• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why a Hilti?

Liechtenstein

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      So you could have some justification for some comfortable boots.

J.C.
      Dang,
      reverse psychology.Nothing to play.I fold.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Dang,
        reverse psychology.Nothing to play.I fold.
        What is this "Reverse Psychology" you speak of?

Is it like Rick's "Reverse Auger"?

I feel so ignorant.

J.C.

Comment

Scott K. I don't know "Why a Hilti?"

J.C.

Comment

My TE-17 is from the late 70s, and it is still going. Is starting to show its age but that is mostly my fault for loaning it out to people who don't respect tools, especially those that belong to others. They have been crossed off my list as eligible for tool loans. The metal box is beat up pretty good but its done its job of protecting the tool. I don't think a plastic box would have lasted over 30 years.

Luckily the Hilti is tough enough to stand up to their abuse. I had one a$$hole who actually cut the ground prong off the power cord. I bought a new cord and sent him the bill. When I got the money, I told him don't bother calling to borrow any more tools, you're cut off.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have a Hilti TE76 that I just love. I have been in the trades for 16 or so years now, and I have never found a hammerdrill that will spin a 6 inch hole through concrete faster than a Hilti will. Not to mention that Hilti has service reps all over the place, so if something goes wrong it gets taken care of instead of having to send it in to Lord knows where or toss it out because its unfixable junk. A Hilti will last forever, it may need some servicing, but at least that servicing is available.

I also have a bosch 12223 VSR that is nice for running small holes in concrete.

Jeff

Comment

Red Wing 953 boots
                http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1061

As for the "Why A Hilti", PIETTE has the right idea. They work, work long and hard and they do have service for their tools.

Comment

I've found that besides careless people, the worst thing that can affect a hammer drill is concrete dust. Hilti seems to have the seals and the technology to keep most of the dust out of the critical areas. I've been in jobs where we were using TE-15's 8 - 10 hours a day for days on end without a problem. When I did have a problem, the Hilti rep. handed me a loaner while mine was in for service. Hilti picked up the tab for shipping and for the loaner. Unbeatable Service! I don't have my original TE-15, from 18 years ago, my brother has it and won't give it up. I now only need a hammer drill for ocasional drilling, but I am still leaning towards another Hilti. It seems that I can buy a demo from the Hilti guy for a great price. Bosch is a good tool, but it's not a Hilti. Bosch also won't show up to my job site if I call with a problem.

Mick

Comment

I own a Hilti TE-70 rotary hammer. WHY? DUH! I am a tool snob. Only the best for me. In my mind, part of being the best plumber in town is having the best tools in town.
                    Ridgid wrenches, drain machines, seesnakes, etc.
                    Hilti hammerdrill,
                    Milwaukee holehawg, sawzall, circular saw, etc... the best name tools for the job.

So I guess for me it is partly image. But mostly I just like knowing I have some really nice tools to rely on.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

There are better rotary hammers for less money. Hiliti used to be the market leader, but that was in the past.

Hilti service is no better than any other tool company that has service centers from my experience.

If paying more makes it better then spend away our economy needs you.

Comment

Originally posted by workerbob View Post
                        There are better rotary hammers for less money.
                        Yes all other rotary hammers will be less money in initial cost, better? Not all that sure about that. I've tried others and yes, some of them were very good, but they didn't stand up over time and didn't stand up to the abuse of concrete dust. What are the better rotary hammers?
                        Hilti used to be the market leader, but that was in the past.
                        Hilti might not sell the most rotary hammers, but I could care less about that. I want a quality tool that will last. A tool that's not in the repair shop, is a tool that pays for itself.
                        Hilti service is no better than any other tool company that has service centers from my experience.
                        The last time that I called Hilti was typical of my dealings with them over the past 22 years. I misplaced my rep's phone number. I called Hilti to get in touch with my rep. My rep called me within 10 minutes. He spoke to me for about three or four minutes to answer my question. Then inside of 45 minutes he was on my job site to make sure that everything went the way that it was supposed to. I've never had a Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, or a Hitachi rep ever show up at a job site to show me new products, answer questions about applications, or even return a simple phone call in less than 72 hours. Some only called back after multiple calls. Service equal to Hilti’s Not with my experiences. Your experiences might be different than mine, but for me, my Hilti rep works with me and is there when I need or call him.

If paying more makes it better then spend away our economy needs you.
                        I
                        don't have a problem paying a little extra for quality, and for service. My clients think the same way that I do, I'm not the least expensive by a long shot, but my quality is also way out in front of all of my competitors, I make sure of it. I don't know what your philosophy is with installation, and service, but I only have time to do the job the first time, properly. I don't have the time to make extra trips because a tool fails when I need it. And to me, that's less expensive for me in the long run.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
                          Yes all other rotary hammers will be less money in initial cost, better? Not all that sure about that. I've tried others and yes, some of them were very good, but they didn't stand up over time and didn't stand up to the abuse of concrete dust. What are the better rotary hammers?
                          No hammers I have used last indefinitely, Hilti or otherwise. When you pay to get them serviced, yes they last longer.

I have been using Makita's new HR4010c as my hammer recently. It outperforms the Hilti TE-76 that I have and has'nt had any problems so far. The Makita has a true anti vibration system and it drills through concrete faster than any other hammer I have owned.

What new hammers have you tested or tried?

Hilti might not sell the most rotary hammers, but I could care less about that. I want a quality tool that will last. A tool that's not in the repair shop, is a tool that pays for itself.
                          I was saying that Hilti used to sell the most and is still regarded by many to be the best hammer available.

