves are still working properly and just fine, I didn't want to spend another $300-$500 on a set of Dewalt or other. The Ryobi set has been fine but as I replace tools, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Dewalt and yes RIDGID are more my speed.

Now the question: Is this "battery fix" worth buying for $7 or so or should I stay clear of this supposedly "safe" practice. Money is money but safety is no joke to me.

Thanks much in advance.
      Skip
      I cant (or, wont) vouch for the safety of it, but I admit Ive done it before. My Milwaukee batteries were notorious for this: they would discharge so low the charger wouldnt even know there was a battery on it. I used an RC car battery charger (of much lower output than the Milwaukee charger) just to get some sort of initial charge back into them, then put them on the Milwaukee charger to complete the charge. There was no safety risk that I could see because I wasnt trying to "zap" the batteries with higher than normal voltage for long periods of time. Just enough to get some juice into them so the stock charger could see them.

I dont use the Milwaukee anymore since I bought the Ridgid with LLSA (say what you want about it, but once it replaces one worn battery Ive pretty much paid for the drill). Now that you mention it Ill try to charge the milwaukee batteries tonight and see if the charger even knows they are there!!

Comment

I don't know what secret they have for $7. If it is the shock treatment, I would stay away from it. It works, but if you keep the batteries connected too long or connect them incorrectly, they can overheat, permanently damaging the battery or exploding. We are talking about seconds, not minutes for heat damage to start to occur.

This really only works if the batteries have run down, and provides a boost charge to the battery for the normal charger to recognise it as a battery. If there are other problems with the battery, it will only provide a temporary fix at best.

A safer method to use is to use the normal charger. When you place the battery on the charger it will provide a small charge current while it checks to see if the battery is good. If the battery has insufficient charge, it will be rejected and show up as having a problem.

If you have a voltmeter, I would check the battery voltage before starting this. Place the battery on the charger for 15 minutes, remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Do NOT place in a tool to check if it made any difference, but you can check the battery voltage if you want. Repeat the process. After 2 tries on the charger, if the battery has not started to charge, check the voltage. If the voltage has not increased, the battery is no good. If the voltage has increased, repeat process. Once the battery voltage gets to around 12 volts (only an estimate) it should start taking a charge normally.

Comment

Thanks much in advance.
          Skip
          I believe the new Ryobi 18V Lithium Ion batts will fit in your tools and will turn them into super performers. Hopefully there wll be someone who can confirm my guess. You would have to purchase a charger compatable with the LI batts also.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            I believe the new Ryobi 18V Lithium Ion batts will fit in your tools and will turn them into super performers. Hopefully there wll be someone who can confirm my guess. You would have to purchase a charger compatable with the LI batts also.
            Now, that is good to know. When mine wear out, LithiumIon here I come.

Comment

A Ryobi 18V set I have had for about 7 or 8 years is tired. This is NOT the newer + One. Both batteries won't charge at all. I can't confirm there is a problem with the charger. I suspect the batteries
              Provide the model# of your Ryobi 18V drill for the best answer. All of my "old" BLUE Ryobi drills are compatible the new 18V Ryobi Li batteries. The drills feel stronger and are a tad lighter in weight. I purchased a discontinued Ryobi P813 kit mainly for the batteries+charger.

If you decide on rebuilding your batteries check out:

Battery Builders / MTO Battery
              sales@mtobattery.com
              http://www.mtobattery.com

Comment

I'd stay well away from any kind of "shock" suggestions... especially so, if the recommendation is to use an arc welder. That's one heckuva lot of "juice" to be feeding a NiCad.

I'm used to be an avid user of A-size, type A penlite batteries. I use a so-called "smart charger" from Maha Energy. I have noticed that if the batteries run down to low, the charge will not recognize them and therefore will NOT charge them. In which case, I've used a simple, cheap "dumb" charger. Not much more that just a "wall wart". Once the NiCad get's charged for a few minutes with that, the "smart charger" will then work okay.

