Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor Help

Hi All
    I have a twin take electric Ridgid compressor. When the compressor needs to kick on to fill tank it will make a humming sound and pop a breaker. To get it running again I need to drain air from tank and re start. Can someone hep me fix this problem?

Re: Compressor Help

Originally posted by action View Post
    Hi All
    I have a twin take electric Ridgid compressor. When the compressor needs to kick on to fill tank it will make a humming sound and pop a breaker. To get it running again I need to drain air from tank and re start. Can someone hep me fix this problem?
    Is it pluged itno an extension cord?
    jamie

Comment

So, are you saying that on initial start with the tank empty, the compressor will work fine, but when the pressure drops and it's supposed to automatically restart, it acts like it's overloaded?

The wrong sized extension cord or a bad circuit will give you starting problems... but that's all the time. With operation as you decribed, it sounds like the pressure isn't unloading properly in the line between the pressure switch and the tank. For that, there are two valves that must operate properly.

In the line, or in most cases on the outlet from the pressure switch, there is a pressure release valve that is supposed to relieve the pressure between the compressor and the tank. At the point where that line enters the tank, there's a check valve that keeps the pressure in the tank from returning to the feed line from the compressor. The check valve rarely fails to operate because it's a fairly simple device. But, the pressure relieve valve requires action every time the pressure switch reaches it's maximum set pressure. When it shuts off the compressor, the pressure relief valve dumps the pressure from the line. You can usually here it.. it's that Shsssss that you hear the second the compressor stops.

If the pressure relief valve fails, then there's still pressue in the line AND in the cylinder. When the pressure switch signals the compressor to start again, it won't be able to turn over the pressurized cylinder and the motor will hum and overload, thus stalling.

Hopefully you're under warranty and the nearest service center can fix your problem. If not, find a local air compressor service place and have them take a look at it. A pressure relief valve shouldn't cost much, I would think.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

CWS
        I think you are right. thats exactly what is happening. Its not bleeding off and the motor wont start with that pressure on it. But when I drain tank it starts. We never run our compressors on extension cords. We plug them directly into the wall. This problenm has been existent for a week now and my guys just told me about it. I hope nothing else got damaged from them trying to run it.
        thanks
        Jack

Comment

Action,

Good luck on getting the compressor serviced. It shouldn't be a big problem or expense I would think. On some units (not sure with the Ridgid), the pressure relief valve may be assembled with the pressure switch and therefore listed in the parts list as a single assembly. In which case you're stuck with replacing the pressure switch too.

BTW, welcome to the Ridgid forum. This is a great place to discuss everything from your tools, projects, and even business. There's a "ton" of experience here and the members are great.

Welcome,

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X