Do I "NEED" a Bandsaw???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I "NEED" a Bandsaw???

I guess I should have asked this question before I started making offers on craigslist for used bandsaws. Now that I am close to choosing from two of them, I am wondering if I really "NEED" one.

Other than resawing, why does one truly need a bandsaw? That's not meant to be sarcastic. I am a woodworking hobbyist and wondering if I really need one or just want one. I know being able to cut curves is useful but I can sort of do that with a jigsaw too.

What kinds of things do you typically find yourself using it for?

Re: Do I "NEED" a Bandsaw???

I'm sure that many here have asked themselves the very same question, I know I did. I debated with myself for years on whether or not to buy a bandsaw. After much research and hemming and hawing I finally pulled the trigger and my only regret is that I waited so long.

Other than the usual uses that a bandsaw has I find myself using mine for all kinds of little jobs. Because my shop is small many of my tools must be stored away when not being used. Instead of taking out and setting up my miter saw for example I'll make a simple cut using the bandsaw instead as it's always setup and ready to go. Other uses could include things like making taper cuts, cutting large circles, and I even saw a fella make a spoon using a bandsaw.

If there was one big positive for waiting so long to buy my bandsaw it was that I really researched what I wanted and expected out of my bandsaw purchase. In the end, I ended up getting one that was a step above what many consider to be entry level. Yes, I ended up spending more than what I initially figured I'd like to spend but because of the amount of research I did I feel confident that I won't have to upgrade down the road. So in the long run I saved some money. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it!
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

If you have to ask that question then I'd say Yes! Life is short and if you would like to own one and can afford to buy it then go for it. Let's say after a few months you find yourself not using it much? Sell it, but at least you got to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom5151 View Post
        I know being able to cut curves is useful but I can sort of do that with a jigsaw too.
        Unless you have a really good jig saw, a band saw is much more fun. The jig saw's blade imparts more vibration, and it makes getting a good accurate cut harder. Also, a jig saw is bad for small workpieces, because the foot and the clamps to hold it down will get in each others way.

I only have a cheap $100 band saw, but I consider it a much safer tool than my jig saw.

Comment

Thanks very much guys....

I can get a used Grizzly G1019 14" Bandsaw and a Delta Shopmaster 16 Drill Press both for a toal of 250 dollars from a guy who is closing down a custom cabinet shop....

I know these are very entry level but they seem to be in great shape and that's a tempting price........I just had to ask the nagging question...."do i really NEED it"......

Comment

The Grizzly bandsaw gets a lot of good press. Sounds like you're getting the tools at a good price. I don't know much about the Shopmaster DP, but I'm sure it's a good tool. Delta makes pretty good stuff. A bandsaw is all about ease of use IMO. I haven't hardly used my jig saw since I got a BS. Like BD said, it's always there and ready to go, so I end up using it for all sorts of things. It sure makes tapered legs easy! It's also great for cutting up scrap into pieces for the smoker.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

the tapered leg scenario has me very interested. I have tried using a couple jigs on my TS for tapers and scared the crap out of myself......how do you use the BS for tapers? freehand? or with a fence or some type of guide?

Comment

Yes, you need a BS.
                So you don't forget buy one before midnight tonight. :-)

But seriously, yes, a BS should be near the top of your shopping list.
                Without knowing what else you have in your shop I wouldn't prioritize it though.

You mentioned that you were looking at a couple used bandsaws, care to share your selections and maybe we can be of help in deciding between the two. No doubt someone on here has used or owns either of the bandsaws you are looking at and can offer feedback from an owners perspective.

tick

tick

tick

It's been three minutes, have you bought a bandsaw yet?
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Yes, you need a BS.
                  So you don't forget buy one before midnight tonight. :-)

But seriously, yes, a BS should be near the top of your shopping list.
                  Without knowing what else you have in your shop I wouldn't prioritize it though.

You mentioned that you were looking at a couple used bandsaws, care to share your selections and maybe we can be of help in deciding between the two. No doubt someone on here has used or owns either of the bandsaws you are looking at and can offer feedback from an owners perspective.

tick

tick

tick

It's been three minutes, have you bought a bandsaw yet?
                  LOL....thank you........I have included the link here to the one i think i am going to get

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/1052639435.html

.......I can pick it up for 200. They are closing a cabinet making shop. This evidently got very litte use.

I can get this and a Delta Shpmaster 16 Drill press both for 250 total....

In terms of other tools I have:
                  • 3660 table saw
                  • ridgid joiner
                  • ridgid planer
                  • Routers
                  • Router Table
                  • Miter saw
                  • Other miscellaneous power tools

Comment

If the BS and the DP are in good shape I would go for them both at $250. Even if you had to put a little money into the BS it would be worth it.

Open the doors and inspect the condition of the tires, wheels, and bearings. Check the guides too.

Go to Grizzlys site and download the manual for this model (or one very similar) and read it through. Then when you look it over you'll be somewhat familiar with it.

Do the same for the DP. Check the belts, look for play in the spindle and things that would indicate excessive wear or abuse.

And after a quick look at your list it is time for a BS.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Sounds to me like you've got a pretty well setup shop; and the BS/DP would be the last big tool's your missing aside from dust collection. If I were you, I would go for it.

Comment

thanks again guys......I think I'll pull the trigger

I guess the only other major thing I'll need would be a lathe at some point but those darn things scare me to death....LOL

Thanks again

Comment

I have two Sears 12" Bandsaws side by side.One with a 1/8 scroll blade,and one with a 1/4 " for cuts not so sharp. Wouldn`t be without them.
                          If you are asking if you need one,???,then you do.
                          Last edited by trainman37; 02-27-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I'll go along with all the previous posts on the subject. I only have a little $100 bandsaw, but I wouldn't be without it. It was one of my first purchases when I started to "buy for a future shop". I'm still not there yet, but it's getting close. I figured the little bandsaw would be a good "learning" tool and to date, I've found myself using it a lot.

For one thing, you won't find a safer cutting tool. On mine, there's no vibration and the general design is one which alleviates any type of kickback... the blade only goes one way, against a supporting table, so there are no forces that are working against you.

The bandsaw also cuts very fast, offers minimal kerf, and it's very tolerant. Sure there are a few safety measures you need to observe, afterall, it's a wood cutting tool. But, I can make some very small, precise cuts that I wouldn't dream of making on a jig saw and NEVER on a table saw or even my RAS.

It's just a very nice tool to have and I wouldn't consider any woodshop to be complete without one.

CWS

Comment

Thank you again to all who replied.

I didn't get the used deal i was hoping for but am definitely going to get a band saw shortly

Comment

Working...
                              X