X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with guard adjustment on compound sliding miter saw

The protection guard on the model MS1290LZA miter saw will not move up out of the way when making a cut. The guard hits the material being cut or the throat plate on the deck of the saw. All the components seem to be ok. Nothing is broken or bent. The guard moves freely by hand. Any ideas what the problem may be? Is there an adjsutment I have over looked?

Thanks,

Darrel

Re: Problem with guard adjustment on compound sliding miter saw

I am having the same issue with my 12 " sliding compound mitre saw and I have taken it apart several times now . I am wondering if this was a problem for ridgid and hense the reason for inverting the slides on the newer models . I am at this point wanting to remove it but I really don't want to do that : re safty ??????? has anyone said how to fix the problem assd of yet . I would like to hear from you if so tks

Comment

My saw did the same thing!! I ordered the black arm piece if possibly mine was bent. If it doesn't fix it, it's going on craigslist and I'm going with the Bosch 12" slider.

I used to be a big fan of Ridgid but every tool I've owned from them has had some sort of problem, My 12" miter is the last tool I have made by Ridgid and I used to have alot. I mostly have Bosch now and have had zero problems.

Comment

Old thread I know, but has anyone figured this out? After pulling the trigger my saw was hard to pull down toward the material due to how the guard is raised. Now it hardly raises at all. The guard will actually hit the table before it starts to open. Everything looks ok and not bent.

I happened to be at Home Depot yesterday and Ridgid had a huge display there and had a bunch of reps there also. I asked them about the problem and they claim to have never hear of it. We walked over to try both of the 12" sliding miters they had on display and both were very hard to lower the blade once the guard mechanism started to engage. We walked over to the Bosch 12" slider and the guard mechanism was almost totally hidden from sight and you can place one finger on the handle and lower the blade and never notice the guard mechanism activating.

I happened to have mine in the bed of my truck and two guys walked out there with me and said they saw noting wrong with the guard mechanism, yet you literally have to put two hands on it to get the blade to lower.

Very frustrating, anyone have a fix yet?

Thanks,
        Jason

Comment

Jason,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

I wish that I could help, but I don't have that particular tool. Seems ridiculous though that the Ridgid reps, who looked at it, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Frustrating!

Without seeing the tool first hand, or having the problem myself, it would be almost impossible to offer advice, but hopefully some other forum member with experience with this tool will have a resolution for you.

Have you looked to your local Service Center for assistance? Hopefully you are under warranty or have your tool registered with the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.

Good luck and again, welcome to the forum,

CWS

Comment

Sometimes a ridge will develop on the throw arm or the bearing that it rides on preventing it from operating correctly.

Comment

I too am having the exact same problem all of you are having....the saw guard will not retract enough to allow cutting of the material....mine is out of warranty (ms1290lza model)

Comment

I'm having the same issue, Guard starts to raise then stops just short of going up enough to clear material. I spoke with tech for Rigid and he suggested that it may be the white spacer that runs inside the guard arm. The Tech couriered a couple spare spacers to me and I changed out the old one. The old one was in rough shape but changing it for a new one didn't solve the problem.

Bump this to the top in hopes that someone has an idea.

Comment

Given the original date this thread was posted someone must have some insight into this problem by now!!!

Comment

It's the plastic bearing or a bent arm. Most likely the bearing. The bearing is located at the end of the arm held in place with a philips screwhead / 2 washers. I've had this problem aswell ... not a big deal really just poor a design. The bearing wears out (plastic) or becomes deformed by to much pressure from pulling down on the handle... this i know because i watched my boss one time use my 12" impropperly and it was fooked there after.
                    THE FIX ... have your local ridgid service rep replace the whole assembly arm and bearing for free, providing we all filled out our warrantees, or do what i did and replace the plastic bearing with an aluminium bearing, wasn't easy to find the proper size but ... any good fastener store should have. Make sure to grease the new bearing

ANOTHER good tip for ridgid's 12"sliding compound mitre saw users: Does your saw squeak on startup? This could be due to a loose or worn out belt. The quick fix is to remove the cover plate and spray some automotive belt dressing ... squeak be gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X