Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get the 24 volt lithium-ion battery packs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get the 24 volt lithium-ion battery packs?

I have only had the ridgid 24 volt power tool set (R854) for 9 months and now I can't find battery replacements for the tools. Why don't ridgid make that model anymore?

Re: How can I get the 24 volt lithium-ion battery packs?

Many people have had the same problem. I was lucky and found a starter kit with one battery and one charger for $69. I also picked up a 3pc kit on sale for $269, which gave me 2 more batteries and a charger. That's probably your best bet now, to try and find a kit on sale.

Comment

ebay

Comment

Originally posted by TerraluvsRudy View Post
        I have only had the ridgid 24 volt power tool set (R854) for 9 months and now I can't find battery replacements for the tools. Why don't ridgid make that model anymore?
        craigslist as well, specifically columbus oh!

Comment

Its now Apr 2010, I bought a 24 volt kit off Vancouver craigslist 2 weeks ago. Hammer drill, light, sawzall, charger and 2 24XLi batteries for $100. Concerned about the charger because the status lights do not work. Just shows red when I put the batteries in the charger and then green when batteries are charged after about an hour. No evaluate or status lights. So got back home and phoned a local Ridgid service center and mentioned that my batteries and charger not working and no receipts, service guy asked what date codes were on the batteries and charger. I said G0719, he says still within 3 year warranty, bring them in. Mentions that he just got a shipment of lithium 24 volt batteries. Scrambled over to service center, lady at front jots down my info, date codes and serials of the drill and charger. Guy brings out 2 new 24 volt batteries and a new charger. WOW, no questions asked, didn't even check the batteries, asked if I wanted to leave the old batteries or take them with me. I said I'll take them. Three weeks previous I bought a 24 volt impact with battery for $35 on Phoenix craigslist but no charger, battery date code of G0641, no luck getting that one replaced. Thats basically why I bought the kit for $100, just to get the charger for the impact.
          Last edited by pipsqueek; 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TerraluvsRudy View Post
            "Additional batteries" are best found on eBay. "Battery replacements" should be able to to be found at Ridgid Service Centers. To find one near you skroll down to bottom of page and follow steps from Ridge Tool Co. If you have receipts or LSA, they should be replaced at no cost......Good luck, Ray
            Last edited by roadrashray; 04-29-2010, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Yes I've seen some of those ebay batteries, date code beginning with CS. I guess I could sell my CS0945 batteries on Ebay then they become legit "additional batteries". Considering the fact that Ridgid no longer sells the 24 volt batteries, (looking at my date code of 0945, Ridgid looks to be still manufacturing them) at least I guess I got creative trying to find batteries for my own use, rather than scamming the service center so that I can sell them on Ebay. I did try to get dead batteries from a service center thinking I could scavenge e-moli lithium cells (most defective batteries have at least half the cells that are still good) and rebuild my batteries but the manager said no because too many guys are taking the dead batteries and trying to claim warranty.
              Last edited by pipsqueek; 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

