Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Generators!!!

Originally posted by JimSteiner View Post
    I've looked around for a good portable generator in the 8-10Kw range for house backup power and I'd pretty much decided on the RD8000. My only concern is the voltage regulation since I plan to run computers with it. The website claims that an "Armour" alternator and a voltage regulator are used to keep the output clean but I can not find additional info on it. What has been your experience in terms of voltage regulation with either the 6800 or the 8000 model?

Thanks,

Jim
    If you're looking at voltage regulation, especially when it comes with sensitive electronics being hooked up, what about using one of Monster Cable's "Monster Power Center" surge bars? I just got the HTK1000 MIII (I believe that's right) for all of my home audio/video stuff. It's one of the ones that has a digital readout on it for the voltage levels. It then also has a Clean Power filder/moderator that helps ensure proper voltage output, and filters out the "dirty" power. My home voltage is not consistent, even in a fairly new subdivision with excellent power hookups and newer technology put in place from the utilities company. I've seen the voltage fluctuate between 118 to 124 volts - that's a fair little shift, and something that would be even more noticable to a computer, I'm presuming.

I would recommend something like this item for your needs.

Comment

You might want to look into a true full online UPS such as an APC "SmartUPS" for the computer. They make good power conditioners and when power fails you have instant backup so your computer never knows the power failed. The problem is they aren't exactly cheap.

I'm thinking of the ones for intended servers and not for home PCs but they work great for PCs too.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
        These are just hitting now. Frame is in the stlye of the pressure washers. Call it a zero gravity feature as the unit balance really well when pulling around (no more back breaking wheelbarrow style transport.) Removable front panel is cool. You can take four 120v outlets to the place where you need power with the addition of an included 25 foot cord (you can add two more cords if you like for a total of 75 feet.) On both units, you can turn off the generator from the panel. On the 8000w, you can start it back up with the electronic ignition. If there are any other questions, let me know.
        Does anyone have experience with the RD 8000?

Comment

I just picked up a RD8000 last night. We had a major storm that came through the mountains. It dumped +13" of rain in 1 day. Well power is still out and I've been running it a few hours.

I did measure the AC harmonics out of the generator and it's a bit noisy. It's good for almost all electronic items but I do run it through a APC 2200VA battery backup. Then all my computers and such plug into that. I can shut down the generator towards the evening as it's a bit noisy.

Has anyone built a sound enclosure for the RD8000?

Comment

Anyone know if the RD8000 recharges the battery during operations?

Comment

Yes, the battery recharges while unit is running according to page 15 of the Operator's Manual. They also say that the battery may not be charged when you first purchase the generator. I'm not sure how to charge it prior to the first run. May just have to use the old elbow grease and crank it the first time.

Comment

I have used the RD6800 generator for two storms in 2011, logging over 70 hours. It is a beast. It is very solid. The engine runs incredibly smooth but is on the louder side. I went across the street to my neighbor's house which is about 60 yards away and the noise was noticable, but if their windows were closed it wouldn't be bad. It was very conservative on gas. I ran my natural gas boiler, a refrigerator, chest freezer, AT&T Uverse equipment, LED TV, home theater receiver, multiple incandescent lamps, home network and two laptops at the same time and the power gauge was at 9%. Lamps were off and on to conserve electricity. Only when I used the microwave and coffee machine did the unit spike to just under 50%. I never saw a load higher than that, nor did I try to get that to happen. I did not test it with my clothes dryer or range. The unit sipped gas. I didn't load it too heavily, and it was very efficient. I changed the oil a number of times just to ensure good operation. I was thoroughly impressed with it. I had no problems with my sensitive electronics, but I did run my TV and home theater through a Monster Power strip that cost me about $200 so I am pretty sure the power was clean going through that. I also used an APC battery backup to power the home network as well to ensure clean power. The pull start wasn't as smooth as a Honda, but it was easy enough for my wife to start so that was a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                X