Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita 36V

From the Canadian Makita site:

http://makita.ca/index.php?event=tool&id=823&catid=2

Maybe they figured since DeWalt and Bosch aren't going to get their as*es and make some new 36V tools, they are going to do it for them.

Good show Makita!

Re: Makita 36V

Nice find!

Looks like they switched to 1.3 Ah cells, exact same that Bosch uses. Now would be interesting to compare this to Bosch, Hilti and Dewalt in terms of holes/Ah.

Comment

Ooohh, very nice! Check this out, look at the last picture at the bottom. It looks like a belt worn remote battery pack.

http://www.makita.co.jp/product/cate...1d/hr261d.html

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        Ooohh, very nice! Check this out, look at the last picture at the bottom. It looks like a belt worn remote battery pack.

http://www.makita.co.jp/product/cate...1d/hr261d.html
        Yup, with a cord.

Comment

I noticed the lower amp hour rating too. What cells are Bosch using again? the higher current versions of the current 18V Makita/Sony cells? I thought a few years ago they were talking about using iron phosphate types by Phostec. I guess that whole lawsuit thing with DeWalt must have put a stop to that. Phostec is/was a subsidiary of Hydro Quebec, who were supposedly "licensing" the technology from University of Texas, and they were all accusing A123 systems of stealing the technology. Wonder what ever happened with that lawsuit?

Anyway, the specs on this Makita SDS look pretty good, it will be a contender with the other high voltage units for sure. 2.2 ft-lbs matches the Bosch, on paper, I believe.

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
          Nice find!

Looks like they switched to 1.3 Ah cells, exact same that Bosch uses. Now would be interesting to compare this to Bosch, Hilti and Dewalt in terms of holes/Ah.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
            I noticed the lower amp hour rating too. What cells are Bosch using again? the higher current versions of the current 18V Makita/Sony cells? I thought a few years ago they were talking about using iron phosphate types by Phostec. I guess that whole lawsuit thing with DeWalt must have put a stop to that. Phostec is/was a subsidiary of Hydro Quebec, who were supposedly "licensing" the technology from University of Texas, and they were all accusing A123 systems of stealing the technology. Wonder what ever happened with that lawsuit?

Anyway, the specs on this Makita SDS look pretty good, it will be a contender with the other high voltage units for sure. 2.2 ft-lbs matches the Bosch, on paper, I believe.
            UT and HydroQuebec lost the suit because it was frivolous.

Makita uses LiMn2O4 Sony US18650V (1.5Ah, 14 A Max) and Bosch uses Sony US18650VT1 which are 1.3 Ah and have ~25 A max. There is a chance they use 10x US26650VT in that 36v makita, battery seems pretty beefy. I'll take it apart when I get one.

I just sold my 2nd 18v BHR240, man what a plastic turd that drill was.

I also highly doubt anybody will touch LiFePO4 because of their cost plus Dewalt lawyers will be all over them. It also doesn't make sense economically since Mn cells have half the lifespan of nanophosphate = more money for Makita. There is an "unknown" cell floating around that those battery rebuilding places use, apparently it's 3Ah, 26x700 and is nanophosphate.
            Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

So we've got a green Bosch with a belt adapter ripped off a Hilti...which mind you has had that for yeeears.

Innovation dept. must still be on spring break.

Comment

Not to piss on anyone's shoes in this thread, but here's a simple statement:

The invention of the cordless tool has been great for a lot of reasons, but I find that if you have a lot of tools, on the run, always working and what not...

The constant catching the product without the batteries charged, leaving the chargers plugged in all the time, batteries dying prematurely, not holding a sufficient charge, left out in the cold, can't switch the batteries quick enough, blah blah blah...

I find myself resorting back to corded drills lately. One less box to bring into the job, and the majority of my work is where an outlet is within feet.

Seeing a 36volt battery...I can see these things going the distance to what equates to motorcycle sized batteries on these cordless gems someday. "Oh yeah?!!! I got the Dewalt 88volt mega Silver Ion lithium special 19th Edition!"

There's cordless drills I've used that are so damn heavy that your wrist hurts just holding it. Crazy heavy, Crazy bulky, Crazy hard to get into places where you might need it, like sending screws into a cabinet wall for a RO system under a sink, or installing flue screws in a flue pipe on a closed quarters water heater installation.

