X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver Too Slow?

I just bought the 18V li-ion driver (R842301) after I used my dad's 14.4v mastercraft to sink some deck screws. His MC was faster then my Ridgid 18V li-ion drill (R86006), so I bought a Ridgid impact driver. Driving 3" deck screws into double 2x4 (not predrilled), the drill is way faster - one inch ahead of the impact. (Although there is much less slip) I really don't think it is coming anywhere close to the spec'ed 2400 rpm. Has anyone else experienced this or can they verify this. I just can't see this driver getting smoked by a cheap retail knock off. Bought it because it was on sale and getting ready to build a house in May.

Re: Impact Driver Too Slow?

Which impact model did you buy?

Comment

R842301 - as stated above.
      Bought a second combo kit and did the same stuff again - same results. Did some timing today. Drill is 4 sec to sink a #10 x 3 1/2, 4.5 sec for a #12 x 4, the impact is 7 and 14 sec respectively. I did notice that you don't have to push as much, which is nice and you don't strip screws, but if you have to drop 1500 screws into a sub floor in a day, I think that the speed of the drill will out weigh the other features. Can somebody tell me I'm wrong so I can validate buying this tool? Thanks

Comment

I just bought the R965 Ridgid kit last week from HD

including
        R86006 18V Li-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver
        R842301 18V Li-Ion Impact Driver

I didn't open it yet, if the performance really not up to par, I might have to return it... Anybody have these tools that can share their experience ???

Comment

Sorry, I guess I should read closer. Anyway, that doesn't make sense at all. I have this impact as well as the new impact that comes with the X3 set and it is much faster at driving screws etc than the drill. Maybe Wartex or some other battery wiz can shed some battery light upon this, is it due to the 1.5 battery rather than the 2.5 from the x2 or the 3.0 with the x3?

Comment

All three (the two impacts and drill) where run with fully charged 3.0Ah Li-ion, and I swapped the batteries around to eliminate that factor. This doesn't make sense to me either. More input would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
              Bought a second combo kit and did the same stuff again - same results. Did some timing today. Drill is 4 sec to sink a #10 x 3 1/2, 4.5 sec for a #12 x 4, the impact is 7 and 14 sec respectively. I did notice that you don't have to push as much, which is nice and you don't strip screws, but if you have to drop 1500 screws into a sub floor in a day, I think that the speed of the drill will out weigh the other features. Can somebody tell me I'm wrong so I can validate buying this tool? Thanks
              IMO the impact driver makes the job easier on the arm, little-to-no screw head damage, little-to-no slipping=no accidental damage thus it makes the impact tool worth it.
              Your data with speed-timing is believable but it could have different results with different materials, screws/bolts or projects

I use the PS40 or 18V impact drivers exclusively for screw/bolts and even use them at low speed for pilot holes
              Last edited by reConx; 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

the drill and impact driver are 2 totally different designs and applications.

the drill is great for drilling and driving small diameter screws. the drill typically has a gear box / high low and variable speed.

sure if you can keep the bit in the head of the screw, the overall speed will out run an impact driver. but the effort and control it takes is not worth it. when the fastner gets tight, the bit will slip and the drill will torque.

an impact can be controlled with 1 hand. no slipping, slow and steady. the torque will out drive any drill. remember that max speed is based on rpm's under no load free wheeling. once a little torque is encountered, the impact goes into impact mode, slow and steady

i've pretty much phased out drills and switched over to impacts. now with 1/4'' drive drill bits and a 1/4'' chuck adapter, it's got the best of both worlds.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                  Couldn't a properly set clutch on a drill take care or your slipping concerns? "when the fastner gets tight, the bit will slip and the drill will torque."
                  I guess the square Robertson drive screws are better for not slipping.

Actually does the slipping clutch not have the same kind of impact performance as an impact driver? I haven't really tried to use the clutch as an impact driver, because I simply use it as an indication of sufficient tightness and then stop the drill.

Comment

I just bought the 18V li-ion driver (R842301) after I used my dad's 14.4v mastercraft to sink some deck screws. His MC was faster then my Ridgid 18V li-ion drill (R86006), so I bought a Ridgid impact driver. Driving 3" deck screws into double 2x4 (not predrilled), the drill is way faster - one inch ahead of the impact. (Although there is much less slip) I really don't think it is coming anywhere close to the spec'ed 2400 rpm. Has anyone else experienced this or can they verify this. I just can't see this driver getting smoked by a cheap retail knock off. Bought it because it was on sale and getting ready to build a house in May.
                    The impact driver is not a drill. All of my cordless drills from my 12v Dewalt to my 19.2v Craftsman will drive screws faster than my Rigid cordless driver. They also are prone to stripping the screw heads and overheating. This is where the driver excels. I have yet to feel the driver heat up in my hands like an overworked drill. I built a deck using my cordless drills and half of the screws can't be backed out with my cordless drills due to the heads being partly stripped and debris packed into the heads. My Rigid driver backs them out - no problem. The hammer action drives the screwdriver bit down into the screw heads.

The point is using the right tool for the right job. If you want to drive screws without overheating your tool or stripping the heads - use a driver. If you want to drive them fast without regard to screw damage - use a drill. I love the way my driver can drive 3 1/2" screws and back them out again and I can put the screws back into the box for use again at another time. When I use a drill, the screws are garbage at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Handidad View Post
                      Rick,
                      Couldn't a properly set clutch on a drill take care or your slipping concerns? "when the fastner gets tight, the bit will slip and the drill will torque."

the nclutch will slip and then it won't tighten until you adjust to a higher clutch setting.
                      I guess the square Robertson drive screws are better for not slipping.

Actually does the slipping clutch not have the same kind of impact performance as an impact driver? I haven't really tried to use the clutch as an impact driver, because I simply use it as an indication of sufficient tightness and then stop the drill.
                      all the clutch is there to do is stop/ slip after a certain torque. there is no impact with a clutch.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        all the clutch is there to do is stop/ slip after a certain torque. there is no impact with a clutch.

rick.

Rick,

I think that Handidad does what a lot of us do once we set the clutch on the drill - we continue to rattle the screw to get a little extra movement to set it. When doing cabinet work, I set the clutch "light" and rattle to the depth that I want to ensure an even and tight fit without using the screw as a drill bit. I think that this is the effect that he is talking about, but is totally different from the process you get from the impact driver. As you mentioned, the clutch "stop/slip" action is only associated with the drill action as the impact has no clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
                          The impact driver is not a drill. All of my cordless drills from my 12v Dewalt to my 19.2v Craftsman will drive screws faster than my Rigid cordless driver....

The point is using the right tool for the right job. If you want to drive screws without overheating your tool or stripping the heads - use a driver. If you want to drive them fast without regard to screw damage - use a drill. I love the way my driver can drive 3 1/2" screws and back them out again and I can put the screws back into the box for use again at another time. When I use a drill, the screws are garbage at this point.
                          So then my question becomes, do I stay with the Ridgid, or return it for something lighter that will have even less stress on your hand.

Comment

So then my question becomes, do I stay with the Ridgid, or return it for something lighter that will have even less stress on your hand.
                            Can u buy the 18 volt separately?

Comment

You can find anything on ebay! - except warrenties. No, I don't think you can puchase just the 18V impact driver, but I think you can get the 18/24 select model. I already have two ridgid 18v li drills, so this kit was bought more for the impact driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X