So, I suspect a similar approach would work with the NiCad tool pack. However, one should realize that no battery will last forever (NiCad, NiMa, or LiIon. They all have a predicted number of charges for their useful lifetime. The bottom line being that you may well try and to some small extent, succeed in getting an old battery to take a charge... but it will generally not be anything like when it was new.

Therefore, IMO once you have to resort to "tricks", it's just time to get some new batteries. In the case of an old, and perhaps, obsolete battery, you may want to find a source that will rebuild your existing case. I believe there are a few places that are reasonable and reliable.

I do understand and agree with your not wanting to simply throw away any tool that you've had great service with. That's one of the reasons all my cordless tools are Ridgid. The LLSA pretty much guarantees that I'll always have new batteries when I need them.

CWS

Comment

Let me claify for everybody what the $7 fix is. Ebay is plagues by the eBooks explaining how to magically "fix" NiCd batteries.

What really happens: Inside the NiCd cells, over time, thin and sharp needles form, called "dendrites". They grow gradually between the outer shell and the center electrode, eventually shorting them. Battery voltage drops by 1.2 volts for every cell that is shorted.

The "fix" is applying very high current (called "zapping") to the cell to burn the dendrite like a fuse. The problem with this is: if dendrites started forming, no amount of zapping will save your battery. Even if you burn one, in a week or month another one will grow and short the cell again. Growth of dendrites is an indicator of end of life of the battery. Zapping is a very short term solution. Also, if you apply high curret, the battery can explode. Nickel and Cadmium are toxic (esp Cd), they will be all over your house/garage/shop, plus you damage the battery casing. Your best bet is to send it to Voltman ( http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/servlet/StoreFront ) or buy a new one on eBay. Don't buy batteries from stores, you get ripped of on markup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ThF32YlW4

Comment

you can buy replacement batteries for your blue tools at HD. i have seen them at the HD store near me for like 40 bucks a pop....quick easy fix

Comment

Exactly, once NiCD's are old and deteriorated any trick to restore them is a very short term solution at best, if it even works at all, which is probably not the case. The batteries need replacement, period. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Ryobi NiCD twin packs for about $42 at HD so It's probably waste of money to try anything other than just getting a new pack. Having the batteries rebuilt is another option. They will probably use higher grade cells and sometimes offer higher AH capacities than the originals but I've found the cost usually ends up being the same or higher than just buying a new pack.

Comment

I tried the zap treatment (welder) on an 18v Ryobi battery that wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes...now it won't hold a charge at all . I ended up buying a 2 pack of new 18v batts at HD for under $50. I like my Ryobi battery tools (I have a bunch of them) and use them all the time so the $50 was worth it for me. Good luck, Mike

Comment

why all of the hassle....you can get a 2 pack for $49.97 or one for 30 something. You could upgrade with a lithium battery and charger for $89.00...all at Home Depot

Comment

[Buy new charger and two new batteries.Could be charger or batteries.quote=skipsax;212066]A Ryobi 18V set I have had for about 7 or 8 years is tired. This is NOT the newer + One. Both batteries won't charge at all. I can't confirm there is a problem with the charger. I suspect the batteries. When looking online for replacements for these batteries. I did find many sites and ads for "Battery Fixes". There even was a video I found showing how to "shock" the batteries in question with a welder.

Thanks much in advance.
                            Skip[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by trainman37 View Post
                              [Buy new charger and two new batteries.Could be charger or batteries.quote=skipsax;212066]A Ryobi 18V set I have had for about 7 or 8 years is tired. This is NOT the newer + One. Both batteries won't charge at all. I can't confirm there is a problem with the charger. I suspect the batteries. When looking online for replacements for these batteries. I did find many sites and ads for "Battery Fixes". There even was a video I found showing how to "shock" the batteries in question with a welder.

Thanks much in advance.
                              Skip
                              [/quote]

If you have a computer and know how to use search engines then no, it's not worth buying. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nicad+%20zapping+tutorial

Comment

Working...
                              X