pipsqueek

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
                Thread of the Week Award(s): 0
                Default Re: How can I get the 24 volt lithium-ion battery packs?
                Its now Apr 2010, I bought a 24 volt kit off Vancouver craigslist 2 weeks ago. Hammer drill, light, sawzall, charger and 2 24XLi batteries for $100. Concerned about the charger because the status lights do not work. Just shows red when I put the batteries in the charger and then green when batteries are charged after about an hour. No evaluate or status lights. So phoned a Ridgid service center and mentioned that my batteries and charger not working and no receipts, service guy asked what date codes were on the batteries and charger. I said G0719, he says still within 3 year warranty, bring them in. Mentions that he just got a shipment of lithium 24 volt batteries. Scrambled over to service center, lady at front jots down my info, date codes and serials of the drill and charger. Guy brings out 2 new 24 volt batteries and a new charger. WOW, no questions asked, didn't even check the batteries, asked if I wanted to leave the old batteries or take them with me. I said I'll take them. Three weeks previous I bought a 24 volt impact with battery for $35 on Phoenix craigslist but no charger, battery date code of G0641, no luck getting that one replaced. Thats basically why I bought the kit for $100, just to get the charger for the impact.
                Originally posted by pipsqueek View Post
                Yes I've seen some of those ebay batteries, date code beginning with CS. I guess I could sell my CS0945 batteries on Ebay then they become legit "additional batteries". Considering the fact that Ridgid no longer sells the 24 volt batteries, (looking at my date code of 0945, Ridgid looks to be still manufacturing them) at least I guess I got creative trying to find batteries for my own use, rather than scamming the service center so that I can sell them on Ebay. I did try to get dead batteries from a service center thinking I could scavenge e-moli lithium cells (most defective batteries have at least half the cells that are still good) and rebuild my batteries but the manager said no because too many guys are taking the dead batteries and trying to claim warranty.
                I am going to jump in here because your posts contain several instances of misinformation and other points that need clarification. You have been very cute, bragging about how you were able to "game" the Ridgid warranty procedure by getting tools you purchased used replaced under warranty and then disingenuously implying you are a honest guy because you didn't "scam" the service center. You were simply the lucky recipient of a incompetent service center. Some on this forum will say it is always OK to rip off a large corporation. You did do that, however I resent you coming on here and being cute about it and plastering your posts all over other threads.
                1)The service center where you took your tools and provided you with replacements under the "three year warranty" did not follow Ridgid procedures in several areas.
                1-A) The three year warranty like the LSA is only intended to be provided to the original purchaser. They should have asked you to provide proof of purchase, such as a receipt. You are one of the people circumventing the intent of Ridgid by purchasing a ridgid product used and defective on Craigs list, eBay, or some other place and scamming the system by getting the product repaired by a service center that does not follow the procedures.
                1-B) The service center should have demanded the defective batteries for exactly the reason that you have noted. That is the Ridgid procedure for service centers when replacing defective or worn out batts. Ridgid does not want you, or someone you sell the batts to, to then take them to another service center for replacement or for people to sell them in a defective condition to some other person. At least the service center didn't compound their sloppy lack of procedures by turning over a bunch of defective batteries to you, for whatever purposes you chose.
                1-C) The service center should have tested the batteries and the charger to determine which items needed replacement. They may have replaced a perfectly good charger or batteries due to their failure to follow procedures.
                2)Ridgid certainly does continue to manufacture 24V LI batts for replacement to legitimate purchasers of their products under the three year warranty or LSA. They will be required to continue to replace those batteries for many years to the thousands of legitimate purchasers. The 24V LI batts continue to be offered for sale at the only distribution point they have ever been sold(they have never been offered as individual items at Home Depot) in the US. It is a distribution company named Gardner which I believe can be contacted at 1-866-539-1710. If that number is not correct, contact Ridgid customer service and they can provide it. In Canada you might be able to purchase them at CHC Wholesale at 1-866-808-6500.
                To close, you should not have been able to "game" the Ridgid warranty system if your Ridgid service center had been competent. You were very lucky and others should not plan to purchase used Ridgid tools and hope to be the beneficiary such incompetence, though of course they might....Ray
                Last edited by roadrashray; 04-29-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I resent being told to be honest, by buying scammed batteries off ebay, because somehow they're legit. Who is spreading misinformation? Your previous post mentioned nothing about Gardner or CHC as a distribution channel, only ebay as a "legitimate" source. Why don't you go spank those ebay sellers who game the system on your way to save the world.
                  Last edited by pipsqueek; 05-01-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Searched EBAY and found some new 24 volt batteries. One of the sellers, who have more than 10 available, stated that the date code is 1001 at least. Manufactured this year!

Comment

YEA, old pipsqueek's a thief. Dam, he told the world and pissed off rigid, that really funny. He appears to not be very brite.

Comment

Lol. I guess there is something to be said about putting my foot in my mouth. Just like you opening your mouth Kleghorn. Looking at your grammar and spelling you don't look like the brightest tool in the tool shed either.

Comment

I am not posting this as an advertisement. I am posting this to inform "Tucson" and others about this vendor because I have used them more than a few times and have found them to be a good vendor to work with for power tool batteries. I have had nine (9) DeWalt Ni-Cad battery packs, and four (4) Black & Decker Ni-Cad packs rebuilt by this vendor. They state that they do have the Lithium-Ion cells for some packs available for rebuild. My packs have been turned around within one week. I'm sure they have packs ready for shipment on these common packs. I use "Prime-Cell", and I believe they are in Pennsylvania. They can be found via the web. I have been happy with the rebuilt packs, they are rebuilt using 2400 mAh cells vs. the 12 mAh cells and area certainly stronger and last longer per charge. The cost per pack rebuilt is approximately one-half the cost of a new pack. AGAIN- I am only a satisfied customer of this vendor. I'm sure there are other vendors out there who do the same. David

Comment

Working...
                          X