X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 18v compact NiCads suitable?

I currently have an R8001 3/8" cordless drill kit with two 18v compact NiCad (1.25AH) batteries . Are these batteries sufficient to power a Maxselect R884 (dual voltage} reciprocating saw? A rep at the Rigid phone service center told me these batteries would not work with this saw.

I think that these batteries should be able to run the saw, although at a lower efficiency due to being 18v vs 24v, and for a shorter duration due to their low, 1.25 AH capacity. My understanding is that the AH rating is a measure of the total available power and will determine how long a battery will drive the equipment but does not affect the instantaneous power draw needed to run the equipment.

This saw would only see light usage around my house and boat where around 10 minutes of cutting time/charge would be more then adequate. Would my current batteries meet this requirement?

Re: Are 18v compact NiCads suitable?

It should not be a problem. You are correct the run time won't be great. However, the MaxSelect tools were designed for 18 or 24 volt, NiCad or Lithium. They'll run.

Comment

My dad runs the MaxSelect circular saw on the 18 volt nicads and it runs just fine and the run times are very respectable.

Comment

The batteries will run fine, but I suspect you will be really disapointed with the run time.

Once you get the saw you will use it a lot more than you are expecting to now, and will really want more batteries.

Get the saw, you will like it; all I'm saying is that once you get it, you will be looking around for a new kit to get a couple more batteries.

Comment

just my two cents:

i bought the max select recip saw the other week and put my 18V LI Ion in it. it ran, and it cut some 1/2" metal conduit, but i was not too impressed. i understand the motor was built with the 24V in mind. i used to use the dewalt 18V XRP saw-zall, and the max select seemed to run at half the speed i was used to. so yesterday i traded it in and bought the new 5 pc X3 kit. what a difference!!

my advice, if you don't need any other tools, just the recip saw, then get it and try it. you have 90 days to make up your mind. i needed more power than what the 18V battery was giving me.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
            Bought the saw today and based on a quick trial, it will be adequate for my needs.

Comment

Working...
            X