Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The little drill that could.

Hi Folks,

I thought that I would write a thread here to praise a tool since all we usually see here are problems and complaints.
    I bought the R82007 (12V LI Ion 3/8" drill) a month or so ago and have used it quite extensively in my line of work. The main reason I got it is so that I could carry it in my already heavy tool belt to do some of the drilling and screwing that comes with electrical work. This week I have been remodeling an old bar and running nothing but MC (armored cable) and using one hole straps to secure it. I've been using 1" long screws to strap it and have put up hundreds of those screws over the course 4 days on one battery charge! I never thought that I would be the kind of guy to like a light on a drill (sissy stuff), but let me tell you "I love it." So handy! Its such a lightweight but powerful little drill.
    Now, I haven't really used it for any heavy drilling or screwing, but I was always taught that there's a right tool for every job. I didn't buy this 12V drill for that stuff. I bought it for exactly what it is. A lightweight drill that I can keep in my tool belt all day long. For the bigger stuff I also recently purchased the new X3 hammer drill. Haven't got to test it out quite yet for all applications, but I am eager to. So far the X3 is very good. It is very comfortable and the mode selector switch is very nice.
    I (like many others) am the victim of a 5 year old burnt out dewalt set and am switching over to Ridgid so I don't have to switch over again.
    I encourage more people to sing the praises of their tools to help people in their decision to buy Ridgid.

Re: The little drill that could.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R82007-L...l/EN/index.htm

I like that the handle is more centered. A front (nose) heavy drill gets tiring on the old hands fast. I bet people that have or will get this little drill will find it super handy for lighter work. When the going demands it, then get out the big bad 120 Volt spade or D handle workhorse drill.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes it's good to hear positive comments once in a while. What I would like to know is how it will performed in a year or two from now

Comment

Well I can answer how it is doing a year from now. I bought this drill just barely over a year ago and I still find myself using more than I ever thought I would. Batteries still hold their charge and really the only complaint I have is I wish that for some jobs it had a little more speed, but from what I understand the new 2-speed micro drill has that covered.

Comment

I've had mine for a year now. I bought mine back on March 4th, 2008, only a week or two after they came out. Still running strong - my use has been intermittent, with no use for weeks, but then lots of recharges and drains. A very varied usage. But, I can't complain, as the performance still seems on par with what it was on the day I took it out of the box.

The only wish I had was that more items were available back when I picked this up. Now, there is a small impact that Ridgid has come out with that works on this same 12V lithium battery format, and is in a kit with this drill. Also, I've seen it mentioned on here that a small LED light is out or will come out for this as well. I wish that these options had been out last March when I bought this drill, as I would have bought those as well. Instead, I bought the little Bosch 10.8V Impactor and the LED flashlight from Bosch that works with those same batteries, as Ridgid at the time didn't have these options/tools that I needed. Now, I have the three tools that I needed, but I have two different brand/make batteries. Still happy overall with all of these and the performance of each. But I just wish that Ridgid would be quicker on the draw for product releases and support. Even, if the Ridgid 12V impact and LED light were available as a stand-alone item, an add-on for those who bought the 12V drill when it first came out.

Comment

I've had my Bosch 10.8V drill for over two years. The battery life is incredible for the uses I put it through. I'm done putting devices in with a screwdriver, this drill lets me work about 4 times faster. I've used it to hang drywall, drive self tapers, install storm doors. You name it, I've probably used it for that purpose. I like that it fits in my pocket or tool pouch, weighs very little and has the LED light that comes on when you press the trigger. Great tool as I suppose the Rigid is.

Comment

I bought the little Ridgid 12 v drill, and the second or third time I used it it failed. I took it back and they were out so they gave me the newer version with two speeds and the flashlight. So far so good. I love this drill, as long as it doesn't fail; again.

Comment

The only thing that I have a problem with is that. They should make more tools for the line of Batteries. Like that one hand sawzall with a 12v battery would be great. I have the 18v pro set with Jig saw and 14v right ang. Impact. And the 12v drill too and it suck that I have to carry 2 Chargers and 3 set of batteries. I would like to see a pro set of Mini tools with the 12v batteries. Hand for light work. And in small places.

Comment

I've also had my 12-volt Li-on Compact drill/driver (R82007) for close to a year now. Battery life is rather unbelievable, for my use. The thing just keeps going and going and going. I probably haven't charged mine more than twice! The only problem I have with it, is the speed is rather slow for drilling and that is where I have found myself using it most often. But, it's a rather nice tool and for my home projects the power is more than adequate for drilling pilot holes, etc.

For driving most screws, it's got plenty of torque but I prefer leaving the R82007 to the drilling task and then use my Ridgid pivot driver for actual driving. Used together, the two power tools work well for me without having to change bits constantly, as I would if using only one power tool. Both are compact enough to easily carry, even when working up on a ladder.

I haven't seen the 2-speed unit yet and who knows when it will show up at my Home Depot. But it may be worth a look, if it ever arrives.

CWS

Comment

I saw the new 2 speed ridgid mini driver at HD today. it comes with a flashlight for $139. I'm thinking of getting it, since everyone raves about how powerful the 82007 is. I wanted to get the makita 10.8 set for $129, but the 5 HD stores I went to didn't have it!

Comment

Working...
                    X