Lots of great things about cordless products but I'm up to 30 chargers at this point, batteries galore and some of them are heading to landfills to contaminate the earth, sooner than later.

When I pull my corded tools off my truck, it's guaranteed they run, without this new lithion Ion AV434020-39P technology, or was it the 11199-144L-143 series? Hmm? Or am I mistaken it was the 413 series with ceramic housings, and of course, mail-in rebates for free beer cooler when you buy the 4 set that was once a trio...?

LOL! I can't believe I typed all this **** out. Can't laugh at your own jokes, who will.

Awe damn more silence.

(tosses battery packs into fire barrel, waits for neat colored explosion)
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-29-2009, 12:59 AM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I really think that the 36 Volt WOULD be a good idea IF they came with a corded adapter liked picked in that Japanese link. That way if you're drilling holes/need mobility you could just bring the drill with you to the location you are at and do the work, but if you decide you want to do some chipping you put the corded adapter on if you think the the chipping will take a while, which it typically does, plus it doens't work your battery so hard either.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    new lithion Ion AV434020-39P technology, or was it the 11199-144L-143 series? Hmm? Or am I mistaken it was the 413 series with ceramic housings, and of course, mail-in rebates for free beer cooler when you buy the 4 set that was once a trio...?

That's how I talk about my tools!

Comment

Say what you will about cordless tools but when the going gets tuff out come the corded power tools and they get the work done.

Comment

The won that lawsuit? I found this link, but the sources are not clear:

http://toolmodo.com/?p=65

Anyway, that's too bad the BHR240 didn't work out for you. I got the new version of that hammer a while ago, the one with the under mounted handle and shorter compact size, and I'm really impressed with it. Considering it's cordless and 18V, it hits harder than I expected, and unlike DeWalt they had the decency to include a chipping only mode. Which I'm pleasantly surprised can make fast damage to concrete slabs. It doesn't feel like a turd to me at all. Then again I don't go out of my way to handle plastic turds so.....

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                        UT and HydroQuebec lost the suit because it was frivolous.

Makita uses LiMn2O4 Sony US18650V (1.5Ah, 14 A Max) and Bosch uses Sony US18650VT1 which are 1.3 Ah and have ~25 A max. There is a chance they use 10x US26650VT in that 36v makita, battery seems pretty beefy. I'll take it apart when I get one.

I just sold my 2nd 18v BHR240, man what a plastic turd that drill was.

I also highly doubt anybody will touch LiFePO4 because of their cost plus Dewalt lawyers will be all over them. It also doesn't make sense economically since Mn cells have half the lifespan of nanophosphate = more money for Makita. There is an "unknown" cell floating around that those battery rebuilding places use, apparently it's 3Ah, 26x700 and is nanophosphate.

Comment

I can't find anything new on that lawsuit either but I don't think it's completely settled yet. I do believe I also read A123 is suing other manufacturers from infringement on their patents, including one of their competitors for the Chevy Volt contract. Anyway the only thing keeping Dewalt nano-batteries off the market and overpriced right now seems to be that they are being gobbled up by RC enthusiasts and tinkerers to take them apart! Makes it harder for us who actually want to use them in tools to find at competitive prices!

Comment

Exactly these battery companies aren't really that interested in selling to the hobby market because it's small potatoes. But most of these RC guys seem to hit Ebay and buy all the batteries so even the prices on there have gone up. You used to be able to get a 36V battery for $100 US. Not anymore.

Who knows what's going on with that lawsuit really. I have no idea where this Toolmodo site got that information because DeWalt is still pumping out the batteries.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                            I can't find anything new on that lawsuit either but I don't think it's completely settled yet. I do believe I also read A123 is suing other manufacturers from infringement on their patents, including one of their competitors for the Chevy Volt contract. Anyway the only thing keeping Dewalt nano-batteries off the market and overpriced right now seems to be that they are being gobbled up by RC enthusiasts and tinkerers to take them apart! Makes it harder for us who actually want to use them in tools to find at competitive prices!

Comment

Dewalt didn't include chipping mode on 18v because it would have very short runtime. 28v and 36v both have chipping mode. I compared them and 36v has 3x runtime despite having only 35% higher battery energy. The motor in BHR240 is wasteful and torque limiter kicks in too early with anything above 5/8".

Comment

Working...
                              X