Rigid R4330 VS Dewalt 735

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid R4330 VS Dewalt 735

I am considering on getting a benchtop planer. The two that I am looking at are the Rigid R4330 versis the Dewalt 735. The reviews I have seen have been on the older R4330 that has the 2 posts and not the newer 4 posts one and I have not found any revies on the new 4 post one. So I am looking for any input that anyone out there could give me on the two planers?

Re: Rigid R4330 VS Dewalt 735

I couldn't be more happier than I am with my DW735. It is easily the best benchtop planer out there. If you can find one for $550 or under than I'd recommend you choose it over any other benchtop unit. If you have to pay more than that then I'd recommend you consider spending a couple hundred more and check out some free standing unit. I've no experience with the Ridgid so I really can't comment on it.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I don't own a planer yet, but from what I have read in professional reviews and from lots of posts on this forum, I think the Dewalt is a much better choice of the two. I keep reading where getting parts for the Ridgid is a real pain at best and also about crazy problems with it. On the other hand people that own and use the Dewalt DW735 seem to really like it.

If for nothing else, you can get parts and service for Dewalt and they have service centers all over the USA. My bet is they have several service centers up in Canada too. I haven't checked for service centers other than the USA however.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I couldn't be more happier than I am with my DW735. It is easily the best benchtop planer out there. If you can find one for $550 or under than I'd recommend you choose it over any other benchtop unit. If you have to pay more than that then I'd recommend you consider spending a couple hundred more and check out some free standing unit. I've no experience with the Ridgid so I really can't comment on it.
        Thank you for you comment on the DW735, it is sounding alot better than the Rigid R4330.
        I just have a couple more questions for you.
        1. I had someone tell me that the number 2 on the front is for doing your initial cuts and the number 1 is for cutting hard wood and doing your finishing cutting, which he said is so smooth and fine a finish that he dose not have to sand it.
        2. He also said that it has a powerful chip blower in it that you do not need to hook anything to it except a hose that goes to a 30 gallon trash can to blow the chips and sawdust into.
        3. He also said that the blades dull very fast on it.
        Are these true what he said?
        If number 3 is true, do they make carbide blades for it or is it not practical because wood dulls the blades so fast?
        I was able to find the DW735 at Home Depot for 549.95.

Comment

Ive heard those same 3 things. 1 is just the two speed setup, I believe the slower speed gives you a finer finish. But Ive also read that two speed doesnt automatically mean better, for example the DeWalt 734 is supposed to have a very good finish, requiring only small amounts of sanding.

2. is true from every review and opinion Ive read.

3. not necessarily...........some people say they dull fast, other say no.

I purchased the Dewalt 734 (the cheaper model below the 735) on "clearance" from Lowes. I would have loved the 735 but couldnt justify the expense. Also remember the 735 does NOT have a manual locking cutterhead which a lot of people think its a disadvantage.

Comment

If you decide to go with the DeWalt DW735, the DW7351 Infeed/Outfeed tables are almost a must buy. With these tables you'll obtain pretty much snipe free results. Without them, not so much. Or, you could build your own infeed/outfeed system but bottom line is with almost any planer you need infeed/outfeed support.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

1. True
              2. True. You can use a 30 can and the included chip ejector fan does a good job. I have mine connected to my shop DC only so I don't have to deal with emptying the can all the time.
              3. False for me. I have run many BF of oak, walnut, popular and other woods through my planer and the blades have held up very well. I am thinking that it is about time for me to replace them, and I'm not crying, it's been better than two years since I put new blades in.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks for all your opinions about the two planers. After reading reviews, what people have told me at work that use the DW735 and all the reviews about the two, I decided to go with the DW735. Even though the DW735 was a $150.00 more, I feel that I have gotten the better deal of the two. So thanks for everything and have a wonderful day you all!!!

Comment

Working...
                X