Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Impact Driver Too Slow?

Originally posted by overflow View Post
    So then my question becomes, do I stay with the Ridgid, or return it for something lighter that will have even less stress on your hand.
    Based on the specs for the R842301, it is competitive with most 18V impact drivers so perhaps you can try a different brand impact driver to see if you get similar or better performance to assist in your decision and expectations of an impact driver.

R842301 Impact Driver:
    Volts: 18 V Coupler: ΒΌ in. Hex Quick Coupler No Load Speeds: 0-2,400 r/min. (RPM)
    0-3,100 IPM
    Torque: 1,450 in.lb.

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
      So then my question becomes, do I stay with the Ridgid, or return it for something lighter that will have even less stress on your hand.
      We are a contractor and have over two years experiance with Ridgid impact drivers. We have a couple of MaxSelect 18/24s, a couple of 14.4Vs, and an 18volt that came with a Nicad set.
      Surprisingly the 14.4V impacts are the real animals. They will drive a screw while the others are just rattling around.
      The MaxSelects are worthless with 18V batts and with 24V batts are much better, however nowhere near the performance of the 14.4V impact.
      The secret would seem to be in the specs as the 14.4 impact has a much higher rpm than the MaxSelect. While I have not used the X-3 impact I would expect the performance to be similar to other Ridgid 18V impacts based on the specs.
      Tools on Line.com conducted and evaluation of impact tools a few months ago and unfortunately Ridgid came in dead last. This is unacceptable performance for a professional grade tool. We have invested considerable money into a large number or Ridgid cordless and the impact tool is probably one of our most used tools.
      We have used other brands on jobsites from other contractors. On pure speed and light weight I would agree with Tools on LIne that the Makita is very, very good.
      I know it's a bummer due to trying to keep the number of different battery and brand combinations to a minimum.
      Thats my story. I suggest you try a Makita a post the results......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        We are a contractor and have over two years experiance with Ridgid impact drivers. We have a couple of MaxSelect 18/24s, a couple of 14.4Vs, and an 18volt that came with a Nicad set.
        Surprisingly the 14.4V impacts are the real animals. They will drive a screw while the others are just rattling around.
        The MaxSelects are worthless with 18V batts and with 24V batts are much better, however nowhere near the performance of the 14.4V impact.
        The secret would seem to be in the specs as the 14.4 impact has a much higher rpm than the MaxSelect. While I have not used the X-3 impact I would expect the performance to be similar to other Ridgid 18V impacts based on the specs.
        Tools on Line.com conducted and evaluation of impact tools a few months ago and unfortunately Ridgid came in dead last. This is unacceptable performance for a professional grade tool. We have invested considerable money into a large number or Ridgid cordless and the impact tool is probably one of our most used tools.
        We have used other brands on jobsites from other contractors. On pure speed and light weight I would agree with Tools on LIne that the Makita is very, very good.
        I know it's a bummer due to trying to keep the number of different battery and brand combinations to a minimum.
        Only one point about the impact test, they used the ridgid 18 volt battery, not the 24 volt battery with better performance.

Comment

Had 4 garage doors to install after correcting the structre for some prior fire damage and my helper and I had two impact drivers, the 18v Ridgid w/1.5 ah battery and an 18v Ryobi with their then new lithium battery. We noticed that the Ryobi was noticeably a little faster at driving the lags, but the Ridgid snugged them better once the lag had to pull pieces together and continued to drive the longer lags. After driving and snugging all those lags, the Ridgid still works fine and has gone on to do other jobs, but the Ryobi is retired as it smells funny (electrical) and was beginning to perform less and less work and began to tire too quickly. Now, as Roadrash Ray has stated, I have also used other guy's tools on the job - Makita, DeWalt, etc. - and they are faster at driving also. The Ridgid is steady and carries a good warranty and hasn't weakened, but if speed is the main factor, look at them all.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            So the burning question is, why would they make the 14.4 volt impact with 2850 rpm, the 18 volt with 2400 rpm, and the 24 volt with 2100 rpm. They are going backwards! So all of this makes the 14.4 the superior tool! That sucks!

Comment

i have the 18 volt impact that came with a drill, 2batteries, and the 14.4 impact gun that came with just one battery and a hard case.

The 18 volt seems lighter to me, but it is slower, it drives well, the 14.4 volt is faster than my 18, but heavier and beefier i think.
              I would use the 14.4 is a monster. I can drive any screw or bolt that has come along with it.
              I would not trade it for anything
              the 14.4 drills and impact seems much stronger than the 18 volts. The 14.4 drill is heavier and bigger than my 18 volt drill

i think the 14,4 volt is the way to go i think
              good luck and play safe

Comment

Originally posted by stuart_canada View Post
                i have the 18 volt impact that came with a drill, 2batteries, and the 14.4 impact gun that came with just one battery and a hard case.

The 18 volt seems lighter to me, but it is slower, it drives well, the 14.4 volt is faster than my 18, but heavier and beefier i think.
                I would use the 14.4 is a monster. I can drive any screw or bolt that has come along with it.
                I would not trade it for anything
                the 14.4 drills and impact seems much stronger than the 18 volts. The 14.4 drill is heavier and bigger than my 18 volt drill

i think the 14,4 volt is the way to go i think
                good luck and play safe
                I say again, So the burning question is, why would they make the 14.4 volt impact with 2850 rpm, the 18 volt with 2400 rpm, and the 24 volt with 2100 rpm. They are going backwards! So all of this makes the 14.4 the superior tool! That sucks!

Comment

Those are no load speeds aren't they? I would think that under load the higher voltage impact's could sustain a higher rpm. Also the gear boxes are probably different so the higher voltage impacts have more lower end grunt. Could also be marketing as if the 14.4 had a different gearbox it would turn a lower rpm and possibly match the torque of the higher voltage impacts and thus there would be no reason to buy the higher voltage impacts.

Comment

So... We sold our condo and now rent in eager anticipation of building this summer. I decided to rip out the mismatch of framing around our laundry area (used to be two closests under the stairs) and drywall it to be nice to our landlord. I started 2x4 framing with the drill, then switched to the impact driver when the battery started to fatigue. Once I got use to the fact you don't have to push, I can't go back! What an amazing difference they make. Thanks to everyone that posted! I appreciated some of the experience that made me take the leap of faith to keep the thing, and now that I have had a chance to play with it, I am very happy I did. (I actually took it back and bought it with a $25 off coupon - Kit R965 for $145, a good deal) Thanks again. I also figure that once you get blood on a tool, it's yours.
                    Last edited by overflow; 03-14-2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X