X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now hate my Autoshift drill

I got a Ridgid combo kit this last Christmas. Until last week, I was liking the autoshift drill.

Here is what happened: I was in the attic (very small, cramped space), drilling 1" holes (with a Ridgid self feeding auger) in the top plates of kitchen walls to pull new circuits for the remodel we are in the middle of. The bit caught something (nail, knot,...) and twisted the drill in my hand and pinned my hand between the drill handle and a truss. The bad part was the drill completely shut down, it would not reverse to unpin my hand. I checked the battery, it had not been knocked loose. So there I was, pinned to a truss in my attic with a drill that would not reverse. I have noticed in the past that when the battery starts to get a little low, the drill just stops, forcing a battery change. I suspect that Ridgid has included circuitry in the drill to protect the battery from being over drained (#1 reason for battery failure), and in theory, extending battery life. But in this case, it put me in a bad situation. It would be nice if it would had let me reverse the drill a couple rotations to release the bit.

I am so mad, I want to return the set - but my wife purchased it on 12/2 and we a re past our 90 day satisfaction grace period -
    The one thing I can make without fail, everytime, is a mess.

Re: I now hate my Autoshift drill

We kind of wondered about the Auto Shift when it first came out. We looked at one in a store and noticed a couple of things. You can only start the dill on high speed and it has to shift down to low speed. It also looked like you couldn't control the drill manually and if it geared down you ahd to release the trigger to get it back in high gear. I imagine one or more of these issues is what contributed to your bad experience.

Comment

When this drill first came out there was debate as to whether the auto-shift was a good feature or not. Some stated they wanted control over the speed, almost no one thought the drill was a good idea in the first place. I don't think I would ever buy one.

Comment

They should leave it with the Ryobi brand as a niche item and discontinue it from there line. However I saw a endcap at homedepot that featured both brands, something up to this point was unheard of. They have always tried to keep the brands apart at home depot.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, this autoshift drill idea was dead before it hit the store shelves.

See what happens when you take a perfectly good drill and add another option that's gonna break or cause you hassle??

Yeesh.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Murphy's Law went into effect big time.

Always follow the old K I S S rule. K I S S = Keep it simple, stupid!

Maybe you can sell just the bare drill on eBay and keep the rest of the kit. Then look for another model bare drill that uses the same battery.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Battery-...s/EN/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
              As far as I'm concerned, this autoshift drill idea was dead before it hit the store shelves.

See what happens when you take a perfectly good drill and add another option that's gonna break or cause you hassle??

Yeesh.
              Things always end up this way when you try to idiot proof stuff!!!!

Comment

As an alternate opinion, I really like mine. It is strong and performs well. If there is a problem with it locking down, then simply adjust drill option and use the clutch. Every item has its positives and negatives and this drill is just like that. Maybe its not for everyone but I like mine a lot. I have even bought another since I have purchased the first one.

Comment

Working...
                X