When you get Hilti hammers serviced they last a long time, but when you take care of a tool it usually lasts longer. With my Makita there is a Factory service center that I can drop off the tool at to get serviced or repaired.

The last time that I called Hilti was typical of my dealings with them over the past 22 years. I misplaced my rep's phone number. I called Hilti to get in touch with my rep. My rep called me within 10 minutes. He spoke to me for about three or four minutes to answer my question. Then inside of 45 minutes he was on my job site to make sure that everything went the way that it was supposed to. I've never had a Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, or a Hitachi rep ever show up at a job site to show me new products, answer questions about applications, or even return a simple phone call in less than 72 hours. Some only called back after multiple calls. Service equal to Hilti’s Not with my experiences. Your experiences might be different than mine, but for me, my Hilti rep works with me and is there when I need or call him.
                          The way Hilti, as a company, is setup makes this possible. Since Hilti sells directly to us, the worker. If you use Bosch, Makita, or Dewalt hammers you probably purchased it from a tool house. The tool houses have sales people that you deal with and should be the one calling on you if there is a problem...just like Hilti. You can also contact the sales reps for the bigger tool companies if you try.

I don't have a problem paying a little extra for quality, and for service. My clients think the same way that I do, I'm not the least expensive by a long shot, but my quality is also way out in front of all of my competitors, I make sure of it. I don't know what your philosophy is with installation, and service, but I only have time to do the job the first time, properly. I don't have the time to make extra trips because a tool fails when I need it. And to me, that's less expensive for me in the long run.
                          Hiliti has a good reputation for quality tools, but you must weigh what is available, in my opinion. Hilti sells all types of tools and to say they are all the best is far from true.

I'm agree that Hilti has a good reputation, but unless you have tried other tools, recently, how would you know what else is out there?

Comment

No hammers I have used last indefinitely, Hilti or otherwise. When you pay to get them serviced, yes they last longer.

I have been using Makita's new HR4010c as my hammer recently. It outperforms the Hilti TE-76 that I have and has'nt had any problems so far. The Makita has a true anti vibration system and it drills through concrete faster than any other hammer I have owned.

I was saying that Hilti used to sell the most and is still regarded by many to be the best hammer available.

When you get Hilti hammers serviced they last a long time, but when you take care of a tool it usually lasts longer. With my Makita there is a Factory service center that I can drop off the tool at to get serviced or repaired.

The way Hilti, as a company, is setup makes this possible. Since Hilti sells directly to us, the worker. If you use Bosch, Makita, or Dewalt hammers you probably purchased it from a tool house. The tool houses have sales people that you deal with and should be the one calling on you if there is a problem...just like Hilti. You can also contact the sales reps for the bigger tool companies if you try.

Hiliti has a good reputation for quality tools, but you must weigh what is available, in my opinion. Hilti sells all types of tools and to say they are all the best is far from true.

I'm agree that Hilti has a good reputation, but unless you have tried other tools, recently, how would you know what else is out there?
                            I think you both present good points to support your opinions. The question of "Why a Hilti" has been answered by many here who either own or used Hilti long enough to appreciate the design, strength, durability and service. I agree that new tools are constantly being offered and possibly after a few years of proven use in the field this same question will be asked of Makita or some other brand that has out lasted and outperformed Hilti. I think there is a market for all these different brands and models, from the tradesman who has a need for a hammerdrill that will stand up to daily heavy use to the homeowner who will use such a tool rarely.

Comment

Makita has come a long way in the past few years with their AVT (Anti-Vibration Technology). I do like their other tools that have it. I must admit that I haven't tried anything except the Hilti TE-60 ATC (with ATC). One of the factors that I have to deal with is that being in a smaller market, our tool houses only have in store salespeople, no outside reps, and no demo tools available for us to try on-site. I have tried the TE-70 also, but preferred the TE-60 because of the ATC. Even the rental housess only have the Hilti tools, or very old models of other tools without AVT, so I can't try others brands or models there either.

When you get Hilti hammers serviced they last a long time, but when you take care of a tool it usually lasts longer.
                              Understood, and agreed. The best thing that you can do for your tools is to lube them before use. Most people don't even do that simple, quick service.

With my Makita there is a Factory service center that I can drop off the tool at to get serviced or repaired.
                              The only service center that we have (again in our smaller market) services all of the brands. They do excellent work. The problem is that because the do service for everybody, they can take from a week to 10 days for service work. I have a hard time owning a tool, then having to rent a comprable tool because mine is in the shop being serviced. Hilti does provide me with a 'demo' tool if I need one while mine is in the shop.

Like I said in my previous post, I have tried to contact tool reps from other brands. Some have called back, some have not even after multiple calls to them. Some have taken up to a week to call me back. Even with calls from the tool houses to have the reps call me. No one has returned calls in less than 72 hours, except for Hilti.

Again WorkerBob, I agree with you. I would love to try the HR4010c. But up here, I would have to purchase it to try it. I'll have to think long and hard for that, but I will think about it. Thanks for you insight.

Mick

Comment

I don't have a problem paying a little extra for quality, and for service. My clients think the same way that I do, I'm not the least expensive by a long shot, but my quality is also way out in front of all of my competitors, I make sure of it. I don't know what your philosophy is with installation, and service, but I only have time to do the job the first time, properly. I don't have the time to make extra trips because a tool fails when I need it. And to me, that's less expensive for me in the long run.

Mick
                                I see your dilemma with trying new tools Fireguy97. If I did not have local tool houses with outside sales people it would make my job a lot harder. They bring me new tools and they also help me with any issues that come up. The only good thing about being in a bigger area I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X