Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

    Ok, I'm going to rant a smidge, becuase I'm not very happy right now.

    I have a ridgid 18v compact lithium ion cordless drill I bought last fall. I think the model number was something like 86006 or something simiar. Well the batteries both dies on me in early december, last year. I brought the whole kit to the service center (Raw Power in Fairfield NJ) and was told that the batteries were bad and the charger was probably the root reason. ok, cool whatever. That was on December 16. I've called back a few times and been told that the charger is on back-order, nationwide. I was even told to stop calling after the first two months went by, they'd call me when it was ready. I called Ridgid customer service about the charger was told by a person of dubious intelligence that they were NOT on backorder, but I'm still getting a different story from the repair center.

    does anyone here know anything about chargers bieng on national back order?

    I've been without use of the drill for three months now, and I'm pretty much fed-up. What I'd really like is some contact info at Ridgid who can help me and sound like there are more than two cells of gray matter rattling about upstairs.

  • #2
    Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

    On order nationwide eh? Don't know about that. I see plenty on store shelves where I live. Few things you can do - you may want to ask when they sent it in for repairs and what service order number they got so you can personnally check on it yourself, get it back from service center and go to another, get in contact with someone of higher intelligence at Ridgid maybe a manager and see what they can do for you, maybe have them call the service center direct. Some posters in this forum with similiar problems have gotten things resolved eventually. It can be frustrating.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

      WOW! Can't say I am surprised though. You aren't nearly the first to have this sort of issue and won't be the last. How can a company that produces cordless tools for the largest power tool seller in the country not be able to provide a customer with a charger? I realize this might be a service center issue but even if it is, it is still a Ridgid issue. The service center is representing Ridgid in the eyes of the customer and is the first resource for the customer. Just goes to show that authorized service centers aren't always worth a danm. We stopped buying Ridgid in main part because of this. We deal with the local DeWalt service center and have yet to have a bad experience, but don't have to get as much serviced either. The LSA that they offer is only as good as the help they offer to back it up and in a lot of cases they do a very poor job of this.

      I would call the service center and tell them to figure it out and then I would give Ridgid an ear full and tell them they need to get their service centers on the same page. Good Luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

        Originally posted by lurch View Post
        WOW! Can't say I am surprised though. You aren't nearly the first to have this sort of issue and won't be the last. How can a company that produces cordless tools for the largest power tool seller in the country not be able to provide a customer with a charger? I realize this might be a service center issue but even if it is, it is still a Ridgid issue. The service center is representing Ridgid in the eyes of the customer and is the first resource for the customer. Just goes to show that authorized service centers aren't always worth a danm. We stopped buying Ridgid in main part because of this. We deal with the local DeWalt service center and have yet to have a bad experience, but don't have to get as much serviced either. The LSA that they offer is only as good as the help they offer to back it up and in a lot of cases they do a very poor job of this.

        I would call the service center and tell them to figure it out and then I would give Ridgid an ear full and tell them they need to get their service centers on the same page. Good Luck!
        you know, I went out and bought a Ridgid drill to give the new brand a chance after the batteries in my 18V dewalt gave out after (only) 5 years of abuse. I now kinda regret not getting another Dewalt. The only reason I shied away from them is becuase they only seem to make monster drills with all sorts of bells and whistles for $300.

        <Sigh> I still have my 14.4 Dewalt hammerdrill (does anyone here remember when Dewalt Cordless Drills were black and sold a B&D Heavy Duty?) and the thing still kicks. I also miss when DeWalt had real walk-in service centers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

          Originally posted by sundowner View Post
          ... I also miss when DeWalt had real walk-in service centers.

          What do you mean? I have a local Dewalt owned service center that i can walk-in and get quick service anytime.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

            Originally posted by sundowner View Post
            y I still have my 14.4 Dewalt hammerdrill (does anyone here remember when Dewalt Cordless Drills were black and sold a B&D Heavy Duty?) and the thing still kicks. I also miss when DeWalt had real walk-in service centers.
            I think you mean it was silver and black. It wore the name of either Black & Decker Industrial, or it was mostly dark gray and wore the name Black & Decker Tradesman on it. I have a nice 3/8 corded Black & Decker Tradesman drill that has to be 25+ years old and it works great today. I didn't use it that much having another similar drill and I try to take good care of my tools too. That was in the days before B & D took over the DeWalt name. DeWalt was known for quality radial arm saws back then and didn't make any hand held tools.

            By the way I bet you can find a DeWalt 14.4 Volt battery that will fit it. If not and you have a good case places such as Batteries Plus can open the case and install new Ni-Cad cells in it and then close it up and glue it as needed. This normally costs less than a new whole battery would. If you have it reconditioned be sure they use 1 hour fast charge cells and use 12 and not 11 of them.
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

              sundowner,

              Please PM me your contact information. I'll have someone get in touch with you on this issue. I've passed it on to the service director to look into the service center issue as well.

              Thanks for your post.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

                This lack of availability of parts to fix LLSA problems is becoming an all to often used reason for long repair times. At first I thought it was simply an excuse offered by the individual service centers to cover their own failings. However, way too many customers are being given this reason as the cause of the delay in fixing their tools. It also seems that this reason is being given all over the country and not just at one or two service centers. Unless this reoccurring problem is solved, the Ridgid LLSA will soon become a negative selling point instead of a positive. It's looking more and more like maybe the service centers have been getting a bad rap on this issue and the blame could lie elsewhere.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ridgid 18v cordless drill: royally PO'd

                  Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  This lack of availability of parts to fix LLSA problems is becoming an all to often used reason for long repair times. At first I thought it was simply an excuse offered by the individual service centers to cover their own failings. However, way too many customers are being given this reason as the cause of the delay in fixing their tools. It also seems that this reason is being given all over the country and not just at one or two service centers. Unless this reoccurring problem is solved, the Ridgid LLSA will soon become a negative selling point instead of a positive. It's looking more and more like maybe the service centers have been getting a bad rap on this issue and the blame could lie elsewhere.
                  I agree. I have heard so many horror stories from all over that I don't think this is just a service center issue. The service center that was local to me shut down so I will have to drive an hour to get to my closest one. For these reasons I quit registering for the LSA. Most of my Ridgid tools I buy on clearance so I figure if they last a while I got my moneys worth. I am only a serious DIYer so I don't abuse my tools and use them like a contractor would.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X