Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
New 18v lithium combo Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New 18v lithium combo

    I just saw it today at HD, but I did not get a pic of it. It includes the newer compact drill, an impact driver and the one handed recip. saw. I could not find the price and there were no orange aprons around. It also has a new type of flash light. I've not checked the website for info yet.
    Ern

  • #2
    Re: New 18v lithium combo

    I think it's $249

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New 18v lithium combo

      You are talking about the new R968. The Fuego kit. A cool assortment of compact but powerful tools. That one is $329.

      The $249 is a March promotional kit which I believe has the Autoshift drill, one hand recip and compact radio.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New 18v lithium combo

        This new set needs to be shown on the battery powered tools on the Ridgid site
        I had to do a Google search for "FUEGO R968" to get any details


        Cactus Man

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New 18v lithium combo

          This set had each individual tool reviewed. Minus the flashlight.

          Drill
          Impact
          One Handed Recip Saw
          Last edited by Kanxrus; 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New 18v lithium combo

            I don't think the test was fair. The Ridgid had the compact battery while the Dewalt had the standard battery and it does make a difference.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New 18v lithium combo

              Originally posted by the_aerator View Post
              I don't think the test was fair. The Ridgid had the compact battery while the Dewalt had the standard battery and it does make a difference.
              i thought the same thing, and dewalt was only marginally better

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New 18v lithium combo

                Wow, there always has to be someone with the fair remark.
                But from what I saw, it was more than fair, the power ratings are close enough to be the same, specially when you see the (supposed to be more powerful) battery technology was given to the Ridgid.
                Where the odler technology (hence supposed to be not as efficient) was on the Dewalt.
                And if going by weight, the Ridgid has the edge, and should be more powerful.
                What this shows me is not to believe so much hype into lithium batteries when using drills. Where NiCad, supposed to be so much heavier, and not as efficient, using the SAME voltage.
                Or can someone point me to a site that has done video tests, showing the same manufacture with the different tech batteries. (if the difference is about 2 or 3 lag hole difference, yet the price is double (nearly) I guess I will stick with the NiCad.
                Heck 20 lag holes with nicad, or 25 with lithium, yet the cost of the battery is 50~ for nicad, and 85~ lithium, for 5 extra holes, I don't see the worthiness.

                Ehh, my Craftsman 19.2 (nicad) does work fine for me, and really wondered if going ALL lithium is worth the premium.
                No magnesium, I can see, but for standard power tools, I don't see enough of a difference (when comparing 2 NEW batteries)
                Granted I was just about to buy into the entire Porter Cable Lithium set, due to come out (I just got the form, for checking out that system last week).
                Meh, Panasonic drills have seem to been one of the best for lasting power, with very good torque, when using on a entire rub-rail for boats (dewalt coming in a close second, and craftsman a slightly distant third, from my tests).
                But cost would go to craftsman, just buy 1 extra battery. (I keep about 5 batteries always charged)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New 18v lithium combo

                  The Dewalt might have drilled more holes but with a 60 min recharge time you could have recharged the ridgid three times resulting in 63 total holes in the time Dewalt is ready to add to its 35 holes.
                  Its also kind of funny that they talk about the Dewalt being shorter in height (without the battery of course). Then again I use my drills without a battery all the time. I know a 1/4" doesn't matter but some reviews just seem bias (Ya I know I am too). Who isn't though I guess.
                  Last edited by Ru&Lins_05; 04-25-2009, 11:32 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New 18v lithium combo

                    Unfortunately. it appears to be the same old situation of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks. Ridgid once again introduces a combo kit of the same old tools (okay the recipro is one handed), they are not available individually and we still have not gotten a variety which competes with the other major brands. Ridgid has no interest or ability in selling the grinder/cutoff tool, heavy duty impact and all the other tools Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosh and others offer. I have a Rigid combo kit and I like it, drill, recipro saw, circular saw, 1/4 inch impact, all real nice tools. I'd like a broader selection without having to switch brands. Ridgid you trying to sell tools or waste time offering the same old boring kits with a take it or leave it attitude? Don't bother answering, the new "Kit" says it all.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New 18v lithium combo

                      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      Unfortunately. it appears to be the same old situation of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks. Ridgid once again introduces a combo kit of the same old tools (okay the recipro is one handed), they are not available individually and we still have not gotten a variety which competes with the other major brands. Ridgid has no interest or ability in selling the grinder/cutoff tool, heavy duty impact and all the other tools Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosh and others offer. I have a Rigid combo kit and I like it, drill, recipro saw, circular saw, 1/4 inch impact, all real nice tools. I'd like a broader selection without having to switch brands. Ridgid you trying to sell tools or waste time offering the same old boring kits with a take it or leave it attitude? Don't bother answering, the new "Kit" says it all.
                      Frankie some day you will get your wish, im right there with you, would love to see those tools!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New 18v lithium combo

                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but believe in Kanxrus' test had the 1.7AH "compact" DeWalt battery that comes with the DC720 kit, not the standard XRP battery. So if that's the case, then it's a fair test, even if Ridgid's is 1.5AH, it's close enough to compare. Most compact lithium batteries are around 1.5AH anyway.

