Hilti Experience at Home Depot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilti Experience at Home Depot

I went to Home Depot today to buy some grass seed. While I was there I took a swing by the tools and as usual the Hilti rep was there setting up a display and looking very anxious to sell his products. I went about searching for some #2Phillips bits that would not explode from the impact of my Ridgid 12volt right angle impact and 18 volt impact drill. I saw some bits on the Hilti display, and some "impact ready" on the Dewalt display. The Hilti rep, Ray, asked if he could be of help and we started talking. I asked him If Hilti bits were impact rated as the Dewalt. He remained calm and professional as we went back and forth about the matter of quality, warranty and things of that nature. He said if a Hilti bit breaks, he or the other rep would replace it for free! Then he gave me a few bits! He said their bits are made in Germany and there is a difference between them and the DeWalt bits which are made in China. I thanked him and thought this guy went the extra step, so why not give them a try? The bits he gave me need to be used in a magnetic adapter because they are short bits with no detent for the impact tools. One pacakge is marked PH2 DRY, which I believe means for Drywall use? The other is marked PH3 TEK and has "Hilti, Germany " etched on each bit. Very refreshing to encounter someone who cares about the customer and their job.

Re: Hilti Experience at Home Depot

Please see both pictures of #2 Phillips hex bits. One is reduced or turned down for use with drywall screws and the other is a regular #2 Phillips. The tip ends are pretty close. The idea is so you can drive the screw heads below the surface and not have the bit scrape.
    Picture on right is a bit for Drywall screws.

I'll update this post when my brain can think of better wording.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Frankie I think it's great that you had a positive expierience at Home Depot. Not much of that going around lately.

When you come down off your 'Hilti High' of recieving a few free driver bits let us know how they hold up. I shattered a few Chinese cheapies the other day and it pissed me off.

For those of us that have to pay for them, did he say how much they cost?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Frankie I think it's great that you had a positive expierience at Home Depot. Not much of that going around lately.

When you come down off your 'Hilti High' of recieving a few free driver bits let us know how they hold up. I shattered a few Chinese cheapies the other day and it pissed me off.

For those of us that have to pay for them, did he say how much they cost?
        I'm still floating on a cloud of freebies, The Internet price was $8.95 but I think on the shelf they were $12.50 for ten bits? Bits wear and break, I expect that but like you pointed out the Chinese junk marked brand names doesn't hold up well at all.
        Just got back from trying a few bits on some phillips head screws that have been in my fence for a couple years. DeWalt #2 from Contractors pack with shank that fits the impact held up a while and then snap crackle & pop, goodbye tip. The Hilti "dry" (drywall) bit held up a little longer but also fell apart. The #3 Phillips bit the Hilti rep gave me was the "TEK" bit and I drilled a small pilot hole in a 4x4 and drove a three inch 5/16 screw all the way in until the impact would not move anymore. I back it out and did it again a good 1/8" below the surface and let the impact keep hitting although it was not making progress. The bit held up Now I wouldn't get too worked up until I did the same thing with a #2 Hilti TEK bit. I also would not throw away my DeWalt bits, like Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force " A Bit's Got To Know It's Limitations", or something like that.

Comment

I'm happy to read about something good at Home Depot and Hilti.

Frank, Have you ever tried out any APEX or WIHA bits? I wonder how they would take to your tuff testing. I know they do well with just rotation, but I have yet to attempt torture testing with impacting. When I do, I'll be sure to post some side by side test results.

As for the Chinese junk, please everyone think about your SAFETY and be careful using them.

The big APEX catalog - http://www.cooperpowertools.com/cata.../TC-100_EN.pdf

Update - 03/25/2009 @ 20:21 Eastern
          The smaller .PDF file (now removed) is not what I thought it was. The main catalog is what most of us can make use of.
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            I'm happy to read about something good at Home Depot and Hilti.

Frank, Have you ever tried out any APEX or WIHA bits? I wonder how they would take to your tuff testing. I know they do well with just rotation, but I have yet to attempt torture testing with impacting. When I do, I'll be sure to post some side by side test results.

As for the Chinese junk, please everyone think about your SAFETY and be careful using them.

APEX info - http://www.cooperpowertools.com/cata.../SP-334_EN.pdf

The big APEX catalog - http://www.cooperpowertools.com/cata.../TC-100_EN.pdf
            I read that some of the impact rated bits were made from "Tool Steel"? These by ACR sound very strong, one piece steel and then hardened.
            http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/HHP-...act-Driver-Bit.

Comment

hilti had a big display in the HD by ne for a long time but the last time i was there it is a small display now and not much there .a lot of there stuff is not cheep but it is worth the cost and i dont think the handy home owner will get it .
              we deal direct with a hilti rep when we get some thing
              i will have to look into the tips you got i hate when they break
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                hilti had a big display in the HD by ne for a long time but the last time i was there it is a small display now and not much there .a lot of there stuff is not cheep but it is worth the cost and i dont think the handy home owner will get it .
                we deal direct with a hilti rep when we get some thing
                i will have to look into the tips you got i hate when they break
                I agree that most homeowner?DIY'rs don't get it, the extra cost for better performance. I do get it and I'm willing to pay more for a tool that lasts and things like bits that don't shatter. Years back when I did drywall, bits held up real good and the bits I've used in my corded and cordless drills also held up, but those impacts are brutal! I'll take a ride back to HD and thank the Hilti rep, give him back the drywall bits because I hate to be wasteful when someone else can use them, and I'll buy the #2 TEK bits. I respect the guy for trying and appreciate the samples. Please let us know if your Hilti rep recommends the TEK bits. Frank.

Comment

Sorry - you guys use an Impact with phillips Bits? WTF?

You use an Impact for drywalling? WTF?

I bought some Made in CANADA, ROBERTSON Bits several monthes ago, that are made in the original Robertson factory. I paid more $$$ for them obviously but they are worth every penny. These bits have been excellent, haven't lost one yet. And this is using them without an Impact, but in my V28 drill, or my M12 screwgun, drills tending to be harder on bits than an impact because an impact slips (if that's the right terminology) to save/protect the bit but still finish the screw but the drills don't.

Comment

Working...
                  X