Sliding Compound Miter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding Compound Miter

I have the sliding compound miter, and I've been singing praises about it ever since I got it a few months back. Well my partner just got one too, because he liked using mine. It seems that over the course of just a few months, my table takes a lot more umph for lack of a better word to swing around than his. Also it seems that the spring mechanism which makes the actual saw retract back upwards is sticking and either retracts very slowly or not at all by itself. After using his, mine sucks now. Can this be either lubed or can the spring be tightened some how? Can the table (miter) be adjusted to swing from side to side easier?We're trimming out a 44 unit building, and working side by side everyday just makes me envious of how smoothly his operates compared to mine.

Re: Sliding Compound Miter

Obvious question but do you ever clean out the sawdust buildup on your saw with some compressed air?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

To Badger's point, sawdust can build up. If you'll PM me your contact info, I can have someone give you a call to dive deeper on the issue. Thanks.

Comment

That Ridgid is one heavy saw. My DeWalt weighs 53 lbs. and the Ridgid comes in at 70 lbs. It's a saw that once set up pretty much stays where it is till the job's done.

Comment

Yeah I spray it off at lunch and at the end of the day every day. Every little bit. I even open the belt housing and spray that out once a week or so. Its just frustrating to have to fight it all day.

Comment

Being as meticulous as you are with cleaning your saw then obviously something else is wrong. I had that same kind of trouble with the table on a Craftsman miter saw once and they ended up giving me another one. I still think your problem is sawdust related which unfortunately might be caused by the design of the saw itself. Maybe one of the Ridgid Service Centers in FL has seen this problem before and can offer you some advice.
            ================================================== ====
            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Well I appreciate the advice. I guess someone is supposed to contact me about looking into it. I sure hope so, because I do love the saw. Anyways, thanks again.

Comment

Hey ... I got an Idea!

Just switch saws when your partner aint lookin!

Dave

Comment

If you have the saw bolted / mounted to a stand, take a
                  look under the saw between the saw and the stand.
                  I thought my table was seizing up awhile back and here it
                  was just an accumulation of wood chips and shavings collecting and
                  wedging in the area between the saw table and the stand.

I unbolted the saw from the stand and cleaned that area out and it
                  was good as new.

Dave
                  Last edited by Davet; 03-14-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I'll give it a look on Monday. Also about the last comment, the thought did cross my mind!

Comment

Jess I had the same problem with my saw, it felt like the table was binding. I just lubed mine up and it went back to its original operating smoothness. I find that even blowing them out doesnt get all the really small micro dust that gets in the cracks. Try lubing it. Make sure to lube the mitre pivot as well as the same thing will occur there as well especially if you will be working with alot of MDF mouldings.

Bill

Comment

What do you lube it with? I'm just afraid of using something that's going to attract and collect more dust.

Comment

according to the owner's manual it says to apply automotive oil to the slide bars.

Comment

Thanks. I would have referred to that had I known where it was! : )

Comment

I actually use air tool oil as it will not cause the breakdown of any rubber parts it comes in contact with. Dust is just a fact of life with saws and trying to get a dry lube down around the platter of a 1290 is a major PITA so I perfer oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X