X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Generators!!!

Just ran across these new Ridgid generators on their website. Have they been out long? Looks like a cool thing to have. Later!

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Generators/EN/index.htm

Re: Ridgid Generators!!!

I heard from the local rep that they are brand new for 2009. He had no other details to share about it. Thanks for the photo's!

Comment

These are just hitting now. Frame is in the stlye of the pressure washers. Call it a zero gravity feature as the unit balance really well when pulling around (no more back breaking wheelbarrow style transport.) Removable front panel is cool. You can take four 120v outlets to the place where you need power with the addition of an included 25 foot cord (you can add two more cords if you like for a total of 75 feet.) On both units, you can turn off the generator from the panel. On the 8000w, you can start it back up with the electronic ignition. If there are any other questions, let me know.

Comment

They look interesting. Did anyone notice the Yamaha engine on the smaller model? Yamaha makes some models of Kohler Command engines and also has their own very nice line of portable generators.

I wonder if Home Cheapo will stock them or if we have to find them elsewhere. Anymore Home Cheapo only seems to have stock of real *&^% junk.
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-21-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

ProBrand, Any plans for something bigger with 220V?

I like the idea of a hand truck style frame, looks like
          it will be easier hauling around as you said. The remote
          panel is a nice feature too.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Saw one today at the HD, 8000 Watts, Subaru Motor. $1299

Comment

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/...58/0/home.aspx

http://www.robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=15

http://www.robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=11

Comment

6800 Generator First Impressions

I've been looking at new generators since ice storms took out the power for some other suburbanites in MA for 2-3 weeks this winter (Jan '09). My use is as a standby generator for just such occasions. Here's a few items I thought other folks might find useful if considering the 6800 for same:

• Until ~May 6th Home Depot is giving $300 off any $1000 power tool purchase. So I bought this for $899, then added $100 in misc other tools, less $300 = net $700. Plus Ridgid reps in store handed out 10% discount so actually $610. Awesome deal (and no shipping).
                • Seems very high quality construction. Easy to assemble (wheels). Just added oil (included) and was up an running in <1 hour.
                • The frame is solid as a rock, and moving the unit is very easy considering it is 225lbs. Getting out of my van was a 2 man job though.
                • If I were using it on a job site the detachable control panel would be very cool. Note you can only run 120v off the remote panel (220 is hard mounted on gen). Also the high-tech metering system only applies to the 120 outlets not the 240 outlet.
                • Unit does not come with an external 240v power cord in case you were wondering. You'll have to spring for that separately. I needed one to plug into my GenRad transfer switch. FYI those power cords are pricey. $100 for 20 ft seems like market price.
                • Be forewarned - this unit is loud IMHO. Now Ridgid's documentation nor box never promised any decibel rating (wished they had). But in real life would guess 70-80 db. In all fairness this is probably industry standard, but I don't see myself making friends with neighbors at this volume.
                • Email me if you'd like the 6MB operator manual (PDF) sent to you via email. I couldn't find it on this site, but customer support helpfully emailed me a copy which I can share if you'd like it.
                In summary you should now that I suspect this new genrac is a good value for the money - but I don't actually have (a) enough time yet or (b) haven't used it in enough weather conditions (winter/sub-zero) to say for sure. But certainly for the price, the initial quality of materials and ease of access to tech support (Sat morning by phone) I'm impressed so far.

After I use it once or twice under real conditions I'll post again with an update.

Best,
                Paul

Comment

Sounds interesting. The noise thing may be an issue. But I wouldn't go for the Yamaha one - I have the 3000 psi pressure washer with the Subaru/Robin engine, and I just absolutely love it; very dependable quality.

Might be something to look into shortly - I'll need something for this fall's moose hunting season.

Comment

does anyone know if ridgid pressure washers are considered power tools? reason i ask ridgid has them listed under power tools but HD has them under outdoors?

Comment

Outdoor power tool.

Comment

HD says it does not include outdoor power tools.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeitz View Post
                          does anyone know if ridgid pressure washers are considered power tools? reason i ask ridgid has them listed under power tools but HD has them under outdoors?
                          Two different businesses, two different filing methods.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                            These are just hitting now. Frame is in the stlye of the pressure washers. Call it a zero gravity feature as the unit balance really well when pulling around (no more back breaking wheelbarrow style transport.) Removable front panel is cool. You can take four 120v outlets to the place where you need power with the addition of an included 25 foot cord (you can add two more cords if you like for a total of 75 feet.) On both units, you can turn off the generator from the panel. On the 8000w, you can start it back up with the electronic ignition. If there are any other questions, let me know.
                            New to this forum and this thread. Our old genset got caught in last August's flood waters so we're looking for a new and larger one. Saw the larger model of Ridgid's two gensets in H-D last week; personnel still don't have much info to offer. More useful info here!

Since we're talking some serious investment I'm interested in whether anybody has knowledge (first-hand or anecdotal) of any negative experiences with the RD8000. It looks like what we need but I don't want to leap off into an unknown and potentially unreliable piece of equipment (when you're waist deep in hurricane flood water reliability is an essential commodity).

I d/l'd the spec sheet for the Subaru engine but they don't mention the running Db level. Has anyone got any info on that?

Lauren

Comment

For those looking for the 6800 user manual I have posted it for download at http://www.sendspace.com/file/091vul

Comment

Working...
                              X