X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a Hilti?

So many people complain about the price of say a Hilti Hammer Drill compared to it's competition, say Bosch who I think is a strong competitor to them in the hammer drill market. If you talk to many guys who own Hilti's they swear by them, but then you talk to some guys who have owned others who have used Hilti's who can't tell the difference.

Many say that the price of your average Hilti hammer drill is about twice the competition's price for equivilent models. So I'm curious for those of you who swear byyour Hilti's, if you can please justify this price difference. What EXACTLY do you get with the significant price difference between a Hilti and say a Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc.

What big and/or little things justify this price? Aesthetic? Performance? durability? quality? where it's made? Perhaps it's a combination of a bunch of little things that add up? Is it the service?

Re: Why a Hilti?

Scott I worked as a telephone lineman for many years and during that time I saw the transition from hand tools to power tools for such tasks as drill runs in masonry and penetrations through masonry walls. We used several different brands and models of hammerdrills including hitachi, bosch, milwaukee and hilit. Hands down the hilti drills and bits outperformed all the others. Personally I have had good performance from my milwaukee Falcon hammerdrill for home use, but I remember that on the job similar models did not hold up to the constant use and abuse. Hilti seems to be made tougher and stronger in my opinion. I had one TE5 that I used to make anchor holes in brick all day long and it lasted for years! I don't know if they are still made that well because I've been retired for ten years, but if they are then I'd say they are worth the extra money. I'm a big believer in buying once, buying the best and buying a little stronger than I need (overkill). This approach does not work for everyone, some guys will go middle of the road and expect to replace or upgrade more often. Depends on your budget and business plans among other factors. IF you work in high crime areas would you rather have a $150.00 or $500.00 tool stolen?

Comment

Speaking of Hilti, they are launching a new product line of Lithium ion tools. First up is there new SFH 18-A CDLS Hammer drill/driver. You can read all about why you should pay more here.

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/556869

However they failed to mention it's actually a 21volt system.

Comment

Franki,
        The Company bought the Hilti.

If a guy has money to burn.Wear Redwings and buy Hilti.
        Me I'm poor.
        So it's Wolverine and bosch.

My bosch,makita are workhorses.
        I don't need 40,000 hrs out of the tool.It will be outdated(heavy and slow) before it wears out.I've got years on my non hilti with no signs of quiting.

Now if you want to talk powder actuated.My hilti DX-460F-10 and DX-350 can not currently be touched by others.I don't even know if anyone else makes a 10mm gun.

Comment

[QUOTE=drtyhands;215855]Franki,
          The Company bought the Hilti.

If a guy has money to burn.Wear Redwings and buy Hilti.
          Me I'm poor.
          So it's Wolverine and bosch.

I actually think Hilti gave them some drills in return for buying the bits! Can you believe there was more profit for Hilti in selling bits? I remember seeing the sales lady for Hilti, she was a stunning young blond and I'm just glad the tools worked well because our formen would have ordered rocks from her.
          I'm no money guy, but I grew up watching my Dad buy cheap to save money since we didn't have much and a lot of his stuff didn't hold up too good. Hey, you do what you can with what you got. I said earlier I don't like to buy the same thing over and over if I can get it better and stronger to begin with but there are some exceptions. Usually if I'm not familiar with a machine or tool I might go less expensive to try it out or get the feel. I really take care of my things, clean them after use and maintain them the best I can. Nothing wrong with Wolverine or Bosch

Comment

Do hereby let it be known that anymore too many RED WING boots and shoes are made in China. It makes the sales people puke and me angered at them. They were a USA all the way company but now they have lowered themselves to having their products made using child slave labor in some hell hole sweat shop. GRRRRR

I have it on good faith from one of the RED WING store owner-managers that the #202 work boots are still USA made and most of what's in them is also USA made. The others??? You have to look at them carefully.

As for HILTI products the keyword is QUALITY and SERVICE. Personally I have yet to own any of their tools, but I have used several and think they are tops. Sometime I'll have my own HILTI Roto-Hammer Drill and a good selection of bits for it. The old $$$ factor ... well that's ______
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

It just goes and goes and goes.

And I like my RedWings too.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Out of curiousity, where are Hilti power tools made? (and please continue responding to my original post starting this topic).

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Nice drill moneybags.

Comment

Actually I think change may be in order.

Now that I'm in service work I will be spending most of my time standing around impressing people with my image and my new practice of ego messaging...I think they will last for quite a while.

Yes,I can now wear them again.

The Ridgid forum has taken me a very long way.

Thank you guys

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Nice drill moneybags.
                      Moneybags???

Compare it to Hilti. Same performance, less than a third of the price.

J.C.

Comment

Moneybags???

Compare it to Hilti. Same performance, less than a third of the price.

J.C.
                        Redwings?

Comment

Redwings?
                          I've worn Rocky's, Hermans, Gorillas (Yes), Redwings, Timberlands etc.

I've found that the Minnesota made Redwing 953's last the longest for me AND have the most comfort. Other brands I've had in the past-first thing I wanted to do when I came in was get them off my feet. Not with the Redwings. Plus they have the smooth sole I like. NC is eat up with all types of clay that will give you "moon boots" most days doing what I do. Not to mention it keeps debris out of peoples homes.

Need a final justification. Most on the Forum know how cheap I am. I wouldn't purchase them without benefits to justify price.

J.C.

Comment

I've worn Rocky's, Hermans, Gorillas (Yes), Redwings, Timberlands etc.

I've found that the Minnesota made Redwing 953's last the longest for me AND have the most comfort. Other brands I've had in the past-first thing I wanted to do when I came in was get them off my feet. Not with the Redwings. Plus they have the smooth sole I like. NC is eat up with all types of clay that will give you "moon boots" most days doing what I do. Not to mention it keeps debris out of peoples homes.

Need a final justification. Most on the Forum know how cheap I am. I wouldn't purchase them without benefits to justify price.

J.C.
                            Now you had to go and hurt my fillings again.
                            Why would feel you needed to explain yourself to little ole me...

Comfy Moneybags

Comment

Now you had to go and hurt my fillings again.
                              Why would feel you needed to explain yourself to little ole me...

Comfy Moneybags
                              So you could have some justification for some comfortable boots.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X