Ridgid Generators!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Generators - Where are they?

I tried looking in 4 different Home Depot locations and couldn't find either model on display or in stock. Have any of you seen them during the month of June in a Home Depot near you?

Comment

Re: Ridgid Generators!!!

I saw them in Atlanta. I know some place have had trouble keeping them in stock but I am surprised that you found that at four locations. I'll ask the sales people to see if there are any regional issues.

Comment

The Natick MA HD store does still have at least one. I notice that the web site however does not find any RD6800.

Perhaps HD considers them to be a seasonal item, but don't really know. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
          I saw them in Atlanta. I know some place have had trouble keeping them in stock but I am surprised that you found that at four locations. I'll ask the sales people to see if there are any regional issues.
          Thanks and please let us know. As you know I'm in the Washington, DC area. This is the time of year for pop-up T-storms and such. That means power failures. Needless to say people use them for all sorts of things, but I did notice the total stock of portable generators at both Home Depot and Lowes in my area was very low.

Comment

They don't seem to be scarce here in NJ, I have spotted both models at times over the past couple months at local stores. I'm leaning toward the 8KW model, ideally I'd like a 10 or 12 though.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Bob D

Thanks for the info. I think it may be my area here. It's not just Home Depot either. Other big box stores and even power equipment dealers are short on supply.

Comment

I just got the 6800 in a store near Charlotte NC. They only had one of the 6800 and one of the 8000, and had very little shelf space left. I don;t think they stock too many of them, especially this time of year.

Regarding previos posts about the different engines-
                I had a Powermate with a Subaru engine and I loved the Subaru engine. The Yamaha engine on the 6800 runs smoother and starts easier than the Subaru did. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I prefer the Yamaha.

Comment

sdk8103

Are you saying to purchased one, or do you mean that you saw them in a Home Depot near you? As for Yamaha air cooled gasoline engines the ones I have seen and heard running seem very nice. Yamaha has a nice lineup of portable generators under their own name too.
                  This big dealer has loads of info about them on their web site.
                  http://yamahagenerators.com/home.php
                  Last edited by Woussko; 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Both.
                    Last edited by sdk8103; 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

After you have run it more, please post about how you like/hate it and other info. We all like follow-up reports. I hope it works out great for you and your needs.

Comment

I only have it about a month. I had a Powermate that I bought from Home Depot about 18 months ago. I had been looking at them for a while and all of a sudden they had a big sale and they were $400 instead of $600, so I bought it. They say to run them monthly, which I did and it worked great. A couple of months ago when I started it it wouldn't produce electric. I will make a long story short, but Powermate went bankrupt about the time I bought it and there was no warranty on my unit from day 1 and the repairs were going to be almost $500. The service place said it was a manufacturing defect. I didn't know what to do so I wrote HD. I suspected they knew Powermate was bankrupt and that they were trying to get rid of these machines with that great sale and that they knowingly sold me a machine with no warranty. I admitted that at that price I probably would have bought it with no warranty based on Powermates reputation if they had told me so, but I was not given all the details and I felt cheated. They called me and told me how sorry they were that I was dissapointed and to bring it back for full credit towards any new generator. That is how I wound up with this one. While it was a pain to go through all of that, I am glad it happened. This machine is well built, a little louder than the Powermate with the Subaru engine (but it is 6800 watts instead of 5000), and the zero gravity feature makes it very easy to move 225lbs plus about 50lbs of gas around. I feel like this is more commercial grade than the last one. We'll see.

Comment

Good luck with your new one. If you ended up having to keep the Powermate, you might have had the generator end removed from the engine and obtained another similar generator with a blown up or worn out engine. A good shop can put them together and you end up with a good working cross-bred generator. Normally engines fail long before the generator end does. Anyway, I think you are better off now with the new one. I bet you'll like it and get lots of use from it too.

Comment

Does any one know what the DB rating is for the 8000 watt?

Comment

Originally posted by JWM View Post
                              Does any one know what the DB rating is for the 8000 watt?
                              On a Subaru-Robin generator that's close to what the Ridgid is, they rate their's at 76 dbA at 7 meters. They use an EH41 engine with special exhaust. The Ridgid uses an EX40 engine and from what I can find on the Subaru-Robin web site, I would expect the noise to be close. Both engines are in the 13-14 HP range and are 1 cylinder. On a generator it will run at about 3600 RPM under load. If you need something quieter, you may have to check out a large inverter model. I haven't seen any much over 5000 Watts but I'm sure they are in the works. At one time Honda had a very nice 2 cylinder engine model with a sound deadening enclosure on wheels that would have been nice only it was big $$$.

What I can say is that if you need close to 8000 Watts and it has to be quiet you may end up having to put up some type of barrier such as a wall made from bails of hey or such.
                              Last edited by Woussko; 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I've looked around for a good portable generator in the 8-10Kw range for house backup power and I'd pretty much decided on the RD8000. My only concern is the voltage regulation since I plan to run computers with it. The website claims that an "Armour" alternator and a voltage regulator are used to keep the output clean but I can not find additional info on it. What has been your experience in terms of voltage regulation with either the 6800 or the 8000 model?

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X