                        But I've heard from a couple of users that there are some build quality issues with the DC720 series in that the housing apparently doesn't hold the transmission very well, which allows the entire chuck, clutch and transmission to rock back and forth and come loose over time. Don't know if that's an isolated thing or just a poor design.

                        I have the Makita BDF452, and it's an excellent compact drill. As far as I can tell, it drills about as well as any of these in the videos. I could really care less if DeWalt manage to squeeze out a few more holes or drill 1 second faster. DeWalt always make a powerful drill, and I do like that, but power is not always everything. Sometimes it's the little things, like the fact that Makita had the decency to keep the LED on for 10 seconds after you release the trigger. Or that their clutch setting on 1 is featherweight so you don't strip out smaller screws.
                        Last edited by Sceeter W Wheels; 04-26-2009, 12:59 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: New 18v lithium combo

                          Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
                          The Dewalt might have drilled more holes but with a 60 min recharge time you could have recharged the ridgid three times resulting in 63 total holes in the time Dewalt is ready to add to its 35 holes.
                          This is a good point, however you don't mention battery cycle life? Every time I drop that battery on a charger, that's a cycle life. So over time the Dewalt is still more productive, and saves me money!?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: New 18v lithium combo

                            Originally posted by BCR View Post
                            Wow, there always has to be someone with the fair remark.
                            But from what I saw, it was more than fair, the power ratings are close enough to be the same, specially when you see the (supposed to be more powerful) battery technology was given to the Ridgid.
                            Where the odler technology (hence supposed to be not as efficient) was on the Dewalt.
                            And if going by weight, the Ridgid has the edge, and should be more powerful.
                            What this shows me is not to believe so much hype into lithium batteries when using drills. Where NiCad, supposed to be so much heavier, and not as efficient, using the SAME voltage.
                            Or can someone point me to a site that has done video tests, showing the same manufacture with the different tech batteries. (if the difference is about 2 or 3 lag hole difference, yet the price is double (nearly) I guess I will stick with the NiCad.
                            Heck 20 lag holes with nicad, or 25 with lithium, yet the cost of the battery is 50~ for nicad, and 85~ lithium, for 5 extra holes, I don't see the worthiness.

                            Ehh, my Craftsman 19.2 (nicad) does work fine for me, and really wondered if going ALL lithium is worth the premium.
                            No magnesium, I can see, but for standard power tools, I don't see enough of a difference (when comparing 2 NEW batteries)
                            Granted I was just about to buy into the entire Porter Cable Lithium set, due to come out (I just got the form, for checking out that system last week).
                            Meh, Panasonic drills have seem to been one of the best for lasting power, with very good torque, when using on a entire rub-rail for boats (dewalt coming in a close second, and craftsman a slightly distant third, from my tests).
                            But cost would go to craftsman, just buy 1 extra battery. (I keep about 5 batteries always charged)
                            your exactly right, dewalt is a little better for one and a half times the price, its not worth it!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: New 18v lithium combo

                              Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                              Frankie some day you will get your wish, im right there with you, would love to see those tools!
                              Those tools are available, just not from Ridgid. This past summer I needed a cordless angle grinder and bought the one made by Ryobi, works fine. When I'm ready to buy a 1/2 inch heavy duty impact wrench I will choose from Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt or one of the other major brands. I am annoyed that of all the brands, Ridgid is the least competitive with the fewest tools. I have said many times before that while I'm satisfied with my five piece Ridgid nicad combo, if I was to make the purchase again knowing what I know now
                              I would opt for another brand. I prefer to use one standard battery for all my cordless tools and currently that is not the case. Maybe new people will take charge over at Ridgid and decide to compete tool for tool with the big guys?
                              I know this much, while Ridgid is reinventing the 1/2inch drill over and over again, and sticking with combo kits only, other brands are offering a wide variety of tools which can be purchased separately.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X