X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee

Is it me or now that ITT has it's hands on Milwaukee has the quality slipped. I bought the new XC cordless 18 volt tools back in October. Since i have had the 1/2" hammer drill repaired under warranty. I just took in the sawzall with what I believe is the same issue, the switch. I purchased two 12 volt hackzall & one was bad right out of the box. Switch problem again. Been a long time fan of Milwaukee. I have a boat load of tools but my loyalty is wavering. Any one else notice this?

Re: Milwaukee

Everything being made today is being cheapened up. When I say everything I'm not just talking about tools either, I mean everything. The switch problem you described with multiple tools make me wonder if there isn't a problem with Milwaukee's switch supplier and not necessarily a drop in Milwaukee's overall quality level.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      The switch problem you described with multiple tools make me wonder if there isn't a problem with Milwaukee's switch supplier and not necessarily a drop in Milwaukee's overall quality level.
      Well that would still be Milwaukee's problem since it is there tool. Even if they don't produce their own switches they should still test switches and choose properly working ones before putting them on the market.

The issue with their overall quality since TTI became involved has been raised a few other times on this forum. There were pictures around a while ago of the inside of a Milwaukee drill and a Ridgid drill and they were identical except for the outside housing cover. Overall TTI has had issues with quality for the past few years. Why do you think they offer the LSA with Ridgid tools? Because they have to.

Comment

I think that tool makers are going compact in size and weight and therefore the materials are not the same. I would try to get my hands on the Ridgid 18 volt one hand recip saw, more power and runtime than the hacksall.

Comment

Milwaukee sux bad. My boss has a new 28 volt cordless set. I set the drill in the lock position with a fresh battery and I still stopped the chuck with my bare hand.

Comment

I too have had a problem with the trigger switch on my 18V cordless Milwaukee drill. The trigger switch fell off after about a month. The trigger switch on my corded "Hole Hawg" broke as well. I'm waiting for one more to break so I can take all three back for repair. Luckily, I still have my Dewalt cordless still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by boardboy86 View Post
              Milwaukee sux bad. My boss has a new 28 volt cordless set. I set the drill in the lock position with a fresh battery and I still stopped the chuck with my bare hand.
              Something is definitely wrong there. Grab my V28 drill with a 4 year old battery and try to stop it.

I agree Milwaukee isn't what they used to be, but I'm very happy with my V28 set. I wouldn't say Milwaukee is better than any of the other major brand tools, but I wouldn't let anyone tell me they're generally worse either.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Everything being made today is being cheapened up. When I say everything I'm not just talking about tools either, I mean everything. The switch problem you described with multiple tools make me wonder if there isn't a problem with Milwaukee's switch supplier and not necessarily a drop in Milwaukee's overall quality level.
                Yeah, Hilti and Festool are definitely much worse then a decade ago.
                Manufacturers started using neodimium magnets in motors, high-strength resins and expensive lithium formulas. Modern TVs use cheap multilayer ICs and OLED compared to "expensive" CRT tubes transistors. Technology is getting more and more expensive, and manufacturing costs plummet because of increased consumption. Companies who produced crap can't survive any more because market rejects it in favour of quality products due to increased consumer education. So the only way they can survive is produce even worse, cheaper crap. Milwaukee's V28 batteries were very expensive to make, so they switched to cheaper ones. New 18v stuff is absolute crap, I'd buy Ryobi any day over that. They feel like toys.

Cheap stuff is getting cheaper to cater to the poor, which majority of people are. Quality tools are never cheap, and manufacturers don't skimp out on materials in such case. Modern equipment is more durable due to advancement in design and materials.

Only cheap stuff is getting cheaper, not everything.

Comment

Quality overall among all brands has come down but so has price. I love using 20 year old metal tools that weigh 20 lbs, were considered investments and will never die. People demand lower cost and then get upset when they end up with lower quality. In the past a companies could make a better product but it would cost a little more and that was ok. Now you can get a 4 tool 18v combo kit for $199, sure its total garbage but people buy them up. Milwaukee and other brands loss business and are forced to reduce costs to compete.

I do think the new M18 tools are better than any of the other competitions out there at that level. So far I have seen very few problems with the XC batteries or the newer tools. We did have lots of issues with the Compact M18 batteries and drill initially but haven't seen any recently. Hopefully they fixed the problems on those.

If you want serious tools pay the extra money and get the V28s. Those have been out for a few years and have had very few problems overall. It's all a matter of price vs quality the better tools are out there but most people aren’t willing to pay for them.
                  Jay
                  Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                  Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

JAY

Do you sell any METABO corded angle grinders? How about any other corded METABO tools? I don't like their cordless at all. I also don't like their benchtop line. This is me and others may very much love them.

To me the METABO corded angle grinders are top quality. It's a shame RIDGID doesn't have the R1000 4-1/2" one that METABO used to make under contract. Then Home Depot wouldn't sell many because of the old $$$ factor.

Comment

Working...
                    X