Sliding Compound Miter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sliding Compound Miter

Had a simmalr problem on the 13 of March (go figure, Friday the 13).. was trimming out a floor job and returned to saw and instally the saw was hard to turn tried cleaning and working it back and forth, only to have it totally lock up. call tech they sugessted the sawdust. and to take it apart to clean. but after eigth hours of missing with it. I have had to take it in to HD to send out for repair. will post findings

Comment

Taking a 1290 apart is not for the faint of heart. I tried for hours to get the platter off ending only in failure. So I went with the lube and over applied it around the perimeter of the platter and let it work its way down after a few hours I was able to move it a little and kept lubing it and working ituntil it was freed up completely. Now when I feel the least little resistance when turning the saw I lube it right away so the same problem doesnt arise again.

Comment

Believe it or not, on a lot of "mountable" sliding compound miter saws, the act of "mounting or bolting" it to any surface can warp the table of the saw and put the entire sliding mechanism out of kilter. If you remove the saw and re-mount each day and possible to the same mounting surface that has been moved each day this problem multiplies. I personally have a DeWalt sliding compound saw and a DeWalt stand that utilizes the mounts you leave on the saw. BUT- each time I place the mounts on the stand I don't force the mounts to lock in place. I level my stand first and then look to see if the mounts will just sort of fall into place. This was taught to me by an older trim carpenter who used just an older miter-type saw doing trim and discovered why his trim would not cut just right. Maybe this will help. Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
          according to the owner's manual it says to apply automotive oil to the slide bars.
          UPDATE. So ProBrand said he would have someone contact me about this which never happened. So I went into WoodCraft ( a store) and found this stuff called PG2000. Amazing. I just blew off the saw with an air hose, Sprayed all the moving parts and let it sit for about an hour. It works better than it did out of the box. This spray also doesn't attract dust, so I didnt have a bunch of gunked up saw dust at the end of the day. Heres a link to their site.

http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/PG2000-wood.html

Comment

Jess,

I am sorry. I don't know what happened but I didn't do a good job on following up with someone contacting you. I am glad you got your saw working.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Comment

I was just busting your chops. Anyway, I love my saw, and love it even more now that its functioning at 110%!

Comment

Working...
              X