X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Worm Drive framing saw

Of all the worm drive saws I have tried the Rigid and the Skil feel the best. I would really appreciate some feedback concerning a comparison of these two. I am newly retired and we have two homes that we are going to completely remodel from the ground up so longevity is my main concern. Thanks

Re: Ridgid Worm Drive framing saw

Have you tried looking at and picking up the Bosch 1677M or if you like one that lets you use an extension cord as the power cord the 1677MD?

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...aspx?catid=533

It seems the Bosch always get great reviews. If I were to pick Skil or Ridgid, I would go with a Skill SHD-77M (less weight) or SHD-77 over Ridgid anytime.

http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...lt.html?cid=45

Both the Bosch and Skil are time tested. Actually Bosch and Skil merged some time ago, but in this case, the Bosch has some nicer features. I would look at Bosch long and hard if you can.

Comment

I am sure both are excellent saws, I have always used the Skill 77 but that was what was avable to me, as we have only had Home Depot in our area now for a few years,

but I would think that both saws will easily out last the project, my old skill is now pushing 30+ years old, and I worked in remodeling and new construction, (basally as a one man operation for about 20 years),

the skill has been the industry standard on worm drive saws for many many years, guessing 40 to 50 years now, but I would not at all be afraid of the Ridgid tools if you like the feel and the features of the tool,

I would venture to guess, I do not care who tools you buy to day they will not last like the commercial tools of years past, first of all you try to get parts for a name brand tool in ten or fifteen years and most likely you will be told that tool is obsolete. no parts to be found.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My HD was out of Bosch framing saws so I did not get a chance to handle that one. I am not in a hurry to purchase one so I can still shop around. I will give it a try. Magnesium is lighter but is it as strong as steel? I will not be lugging the saw around for hours at a time so a little extra weight probably won't matter that much and hopefully I won't be spending much time in the rafters. Thanks guys.

Comment

My Lowes has two of the Skil worm drive saws on clearance. I believe they were down close to $100.

Comment

If you want to save some $$$ on an old tried and proven workhorse, you might take a look at this deal.
            You can take the saved $$$ and get another good blade or two.

http://www.toolking.com/products/219...oglebase=HD77R

By the way this is the tried and proven model and not the newest version.
            I can't see where getting this would take you wrong unless you happened to get a
            defective one in which case this is a well regarded dealer that I'm sure would make things right.

Now if Lowes does have them new in the box for only $100, that's the way to go. I'm going to
            take a look at Lowes in my area. That's just too good a deal to pass over.
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Ray

Which Lowes? Where are you located?

Comment

I searched online for Lowes in my area and only one location out of many has any SKIL worm drive saws. They have the newer SHD77M with magnesium base and it is on sale for $169 and it would be better to order it delivered than going on a wild hunt. That is still way higher than $100.

I noted that Lowes was selling the Bosch too, but it has been closed out. None can be ordered online and in my area no stores stock it anymore. I bet Lowes is trying to close out the serious tools and replace them with Chinese crap that sells better as their customers normally want cheapo stuff.
                Last edited by Woussko; 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I noticed that the new skil 77's are made in China!

You can find an older skil 77 on ebay or local craigslist for cheap. Those saws don't die...

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                    I noticed that the new skil 77's are made in China!

You can find an older skil 77 on ebay or local craigslist for cheap. Those saws don't die...

Try if you can to find new old stock of the SKIL HD77 with no prefix or suffix. Just HD77.
                    That is the old workhorse model.

Newman, What isn't made over in China anymore? Not much other than hand crafted items it seems.
                    The Simpson Electric Co. still makes things here and they are owned and operated by true Americans.
                    Native ones at that!!! N A I

OK, I best say this before I get blasted. There are still full USA makers of hand tools and some still use
                    USA steel from our steel mills. I say GOOD FOR THEM. Real Americans and not traitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X